Adding Auto Headlights?

maloosheck

Veteran Member
TDI
2K6 1K2 BRM, 2K8 7L6 BWF, 85 16 MF
Possible but not relatively easy. You need rain light sensor and the switch with auto option.

ZiggyTheHamster

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 VW Jetta TDI
This car is an 05.5 with the rain/light sensor, but it doesn't have a headlight switch with the auto setting. Is that all I would need?
I believe that's all you'll need as far as hardware. If you install an auto switch without the required hardware, it will still work, but auto will result in it always being on if the switch is on and the car is running. Since you can get an auto switch for cheap, I would try that and see if you get the desired result. Note that you might have to recode with VCDS to turn on coming home/leaving home or to tell the electronics you have a rain sensor.

On mine, I lack a rain sensor and an auto switch, but I turned on coming home/leaving home, which results in the lights coming on when I unlock the car for 60 seconds (regardless of switch position). The coming home function where the lights would stay on for 60 seconds does not work because I don't have an auto switch. If I leave the lights in "on", then coming home works, but the interior illumination stays on and the city lights stay on after the headlights turn off. Obviously, this drains the battery and is not desirable. If I had an auto switch, then both functions would work 100%, but then auto would be always on when car is on because I don't have a rain sensor.