Additional CCM coding and configurations with VDS Pro

cuppie

Veteran Member
TDI
02 B5.5 Passat 1.8t
Matt,
Thanks much for the effort. And, to help, I'll cross-reference that against my notes on the gate coding for the B5.5 wagon, so we aren't flipping bits that are, ah, already documented. :)

Auto-dip passenger mirror:
Not just Passat W8 - Passat GLX got it, too. It's a subfunction of 'power seats with driver's memory.'
I'm not sure, though, if the positions are stored in the RF door module, or in the driver's seat module.
Can look at the wiring diagrams, though - seeing which the mirror motor is wired to should tell that secret, I think.

Matt-98AHU

Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI, 2005 Passat wagon, 2004 Touareg V10.
Matt,
Thanks much for the effort. And, to help, I'll cross-reference that against my notes on the gate coding for the B5.5 wagon, so we aren't flipping bits that are, ah, already documented. :)

Auto-dip passenger mirror:
Not just Passat W8 - Passat GLX got it, too. It's a subfunction of 'power seats with driver's memory.'
I'm not sure, though, if the positions are stored in the RF door module, or in the driver's seat module.
Can look at the wiring diagrams, though - seeing which the mirror motor is wired to should tell that secret, I think.
Yeah, I'm not sure how the system gets the reverse signal.

There's also different part numbers for the window motors with the power fold option, is that also on the Passat GLX and W8? The central convenience module with the 1C0 959 799C part number is still used, but does have different software (there's a part number suffix to denote which).

I may have to grab a couple GLX/W8 window motors and a central module and see what's different. Fortunately, GLXs aren't too hard to come by at Pick n Pull around here. The power folding option is neither here nor there for me, but if I could figure out what needs to be changed to enable the auto dipping, that would be neat. Then have to figure out how the system gets the signal from the reverse switch.

Matt-98AHU

TDI
Well, looks like you're right. I see that the reverse light switch goes into the seat and mirror memory module from the wiring diagrams I'm looking at. I forgot that mirror position was also part of the seat memory deal. So I suppose it makes sense to also have the auto dip control in reverse as part of that system. And the power folding mirrors would have to have position sensors integrated so it knows exactly what position to put the mirrors in for both memory as well as the auto dip. So yeah, not an easy retrofit. Would have to partially wire in a power memory seat module just to get the auto dip feature along with having the different software level in the central module as well as the door modules and of course the power folding mirrors.

More than just a simple software hack, that's for sure.

seventi

TDI
passat b5
How to make full backup of CCM ?
OK., I can do it by easyCCM or VDS-PRO but I don't RS232 port and RS232 cable and DOS system.
I've Vag Can Pro (VCP) cable that can read eeprom but I don't know which adress is start and which is a end.
It's looks like this:
https://bit.ly/2tpqH6o
Does anyone know how to do it? I need to make full dump. Also I need to full dump of ECU - the same situation :)

cuppie

Veteran Member
TDI
02 B5.5 Passat 1.8t
Well, looks like you're right. I see that the reverse light switch goes into the seat and mirror memory module from the wiring diagrams I'm looking at. I forgot that mirror position was also part of the seat memory deal. So I suppose it makes sense to also have the auto dip control in reverse as part of that system. And the power folding mirrors would have to have position sensors integrated so it knows exactly what position to put the mirrors in for both memory as well as the auto dip. So yeah, not an easy retrofit. Would have to partially wire in a power memory seat module just to get the auto dip feature along with having the different software level in the central module as well as the door modules and of course the power folding mirrors.
More than just a simple software hack, that's for sure.
I'm not sure that you'd need a different CCM. Maybe compare dumps from each car, see if anything is different. Nice thing: it's damned easy to write a dump file to a CCM. :)
Window motors (or, really, the boards), yes, absolutely, those need changed (or modified.)
And, of course, some wiring added. I think that very topic was covered by Miguel early in the thread.

Last edited:

cuppie

Veteran Member
TDI
02 B5.5 Passat 1.8t
How to make full backup of CCM ?
OK., I can do it by easyCCM or VDS-PRO but I don't RS232 port and RS232 cable and DOS system.
I've Vag Can Pro (VCP) cable that can read eeprom but I don't know which adress is start and which is a end.
It's looks like this:
https://bit.ly/2tpqH6o
Does anyone know how to do it? I need to make full dump. Also I need to full dump of ECU - the same situation :)
From the docs that I have (which include a couple full dumps), CCM address range is 0x1000-0x51F8 hex (4096-20984 decimal)
Fun facts:
0x1000-0x11F8: CCM
0x2000-0x21F8: LF door
0x3000-0x31F8: RF door
0x4000-0x41F8: LR door
0x5000-0x51F8: RR door

cuppie

Veteran Member
TDI
02 B5.5 Passat 1.8t
Matt:
Here's some data / notes that I have.
04361-04363, bit 3 is 'windows via remote' (AKA "long known bit")
04361-04363, bit 1: Tailgate via remote (1=no, 0=yes)
also
04367-04369, bit 1: Also tailgate via remote (1=no, 0=yes)
(NOTE: changing BOTH bits was necessary to get the gate to release via remote, or via door switch.)

04352-04354, bit 7: Tailgate unlocked w/ rear doors (0=no, 1=yes)
bit 2: auto unlock at Kl0 (key off) (1=yes, 0=no)
bit 6: lock after driving off (1=yes, 0=no)
Also
04370-04372, bit 1 seems to have an effect here. (0=yes, 1=no.)
I've seen several CCMs where this bit was set to 0, but 04352-04354/7 was 0; gate was NOT enabled w/ rear doors unlocked.
My '02 had 04352-04354/7 at 0, and 04370-04372/1 at 1 originally; BOTH bits needed to be changed to get the gate to 'unlocked w/ rear doors unlocked.'

Last edited:

cuppie

Veteran Member
TDI
02 B5.5 Passat 1.8t
Jason,
Full disclosure: none of this was my work. I simply pieced together tidbits from this thread, and roughly a half-dozen others (here and elsewhere) to figure out how to have a B5.5 (U.S.) tailgate function like a ROW car. I wasn't randomly / experimentally flipping bits. :)

Now to turn off the "relock if no door opened" feature, if possible (only on the wife's wagon - I happen to like it on mine), and she'll be much happier with her car.

-Chris

yurtesen

TDI
Golf Variant
In MK5 CCM it is possible to disable safe lock (deadlock) feature of the locks. Is it possible with MK4 CCM?

Matt-98AHU

TDI
Matt:
Here's some data / notes that I have.
04361-04363, bit 3 is 'windows via remote' (AKA "long known bit")
04361-04363, bit 1: Tailgate via remote (1=no, 0=yes)
also
04367-04369, bit 1: Also tailgate via remote (1=no, 0=yes)
(NOTE: changing BOTH bits was necessary to get the gate to release via remote, or via door switch.)

04352-04354, bit 7: Tailgate unlocked w/ rear doors (0=no, 1=yes)
bit 2: auto unlock at Kl0 (key off) (1=yes, 0=no)
bit 6: lock after driving off (1=yes, 0=no)
Also
04370-04372, bit 1 seems to have an effect here. (0=yes, 1=no.)
I've seen several CCMs where this bit was set to 0, but 04352-04354/7 was 0; gate was NOT enabled w/ rear doors unlocked.
My '02 had 04352-04354/7 at 0, and 04370-04372/1 at 1 originally; BOTH bits needed to be changed to get the gate to 'unlocked w/ rear doors unlocked.'
Is this specifically on a Golf? With the wagons I get the tailgate operation with all doors unlocked changing bit 0 (first bit all the way right?) to a 1 in addresses 04361-3. So, for example, if I have a wagon with decimal value 202, I could change it to 203 and get rear hatch to work with all doors unlocked signal.

Or, where I normally change 04361-3 to 194 from 202 on wagons to enable remote windows, I change it to 195 to have remote windows and hatch on central locking.

Golfs I do it via addresses 04352-4 for hatch on central locking, but the problem I have is with the crank window CLM in Golfs (address 35 instead of 46), I can only read addresses, not write to them, with VDS Pro.

Maybe they require a different login code to allow writing. I don't know. 19283 accepts, but no changes can be made. I've definitely had a couple requests to change the hatch lock function on a couple crank window Golfs and haven't been able to come through.

cuppie

Veteran Member
TDI
02 B5.5 Passat 1.8t
Matt,
That was for a B5.5 Passat wagon. I haven't had access to a MkIV Golf to compare against.

Maybe the CLM just can't be altered. ((shrugs))

yurtesen

TDI
Golf Variant

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
For those coming late to the party here, looking for Golf hatch unlock, here's my (non-computer geek) understanding of what needs to happen (or at least, what worked for me on my 2003 Golf (Canadian).

Addresses (bytes) 04352, 04353, 04354: Take whatever the current coding is and change bit0 to "0". Keep in mind that bit0 is the first bit, in reading L-->R, reading RIGHT TO LEFT.
So, in my new (to me) 2003 Golf, I had 136 as the current coding in those three addresses. That had no correlation to anything else I'd seen posted by anyone. I tried "subtracting 2" and a couple other things, but that didn't do anything.

However (as mentioned above, having picked that up from buried somewhere in this thread and in the chart I posted above)...
136 (decimal) = 10001000 (binary)
Changing bit0 bit7 (highlighted) from a "1" to a "0" gives me 00001000.
00001000 (binary) = 8 (decimal)

So, I changed those three addresses from 136 to 8 and shazam - if doors are locked, hatch is locked. As soon as I unlock the car doors, the hatch unlocks and stays unlocked until I hit the LOCK button on the remote.

Win! :D

Last edited:

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
Now (since the Jetta replaced the Golf) I need to change the trunk handle to a switch (like Euro model) and see if it works on Jettas as well.

Jason

Matt-98AHU

TDI
Now (since the Jetta replaced the Golf) I need to change the trunk handle to a switch (like Euro model) and see if it works on Jettas as well.

Jason
I'm sure it will. Same exact setup our wagons get, effectively. Wire it up like the wagon with the switch and flip the right bit and voila.

Matt-98AHU

TDI
I thought they had different part # CCM? Or maybe it was production date that got different CCM? 1J0 vs 1C0
Jason
Mid 2002 and up, every single Mk4 and B5.5 CCM is 1C0 959 799 C, even though each body style has different programming for their different trunk logic operation.

You have to order by "color code." And more often than not, the sticker that would have contained the color code so you could match up a used module to the correct bodystyle is long gone. So you'll see a lot of 1C0 959 799 C modules for sale but if they don't tell you exactly what it came out of, it's a crap shoot as to which one you're going to get. You might get one for a Golf... or a sedan... or a wagon. Who knows!

The 1J0 is the early style, mid 2002 and back. Different comfort CAN bus speed and a couple less messages being sent on that data bus (off the top of my head, at least the backlight signal is on the data bus where previously it was wired independently). Trying to use a 1J0 or 1J1 module in a 1C0 system creates all kinds of havoc and often times crashes the communication on the bus and can cause a parasitic draw.

So yeah, 2002 and up, if you know which bits to flip, you could in theory use any 1C0 959 799 C on any bodystyle of the era if you do it right. Same part number, just a couple bits are flipped depending on what bodystyle and trunk logic it uses.

Matt-98AHU

TDI
Just to add some context, I'm looking up part numbers right now.

Jetta wagon CCM:

1C0 959 799 C 08A

The 08A being the "color code" that differentiates which software it comes with, primarily having to do with the trunk/hatch logic.

Sedan CCM:

1C0 959 799 C 01H

See the pattern. Same part number, just different color code.

Golf:

4 door could be 08C or 01Q

2 door could be 01J, 0C7 or 08B

Passat sedan:

009 (with electric folding mirrors, which also means memory position for mirrors) or 008.

Passat wagon:

081 (with electric folding and memory mirrors) or 080

All still the same 1C0 959 799 C and usually without any external indication as to what the "color code" actually is. Though at least the Passat ones do have a different case to them that has these extra edges to it where it clips into the goofy enclosure that's under the passenger side carpet.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
Lots of reading, but this is pretty fun. I'm programming with my ThinkPad 755C (486DX4-75 with a NiMH battery I rebuilt).

Already got hatch unlocking working on the Golf, so I'm going to try the Jetta wagon next.

I'm presuming there's no options for the Bora/Jetta sedan, since there is no microswitch for the hood?

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Given that you wouldn't want to release the sedan trunk, and to have it stay unlocked whenever the doors are unlocked....no.

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
Lots of reading, but this is pretty fun. I'm programming with my ThinkPad 755C (486DX4-75 with a NiMH battery I rebuilt).

Already got hatch unlocking working on the Golf, so I'm going to try the Jetta wagon next.

I'm presuming there's no options for the Bora/Jetta sedan, since there is no microswitch for the hood?
My understanding is the Bora does have the micro switch handle. Also the handle appears similar to last gen Tigaun and some newer sedans so you can even get it with a camera.

If I ever get a few extra $$ I will mess around with it.

Jason

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
So on my 2003 sedan, I don't feel any kind of microswitch. It feels just like a solid plastic handle underneath. And for my purposes, it would fantastic to have the trunk always be able to stay open (it's a 100% off-road ranch vehicle for the time being). Whenever I go the Ute conversion route, then it'll be registered as a farm truck (of which this mod will be negated).

For what it's worth, going through this thread, I used the values 203 on my mom's 2005 Jetta Wagon for trunk unlocking when the doors are unlocked. On my 2004 Golf, 88 worked, but I had to change auto-lock in VCDS to 0 (disable). I haven't had a chance to go back into VDS-Pro and see what the value changed to.

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
Sorry to not be clear. Jetta (NAR cars) are just a grab handle, no mechanical nor electric switch. However I was under the impression that Bora (EU cars) did in fact have an electric switch in that handle.

Jason

DG3AZ

TDI
Octavia 1u5 00
Hello,

I try to change my old CCM (1J0959799AH to 1С0959799B) on my Octavia 1U5 (Variant) to get my new instrument cluster with CAN comfort bus working. Swapped the CCM, all door modules, all seems working fine, except the boot lid*.
If I connect the T23/10, the lid is always reported as open, If i disconnect the wire, It's closed. But I measure the switch, open and closed works fine. Strange! Closing or opening with the key, doesn't affect the lid, the same with the key on the lid, no reaction on other doors.
I'm not sure where the problem is, my CCM is from a Skoda Superb (0Z), I think a sedan. I try to change 4361,62,63 to 67, but that doesn't change something.

Has anybody a complete dump from a Variant? I think I need 01A?

* Kofferraumklappe", the last big door at the end :), I'm not sure if "boot lid" is correct translated

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
Google translate (and some formatting changes by me) to the rescue. :D

Excel version if you want it here.
I wish we knew what all the values meant, but this helped me. Apparently, for whatever reason, my 2004 Golf was set to 24, meaning that only bits 3 and 4 were on. I'm guessing Bit 4 implies to turn on the rear wiper when the hatch is unlocked (presumably if it's snowing outside?). It was annoying, so changing just to 8 (which is Bit 3 only), and I have my desired operation.

gmenounos

Vendor
TDI
'99.5 Golf GLS, '01 Jetta GLX Wagon (TDI conversion)
I have a 2001 Jetta Wagon (former VR6, now ALH) and have not been able to find the auto-window values anywhere, I think because ALH wagons were not available in the US until 2002 and those all got the 1C0 CCM but mine is a 1J0. Today I got it working by "interpolating" the 1J0 Golf and 1C0 wagon info from this thread, so here you go:

2001 Jetta Wagon
CCM: 1J0 959 799 AJ (8X)
AddressOld ValueNew ValueNote
08628242246Front Left
12724250254Front Right
16820242246Rear Left
20916250254Rear Right

And I was able to do it using a modern laptop running Windows 10, a $17 generic cable and this software: https://forums.tdiclub.com/index.php?threads/free-vds-pro-vagtacho-alternative.509151/