Adding Apple CarPlay

fatbobfenner

TDI
2015 Golf SportWagen SE TDI
Does anyone know if you can update the 2015 GSW with Apple CarPlay? Either a simple software update to the existing head unit or maybe a easy swap of the head unit?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

badufay

Veteran Member
TDI
2017 GTI S, 6 spd man; 2017 Jetta SE TSI, 5 spd man
Perhaps now is the time to ask VW again given their current situation. I'd be 100% happy with an emissions fix and a CarPlay upgrade for my 15' TDI Golf

Ben

pillboxhat

TDI
15' Golf (Formerly owned 240D, 00 Beetle, 06 Jetta
"I've written VW and response was that there are plans for any upgrade."

Wait. Are you saying that VW told you there ARE plans to upgrade?
Or did the post have a typo?

Zut Alors!

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen
Same here. The current interface is OK... but I'd love to have CarPlay in my car to have access to apps on my head unit. Wonder what the cost would be for an upgrade?

Rjs0623

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen
Sorry, it was a typo. I missed the word "no". Below is a copy of the response from VW Customer Care.

I can understand your interest in giving your ride a boost to its entertainments system. I researched the information available to me; and I regret to say that, at this time, there are no plans to provide a retrofit to 2015 model vehicles for the App Connect feature and MIB II units being installed into 2016 models. I apologize, as I want you to be able to get the most out of your new VW.

wrc777

TDI
2014 Jetta TSI
I bet you can install the MIB II head unit in a 2015 and run a line for the USB and everything will work.

avvblanc01

TDI
2015 TDI sportwagen
seems to me like it would be something that could be retrofit onto the 15's with relative ease. Who knows though, it may be more difficult than just a simple hardware change since apple is very particular about their software/licensing.

Random_Vibration

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SEL TDI (6MT, LP, Driver Assist)
There is and always will be no incentive for an automaker to offer a hardware head unit upgrade. They offer new features to sell new cars. They would rather existing customers to take up that themselves or go to the parts counter and get the relevant parts themselves.

In due time someone will do this themselves and post the results. If you go to the parts counter, they can get you a listing of components different between 2015 and 2016 cars. Find someone with a 2016 with Fender or non Fender configuration to match your car and get thier BCM part number and coding. This will help determine feasibility.

Last edited:

badufay

Veteran Member
TDI
2017 GTI S, 6 spd man; 2017 Jetta SE TSI, 5 spd man
There is and always will be no incentive for an automaker to offer a hardware head unit upgrade. They offer new features to sell new cars. They would rather existing customers to take up that themselves or go to the parts counter and get the relevant parts themselves.

In due time someone will do this themselves and post the results. If you go to the parts counter, they can get you a listing of components different between 2015 and 2016 cars. Find someone with a 2016 with Fender or non Fender configuration to match your car and get thier BCM part number and coding. This will help determine feasibility.
Agree, but given the fact VW is now fighting one of their biggest PR fights of all time, what better way for them to easily win back the trust of loyal customers!

Ben

Cutandthrust

TDI
'15 GSW, SE, DSG
Agree, but given the fact VW is now fighting one of their biggest PR fights of all time, what better way for them to easily win back the trust of loyal customers!

Ben
Exactly, I'm less than a month into ownership of my '15 GSW TDI, I love the car, but the new to me car experience has been "tainted" in the wake of the TDI scandal. I could easily forget about the whole thing, with a free upgrade to Apple Carplay. Just saying, it would be an easy way to win back the warm and fuzzy feeling all of us '14 & '15 TDI owners lost as soon as the news broke.

Random_Vibration

Veteran Member
TDI
Ben
I don't see how that changes things in any material way. In fact with all the cost they are about to incur, they will be quite busy fixing cars, paying fines, and handling civil lawsuits from 'loyal customers'.

A path to getting that upgraded radio exists if you take initiative to follow it. You can lament not having a upgrade path or creative your own.

Random_Vibration

Veteran Member
TDI
Exactly, I'm less than a month into ownership of my '15 GSW TDI, I love the car, but the new to me car experience has been "tainted" in the wake of the TDI scandal. I could easily forget about the whole thing, with a free upgrade to Apple Carplay. Just saying, it would be an easy way to win back the warm and fuzzy feeling all of us '14 & '15 TDI owners lost as soon as the news broke.
VW isn't looking at it that way apparently. Maybe they will but I doubt it seriously. Just do it yourself.

Caseyb476

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SE 6spd man
Is this available on the 2016s? If I am reading correctly, they will have Android Auto and Mirrorlink, not Apple Carplay.

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
I bet you can install the MIB II head unit in a 2015 and run a line for the USB and everything will work.
I'm afraid it's not that simple. There's a thread about it on Vortex. It can be done, but huge job and lots of $. The head unit is apparently coded to the specific VIN, and if memory serves, the 2015 ECM cannot accommodate MIB II.

Edit: I guess it's possible without ECM change, but some effort. Here's a how-to thread here:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?7466330-Golf-7-2013-discover-pro-retrofit-with-CARPLAY!

Last edited:

J.R.

Veteran Member
TDI
2017 Sportwagon TDI?
I'm afraid it's not that simple. There's a thread about it on Vortex. It can be done, but huge job and lots of $. The head unit is apparently coded to the specific VIN, and if memory serves, the 2015 ECM cannot accommodate MIB II.

Edit: I guess it's possible without ECM change, but some effort. Here's a how-to thread here:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?7466330-Golf-7-2013-discover-pro-retrofit-with-CARPLAY!
Just found that while researching :D

Sounds like it would be easier and cheaper to just install an aftermarket unit...

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
With what looks to be quite a shallow space behind the factory head unit (it's basically just a flat display screen - the "brains" of the unit itself are in the glove compartment from what I can tell), I'm not sure if there are any CarPlay-compatible aftermarket head units that would fit.

If someone knows of one...please - do tell!