Adding auto headlights to 2011 Jetta

CDN TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 TDI Jetta 6MT, 1991 Turbo Diesel Jetta 5MT
Unfortunately, it won't work in your 2011 Jetta TDI. It's for GLI, JSW, Golf, and any other BCM PQ35 based vehicle.

blu_jet_92

Veteran Member
TDI
all of them
That connector in the picture is the same as the connector on the kit from bold sport....? Is the picture wrong? The connector I have on my 11 looks like it's the same as my mk4 connector.

BTL

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 PGM Jetta TDI Premium DSG
The harness that goes into your current switch goes into the box pictured. The cable then runs to a new switch they provide, hence the difference in connectors. In short, it WILL work on your 11

mklabunde

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SEL Premium
Just found this thread and ordered it been wanting to have auto headlights. Had them on my previous car and you kind of get spoiled. I have no idea why VW didn't have that on the car from the factory. Most new cars have that stock oh well now I can have it again. :)

blu_jet_92

Veteran Member
TDI
all of them
I haven't ordered mine yet. let me know how yours works!!

Just found this thread and ordered it been wanting to have auto headlights. Had them on my previous car and you kind of get spoiled. I have no idea why VW didn't have that on the car from the factory. Most new cars have that stock oh well now I can have it again. :)

Underwhere

TDI
MK6 Jetta DSG
Will this prevent you from leaving the headlights on when you park and shut off your car?

Can't believe a car built in 2011 will run itself dead.

mklabunde

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SEL Premium
Will this prevent you from leaving the headlights on when you park and shut off your car?

Can't believe a car built in 2011 will run itself dead.
I think that is why the switch has a auto position. Only runs when the key is on. If you want the parking lights on you move it to the parking position. Just my guess as I haven't gotten it yet. Should be here on Wednesday but I am currently in New York until Thursday when I will install it and let everybody know how it works.

Mark

mklabunde

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SEL Premium
yes that is what auto means
That's what I thought. Would be dumb if you have to turn the switch to off each time you turned off your car, what would be the purpose of having auto headlights :) if you can't leave it in the auto position so you can have auto headlights. :confused:

mklabunde

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SEL Premium
Well I installed the auto head light module and it works great and was it easy to install. Took longer to get the eye wire run up to the dash and to install the unit. I like installs where you don't have to mess with a bunch of tools to install it. :)

pdt165

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta 6 speed (Bought Back)
Well I installed the auto head light module and it works great and was it easy to install. Took longer to get the eye wire run up to the dash and to install the unit. I like installs where you don't have to mess with a bunch of tools to install it. :)

Does the auto mode only leave on the headlights or does it also alow for auto use of fogs.

mklabunde

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SEL Premium
Does the auto mode only leave on the headlights or does it also alow for auto use of fogs.
nope only works the headlights. it's part of the switch you can't pull the switch out when it's in auto and you have to move the switch to full headlights other wise it turns off the headlights and only has the parking lights on with the fogs if you are in parking lamp mode. That's the only thing that sucks about it. I wonder if there is a way to make it so you can pull the switch out with it in auto :)

blu_jet_92

Veteran Member
TDI
all of them
mine also came in today, but my wife just got admited to the hospital, so i wont be working on my car the next few days. if you do find documentation, please pass it on!!!

Also, if anyone wants the kit i bought from bold-sport, it's for sale. they don't take returns on electrical products... ugh.

blu_jet_92

Veteran Member
TDI
all of them
hey no worries! your story almost has me thinking about shipping the one i just bought back. I will probably play with it tomorrow and see what I can figure out.

Sorry it didn't go well for you!

mklabunde

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SEL Premium
Sorry to jack your thread blue_jet_92. Just wanted to note that I ripped it out and shipped it back today. I have high standards, and I was not impressed. This morning the lights were switching back and forth... but the last straw for me was when it did it at a stop light. I don't need headlights switch to DRL, and back to headlights to cars in the opposite direction. It made me feel uncomfortable. I'll take my chances with a dead battery.

I also sent and email to ross tech to see if it is possible to disable the marker and city lights in VCDS when the key is off. If so, i'll buy a cable and fix it up. I may check with the dealer to if I need to. There has to be a better way.

blue_jet_92 - hope your wife is doing well. :) Let me know how the auto headlights work out for you.
Mine are working fine I also found out that when the switch is in the auto mode it turns on the headlight and fogs at the same time. I guess if you don't want the fogs on you have to turn the switch to manual headlight mode. I have not had any issue with the lights toggling on and off. I didn't even get a manual and yeah I saw those jumpers and would like know what they are for. Strange programing I would think you would program them at dusk when you want them to turn on and off not mid day. But mine seem to work fine. Sorry you had issues.

Mark

blu_jet_92

Veteran Member
TDI
all of them
I installed mine middle of this past week and decided to use them for a bit before posting back.... I dont like how dark it has to be for them to kick on, and i also find it weird how it keeps the DRL's on for 5 seconds after turning off the key... its not coming home, cause that's "preprogramed for 30 seconds." idk... after using them, i kinda like them, but i'd gotten so used to manual headlights with my MKIV that I'm debating wether or not i really do want to keep this system. if i were designing it myself, i would have done a bunch of things different...

senez

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Passat DSG
Bump.

Considering purchasing something along these lines, but the comments are scaring me off. Other than USP, is there another US-based seller? eBay is a less expensive option, but shipping times from China are off the charts.

The only reason I'm even considering is that my manual switch broke. I heard a pop when I turned the lights on yesterday and now the dial will rotate all the way around the switch. I can keep the lights on and turn them off, but it's annoying.

Having auto lights would be nice, but is there anyone that says theirs is working well for them?

senez

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Passat DSG
Nooobody? :)

Ahh well. USP is absurdly expensive, so I'll just order from China, I suppose, if no one has other US-based alternatives.

senez

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Passat DSG
Ordered one from ebay tonight, so I'll have an update in a month or so.

Sort of disappointing that USP offers the same unit for more than double what you can get elsewhere. It literally is the exact some module. They just package it with zip ties.

senez

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Passat DSG
Unit came in the mail yesterday. Install was a breeze and the unit works great. Looks like it's the exact same unit that USP packages and re-sells for $100 more.

I'd have no issues ordering from China again in this instance.

kjake

Veteran Member
TDI
Gone!
Unit came in the mail yesterday. Install was a breeze and the unit works great. Looks like it's the exact same unit that USP packages and re-sells for $100 more.

I'd have no issues ordering from China again in this instance.
Link?