Additional CCM coding and configurations with VDS Pro

graeme86

Veteran Member
TDI
Not yet - fuel is too cheap! - 3.2 VR6 R32
Would also love to find out what it takes to add the auto-dipping passenger side mirror for parking (automatically dips mirror when system detects you're in reverse). I think the W8 Passats might have had this feature, no? I had thought of one other possibility as a feature to add with help of this hacking, but now can't remember what I was thinking of.
The auto-dipping mirror is controlled by the seat memory module on the electric seats. Reverse signal goes into this module, then information goes via CAN to the door motors.

You can have normal dipping memory mirror or a folding memory mirror, two different options. If you don't have folding mirrors with the special door motor required for that, you can still have dipping mirror with just a memory mirror, no need for a new door motor.

The next thing you need is the actual power mirror for memory, which has two extra potentimeters inside the motor to remember the positions.

The dip only happens when you have the mirror switch set on the passenger side position, so you can also turn off that feature by moving the mirror button.

Having said all that, there is an option on the 2008>> Argentinian & Brazilian Golfs I have found of having a dipping passenger mirror with normal seats as they have a special relay to control the mirror. You still need a memory type mirror with the extra potentimeters, but you do NOT need electric seats.

The relay is part number: 1JE 959 254 A for Golf

There is also another version for Polo, Fox, Gol, Voyage, Saveiro etc with part number 1JE 959 254

The relay basically intercepts the signals from the passenger door motor to the memory mirror, plus you need to add a reverse feed to the relay and there is one wire required from the drivers door mirror switch.

:)

graeme86

Veteran Member
TDI
On another matter, more on-topic, referring to the summary chart created by Arpy and translated by Nuje what exactly is happening with address 4370-4372 bit 1?

"Suitcase (presumambly "trunk") unlock, with rear door (ON = 0)"

Does the trunk unlock if someone opens a rear door? Or is it describing some other scenario?

cuppie

Veteran Member
TDI
02 B5.5 Passat 1.8t
On another matter, more on-topic, referring to the summary chart created by Arpy and translated by Nuje what exactly is happening with address 4370-4372 bit 1?

"Suitcase (presumambly "trunk") unlock, with rear door (ON = 0)"

Does the trunk unlock if someone opens a rear door? Or is it describing some other scenario?
That's referring to allowing the trunk lid / tailgate electric release enabled (read: "unlocked") when the rear doors are in an 'unlocked' state (via either the remote, or the central locking switch on the driver's door switch block.)
I do know from experience that simply opening a 'locked' rear door (say, the kid gets out of the car) won't automagically "unlock" the tailgate on my car.

See also my post (#787), on page 27.

graeme86

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks for response.
In this case then this bit sounds like it over-rides the "US separate third button unlock hatch with remote only".
What I mean is, if you enable this bit, it will allow a US car to unlock the hatch with all the other doors via the "unlock" on remote (like euro cars do), rather than only by the third button on remote independently of the other doors. (i.e. the normal the US locks setup).
And the third button just unlocks the hatch separately still.
Have I got that right?

cuppie

Veteran Member
TDI
02 B5.5 Passat 1.8t
Absolutely 100% correct, sir!
That one took quite a while to figure out - LOTS of reading a LOT of threads on several boards. But, it was well worth the research time.

Matt-98AHU

Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI, 2005 Passat wagon, 2004 Touareg V10.
Hmm, I thought with the Golfs that was addresses 04352-4.

Wagons it's 04361-3 just like it is for remote windows on the 1C0 modules.

At least that's how I've been doing it. Think I made a post outlining that somewhere in this big ol thread too. It for sure is way nicer to use. Should have been that way from the factory.

Just too bad I can't write to a central LOCKING module (crank window car) to effect the same change. I'm sure it will be at different addresses too.

cuppie

Veteran Member
TDI
02 B5.5 Passat 1.8t
How to disable open window and unlock door from key in driver doors ?
Not that I'm lazy - I just don't have the time to re-read the entire thread - but, I'm as sure that I can be that I saw that one discussed earlier in the thread. Should be somewhere in the first 10 pages, I think.

lijetta18t

TDI
2019 GSW 4mo 6MT
Hey everyone,

I have been building a large excel doc with all of the known CCM bits and most seem to only work for the 1C0 units. Is there a list of known 1J0 bits so I can update my document to share? I believe the 1J0 AH/AJ units are rather close to the 1C0 units besides the memory addresses and door coding addresses (for the comfort windows via fob) but it seems like the earlier 1J0 J units are slightly different. As I have no access to any of these modules, besides a 1C0 C on my cousins GLI, I do want to have a running list I can move to a google doc and share.

Something else I was curious about. Anyone have any idea what bits on what memory addresses modify selective and all doors unlock? (selective is the driver door only and press again for all doors and then all doors). @Matt-98AHU, when you were flipping every bit, did you ever com across this off chance?

lijetta18t

TDI
2019 GSW 4mo 6MT
I changed the coding on my 2nd MK4 1C0 CCM today on a US R32 and had a few questions:

I changed bit 7 on 04352, 04353, 04354 to allow the hatch to unlock/lock with the door locks which worked fine however, I wanted to see if this is normal operation:

If you unlock the car with it not running, the hatch stays unlocked until locked.
Once the car is running, you unlock the doors and the hatch will open once and then relock lock once it closes. The door hatch/trunk open button no longer works, which is expected, but does this mean the unlock button needs to be pressed every time or is there another bit I am missing?

US MK4 R32 stock coding is:

04352, 04353, 04354 = 200 (changed to 72 for hatch operation)
04355, 04356, 04357 = 4
04358, 04359, 04360 = 64
04361, 04362, 04363 = 138 (changed to 130 for comfort windows via fob)
04364, 04365, 04366 = 181
04367, 04368, 04369 = 255
04370, 04371, 04372 = 4

I also changed the VCDS softcoding from 00064 to 00065 to perform non-selective unlock to aid the unlocking.

Is this normal or is this something that can be modified?

The plan would be the person would like to be able to use the trunk open switch (if possible) but allow the hatch to stay unlocked while the car is set to on/running and unlocked.

I noticed one of the posts stated that the 130 (1 0 00 00 10) in 04361-04363 could be changed to 66 (0 1 00 00 10) but does anyone know what these bits actually do? I have not tested these yet. I noticed some Golfs have 74 ( 01 00 10 10 ) stock and some Golfs/Jettas/R32s have 138 ( 10 00 10 10 ) stock so I am trying to figure out what these two bits change.

Last edited:

graeme86

Veteran Member
TDI
If you unlock the car with it not running, the hatch stays unlocked until locked.
Once the car is running, you unlock the doors and the hatch will open once and then relock lock once it closes. The door hatch/trunk open button no longer works, which is expected, but does this mean the unlock button needs to be pressed every time or is there another bit I am missing?
I also changed the VCDS softcoding from 00064 to 00065 to perform non-selective unlock to aid the unlocking.

Is this normal or is this something that can be modified?

The plan would be the person would like to be able to use the trunk open switch (if possible) but allow the hatch to stay unlocked while the car is set to on/running and unlocked.
What you describe is exactly how my euro spec R32 hatch works.

You will also note that if the car is running and you press unlock button the hatch unlocks but it will relock itself after about 20 seconds if you do not open it up.

Also with a three button remote you can open hatch separately if car is locked etc with a long press.

By the way did you record which bits change with the selective locking?

Last edited:

lijetta18t

TDI
2019 GSW 4mo 6MT
What you describe is exactly how my euro spec R32 hatch works.

You will also note that if the car is running and you press unlock button the hatch unlocks but it will relock itself after about 20 seconds if you do not open it up.

Also with a three button remote you can open hatch separately if car is locked etc with a long press.

By the way did you record which bits change with the selective locking?
Sorry for the late reply. I set it via the soft coding but I do not think it made a change within the EEPRom memory addresses. There are a few bits I question on that they handle which I have been trying to figure out:

1C0:

04352-4:
Bit 3: RoW cars are set to 0 but NAR cars are set to 1 and I am unsure what change happens between these.

04355-7:
Bit 4: RoW cars are set to 1 but NAR cars are set to 0. I read somewhere deep in this thread that it is something to do with Enables/Disables code execution in EEPRom patch. I question this as why would US cars be different than RoW cars?

04358-60:
Bit 6: Only NAR cars have this bit set to 1. Normally, the entire memory address is 255=RoW LHD, 16=RoW RHD, and 64=NAR so I am not sure what this channel is for. I have a suspicion that it may have to do with the frequency the KeyFob runs on but no idea.

04361-3:
Bit 2: Just confirming this operation. I have heard either that is handles if the hatch can be unlocked/opened using the trunk (boot) button on the 3 button remote OR that if you use the key lock, it will also perform comfort windows up/down (just like the drivers door).

Bit 4: Someone mentioned that this set to 1 will wipe the rear hatch wiper when unlocked. Never tried it but any idea on this?

Bit 6: Set to 1 seems to have something to do with Passat B5.5 wagons but I also noticed that Golf/Jetta Wagons have this enabled as well. 0 is for almost everything else. Do B5.5 wagons and Mk4 Wagons not have a key lock on the hatch? My friend who had a mk4 TDI NAR Wagon for years said he does not remember having a key lock.

Bit 7: Only set to 1 on NAR cars and 0 on RoW cars. I have a feeling this might be for SAFE lock modules as I did enable on that US R32 and it threw a bunch of errors about missing door switches. Once switched back to 1, errors cleared no issue. I have not done any further testing as I only did that once. Remember that the NAR market does not get SAFE locks on any car unlike the rest of the world.

04364-6:
Bit 0: Only NAR cars have this set to 1 and RoW cars are set to 0.

Bit 2-3: Here is what I have noticed so far: NAR=01, RoW=11, and 00. I know these somehow handle the alarm arm/disarm with the keylock but is there a difference between these two bits?

04367-9:
Bit 0: Apparently will allow (0) or disallow (1) the electric folding mirrors to fold after moving 15kph or faster (found way back in this thread).

I know, thats a list. The things I find missing are:

Selective unlock setting (2 press unlock all doors or 1 press unlock all doors), Auto re-lock, SAFE lock settings, fob frequency adjustment, anything to do with interior dome lights (if possible), enable/disable rear wiper (on modern BCMs), or more stuff I am certainly forgetting at this moment.

I do have a full list of fully unknowns as all markets/cars seem to share these same bits set:

04355-7:
Bit 5 = 0

04358-60:
Bit 0, 1, 2 ,3 ,5 ,7 = 0

04367-9:
Bit 2, 3, 7 = 0

04370-2:
Bit 0, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 = 0 Bit 2 = 1

These are some to look into. Whatever you find, do let me know as I am actively updating my spreadsheet.

Last edited:

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
So, I have a 2001 Golf TDI with the 1J0 CCM and I am trying to figure out which sections have the info to change for the hatch unlock with the doors. I tried the 04352-4 but I found that is for the 1C0 CCM and so the value in my car is 255, or empty. Which bits have the hatch unlock and which bits should i change? I have Greg's vag-tacho alternative and am starting to learn my way around that, but cannot find the info, or i don't know how to search for the 1J0 ccm. Thanks!

Mozambiquer

TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
So, I have a 2001 Golf TDI with the 1J0 CCM and I am trying to figure out which sections have the info to change for the hatch unlock with the doors. I tried the 04352-4 but I found that is for the 1C0 CCM and so the value in my car is 255, or empty. Which bits have the hatch unlock and which bits should i change? I have Greg's vag-tacho alternative and am starting to learn my way around that, but cannot find the info, or i don't know how to search for the 1J0 ccm. Thanks!
Ok, so I actually got it now. Someone over on the free vag-tacho/VDS-pro thread had posted addresses, but I didn't know that binary was so different. I tried changing what to my head around have been bit 7 (the seventh from the left which was decimal 206) i tried that and it didn't work, but then I had (decimal 204 or 11001100 in binary) and I changed it to 01001100, which is decimal 76 and then it worked. It was addresses 04280,04286 and 04292. Now my hatch unlocks with the doors! I'm very stoked!

Last edited:

Matt-98AHU

Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI, 2005 Passat wagon, 2004 Touareg V10.
Something else I was curious about. Anyone have any idea what bits on what memory addresses modify selective and all doors unlock? (selective is the driver door only and press again for all doors and then all doors). @Matt-98AHU, when you were flipping every bit, did you ever com across this off chance?
I'm not sure which address it is. I never looked that closely for it because that's something that you can change in the normal scantool coding anyway.

A 4 door car with 1C0 module and power windows for example will default to a value of 258, you add one to the coding to make it 259 and it unlocks all 4 doors at the same time. The default 258 is for selective unlocking.

lijetta18t

TDI
2019 GSW 4mo 6MT
I'm not sure which address it is. I never looked that closely for it because that's something that you can change in the normal scantool coding anyway.

A 4 door car with 1C0 module and power windows for example will default to a value of 258, you add one to the coding to make it 259 and it unlocks all 4 doors at the same time. The default 258 is for selective unlocking.
Gotcha! I knew about the soft coding side of these CCMs but I just wasnt sure if it actually modifies the memory addresses on the EEPRom when you change these values.

Jussapitka

TDI
Seat Ibiza 1.9TDI PD130 Sport
Hello! You guys seem to know a lot about these nifty black boxes.

Does anyone know if there's a way to pop the hatch on a Golf Variant with the remote? Right now if I press the trunk button on my fob, it just lets me open the trunk with the button even with locked doors. I'm getting some springs to automatically open the hatch, and remotely popping it would be an important part of it.

Thanks in advance!

Mozambiquer

TDI
Hmm, I thought with the Golfs that was addresses 04352-4.

Wagons it's 04361-3 just like it is for remote windows on the 1C0 modules.

At least that's how I've been doing it. Think I made a post outlining that somewhere in this big ol thread too. It for sure is way nicer to use. Should have been that way from the factory.

Just too bad I can't write to a central LOCKING module (crank window car) to effect the same change. I'm sure it will be at different addresses too.
So, on a Passat wagon with the 1c0 module, I would change bit 7 on 04361-3 to 0 to enable rear hatch unlocked with doors?

lijetta18t

TDI
2019 GSW 4mo 6MT
So, on a Passat wagon with the 1c0 module, I would change bit 7 on 04361-3 to 0 to enable rear hatch unlocked with doors?
I would believe it would be 04352-54 Bit 7 change to 0 just like Golfs if you have a B5.5 Wagon. Keep in mind that the door hatch unlock button should no longer work. Check that and let me know. I think B5's might be slightly different and I remember seeing a post a while ago about that.

Mozambiquer

TDI
I would believe it would be 04352-54 Bit 7 change to 0 just like Golfs if you have a B5.5 Wagon. Keep in mind that the door hatch unlock button should no longer work. Check that and let me know. I think B5's might be slightly different and I remember seeing a post a while ago about that.
I tried that already, it didn't work on my b5.5.

Mozambiquer

TDI
Try this: 04370-72: change bit 1 from 1 to 0. On my list, it is listed as unlock hatch with doors for passat wagon.
I'll try that.

gmenounos

Vendor
TDI
'99.5 Golf GLS, '01 Jetta GLX Wagon (TDI conversion)
Does anyone know if there's a CCM EEPROM location (or soft coding or adaptation) that will extend the time that the light stays on in the hatch of a MKIV Golf? If I'm unloading groceries into the trunk at night, half the time the light goes off before I'm done and I have to hit the door unlock button on the remote to get the hatch light to come back on. Ideally I'd like it to stay on until I close the hatch.

lijetta18t

TDI
2019 GSW 4mo 6MT
Does anyone know if there's a CCM EEPROM location (or soft coding or adaptation) that will extend the time that the light stays on in the hatch of a MKIV Golf? If I'm unloading groceries into the trunk at night, half the time the light goes off before I'm done and I have to hit the door unlock button on the remote to get the hatch light to come back on. Ideally I'd like it to stay on until I close the hatch.
Nothing I know of. This might be hard coded somewhere in ROM unless it has to do with any of the unknown config bits.

Mozambiquer

TDI
Hmm, I think mine doesn't have a time out... Or at least I don't think I've had it time out on me. Could be 1j0 vs 1c0? I'll have to see if it does time out on mine...

Rob Mayercik

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS, Baltic Green/Beige
When it's doing this, is the hatch the only thing open? If so, maybe the little switch that tells the computer that the hatch is open is gummed up and is still reporting the hatch as closed?

Mozambiquer

TDI
Try this: 04370-72: change bit 1 from 1 to 0. On my list, it is listed as unlock hatch with doors for passat wagon.
Hey, finally tried this, and i finally got it to work! I do not understand binary, i guess, because I got the decimal value of 6 which my converter said was 110, well, i guess my converter was wrong, since it should have been 1100000 which I changed to 1100001 or decimal 97 which made it work to open the hatch with the doors unlocked. It sure had me puzzled for a while.

lijetta18t

TDI
2019 GSW 4mo 6MT
Hey, finally tried this, and i finally got it to work! I do not understand binary, i guess, because I got the decimal value of 6 which my converter said was 110, well, i guess my converter was wrong, since it should have been 1100000 which I changed to 1100001 or decimal 97 which made it work to open the hatch with the doors unlocked. It sure had me puzzled for a while.
Just seeing this now. What was your original decimal coding for these memory addresses? decimal value of 6 would equal binary 00000110. Changing bit 1 from 1 to 0 would change the binary to 00000100 or 2 in decimal. Remember that binary reads from right to left, not left to right. Also, binary reads 0 to 7, not 1 to 8.

I would be wondering what else was changed as it seems that bits 0, 5, and 6 are now set to 1 which was not set originally assuming your stock decimal value was 6. Do you notice any changes or issues since the modifications?

Mozambiquer

TDI
Just seeing this now. What was your original decimal coding for these memory addresses? decimal value of 6 would equal binary 00000110. Changing bit 1 from 1 to 0 would change the binary to 00000100 or 2 in decimal. Remember that binary reads from right to left, not left to right. Also, binary reads 0 to 7, not 1 to 8.

I would be wondering what else was changed as it seems that bits 0, 5, and 6 are now set to 1 which was not set originally assuming your stock decimal value was 6. Do you notice any changes or issues since the modifications?
Now I'm really confused... My original decimal coding was 6, I guess I need a different converter. Either way, it worked. I haven't found anything else that is different, so far.