Addicted to Torque: Top 10 Diesels We Want in the U.S. Now

listerone

Veteran Member
TDI
2018 BMW 540d
There are two diesels that I'd particularly like to see in North America.One is the Mercedes E 300 diesel hybrid that they displayed at last January's Detroit Auto Show.It's rated at 4.2 litres/100km (about 55mpg) and the two motors put out a combined 550 ft lbs of torque.The other is the BMW M500d which,from what I've read,is an absolute beast.

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Jetta (sold), 2010 JSW (sold), 2013 Passat 6MT traded for 2014 JSW with 6MT-TOTALED in November 2016, 2003 ALH 5MT conversion (sold), wheezing 2015 GSW/DSG and a new 2021 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 p'up
left out !

Note the glaring absence of Nissan Navarra, Toyota HiLux, or VW Amarok pickups.

Also, where's the Polo? Polo 1.6L TDI is a sweet little fuel sipper. I'd be driving one if it was here in the USA.

Last edited:

Honeydew

Top Post Dawg
TDI
13 Passat DSG
This past week I was in France- land of the manual transmission diesel apparently.

There were many sweet diesels there but here are two I photographed which I especially think should be available in the US and in my driveway:

Audi A5 2.0 TDI 6M, also saw ones with 2.7 TDI

VW California TDI manual trans:

Last edited:

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
Basically, the A5 Sportback is an A4 hatchback with an A5 nose.

(The normal A5 is a short wheelbase A4, so...)

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Jetta (sold), 2010 JSW (sold), 2013 Passat 6MT traded for 2014 JSW with 6MT-TOTALED in November 2016, 2003 ALH 5MT conversion (sold), wheezing 2015 GSW/DSG and a new 2021 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 p'up
Audi A5 2.0 TDI 6M, also saw ones with 2.7 TDI
That's a striking contrast to the concept of a Polo.

6sp? Very, very nice.

White Crow

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 gls tdi
I'm still waiting for a Tacoma diesel along with 60% of with the rest of the Tacoma owners.

blaz

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat
Wow, very nice. Thanks.
I'm still waiting for a Tacoma diesel along with 60% of with the rest of the Tacoma owners.]
I gave up and traded in the old Tacoma last year for the Ecoboost F150. We couldn't wait forever. But maybe in a year or two something will come along. Diesels certainly seem to be popping up with increasing frequency these days.

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
Buying something that you really don't want just reinforces the marketing focus.

I understand, but money talks. Walking out of the showroom makes a more powerful statement. We may be in the minority, so perhaps it is a lost cause.

blaz

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat
Buying something that you really don't want just reinforces the marketing focus.
I understand, but money talks. Walking out of the showroom makes a more powerful statement. We may be in the minority, so perhaps it is a lost cause.
Oh I'm happy with what I've got. And frankly, I'm convinced that any unilateral sacrifice on my part has ZERO impact on world affairs.

Politics and $$ rule, and I'm neither rich nor a politician (I do vote though).

You want more diesels? Persuade the politicians to raise the taxes on fuel so prices are similar to the Europeans. Good luck with that ...

waspie

Veteran Member
TDI
05.5 pkg2!
This past week I was in France- land of the manual transmission diesel apparently.

There were many sweet diesels there but here are two I photographed which I especially think should be available in the US and in my driveway:
my honeymoon in paris in dec 2011 jan 2012 is what pushed me to get my first TDI in feb '11
the cars over there are awesome!

ro.sniper

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
I go to Europe each year to visit family there so I get to drive most of their cars :) ... mostly renault, peugeot and skoda. All diesel :)

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Nice article, but they left out so many others. The Amarok/Tacoma/Navarro/Ranger/etc. with a diesel to name a few. :rolleyes:

TiggyTDI

TDI
TDI

I did this....I had our TDI in for an update a few months back and was test driving Tigs while they did it. Of course they drug me into the office with my daughter and kept comin down on the price. My daughter got a good laugh out of the whole car buying experience. In the end, I told them to tell VWOA that until they have a TIG in a TDI....I will wait. ----Mike

mrvermin

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
I did this....I had our TDI in for an update a few months back and was test driving Tigs while they did it. Of course they drug me into the office with my daughter and kept comin down on the price. My daughter got a good laugh out of the whole car buying experience. In the end, I told them to tell VWOA that until they have a TIG in a TDI....I will wait. ----Mike
Apparently, 16 to 18 months until the Tiguan TDI (in Canada anyway:rolleyes:)

***I HOPE***

If rumour is true

MrVermin

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
I'm still waiting for a Tacoma diesel along with 60% of with the rest of the Tacoma owners.
I am wiating to become a tacoma owner until they offer a diesel. Actually, whichever small truck is frist to market a diesel will get my money. I guess that leaves me the potential options of Chevy/GM, Nissan, or Toyota since everone else has bowed out of that market and VW keeps saying we will never get the Amarok in the US.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Apparently, 16 to 18 months until the Tiguan TDI (in Canada anyway:rolleyes:)

***I HOPE***

If rumour is true

MrVermin
Is this intended to be yet another Canada only diesel! :mad: What a bunch of horse doodies.

mrvermin

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
Is this intended to be yet another Canada only diesel! :mad: What a bunch of horse doodies.
I hope that it will be available in both Canada and the US, but we in Canada appreciate Diesels more for some reason :cool:

The Diesel versions of all available models from both Mercedes and VW outsell their Gas counterparts up here by a wide margin.

MrVermin

cattlerepairman

Veteran Member
TDI
none
The Diesel versions of all available models from both Mercedes and VW outsell their Gas counterparts up here by a wide margin.

MrVermin
... or at least they WOULD if sufficient numbers WERE available. Still, one sees tons of the gasoline powered lesser brethren of Mercedes, BMW and VW around.

VWBeamer

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
Is not it ironic the the VW California is not sold in California...

Last edited:

DasTeknoViking

Veteran Member
TDI
B4 TDi, A4 R32
currently i drive a 436k mile B4 TDi. I am itching to buy something new, but I really want a Passat wagon or a Tiguan TDi. Till that comes I will drive my B4. At this rate it will be at 500K before I pull the trigger

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
currently i drive a 436k mile B4 TDi. I am itching to buy something new, but I really want a Passat wagon or a Tiguan TDi. Till that comes I will drive my B4. At this rate it will be at 500K before I pull the trigger
Passat sedan is BIG compared to older Passats. You might look into it. I have. I am getting tired of DSG too. Maybe I'll get a big TDI SE with 6MT. Hard to pass up at 26k USD. That's what I paid for the JSW, and it is still worth just a few thousand less. They cost about $1500 more now. When I say big... Chat Passat is big like Chevy Impala.

Last edited: