Additive question

ChadS99SVT

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI DSG
I have been using the standyne stuff and on the bottle it says not to be stored below 32f. Anyone know WHY? I had left a half used bottle of it in my car and it saw temps near zero a few times and under 32f several times over the last couple weeks.

seems a little goofy that it's meant to prevent gelling yet can't be stored below 32f:confused:

basically should I toss it? I probably will just because it's so cheap.

DubFamily

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328D xDrive
Your answer is right on Stanadyne's FAQ believe it or not, must be a common question they get ;)

Q Why do I have to store Stanadyne fuel additives in a location that is above freezing?

A Because Stanadyne fuel additives will freeze in their concentrated form but not once they are added to the diesel fuel.
As far as discarding; I don't think freezing temps hurt it any, just freeze the liquid. Put it in a warmer place , give it a few shakes and it should be fine.

skinnyb

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI
I store mine outside in an unheated building and have never had an issue. It does seem to expand some as it gets colder but I halve the 8 ounce bottles so there is plenty if room for expansion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ChadS99SVT

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI DSG
Your answer is right on Stanadyne's FAQ believe it or not, must be a common question they get ;)

As far as discarding; I don't think freezing temps hurt it any, just freeze the liquid. Put it in a warmer place , give it a few shakes and it should be fine.
now that's a novel idea. look at their website. I should have thought of that lol.

Yeah which is strange because I don't think I noticed it freezing? but I didn't really check closely either.

sounds good then. glad it's not a huge deal.

rhpot1991

TDI
2012 Passat
Where is everyone ordering their stanadyne from? I've been buying a case at a time from the dealer for a discounted price.

ChadS99SVT

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI DSG
Where is everyone ordering their stanadyne from? I've been buying a case at a time from the dealer for a discounted price.
The dealer for me so far. I looked at getting some shipped but shipping costs make this option less attractive.

The first few bottles I was charged 7$ then the last couple times it was 4$ this past time I picked up 6 bottles at 4$ each. Cheaper or as cheap as anywhere online I've found.

DubFamily

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328D xDrive
Which Bottle size? You can buy the 16oz bottles (4 treatments) of Stanadyne Performance Formula for $7.95.

http://www.xtremediesel.com/stanadyneperformanceformulafueladditive38565.aspx

The shipping may make it not quite so "worth it" (estimate was $13 to ship 6 bottles to me, not too bad) however:

1. They are currently running free shipping on orders over $50, so 7 bottles and you get free shipping.

2. You can use the code "Diesel10" for 10% off site-wide; may make it even better assuming it still works.

Good luck!

rhpot1991

TDI
2012 Passat
When I got 8, I paid 3.60 a piece I believe. The 7 or 8 ounce bottle.