Add blue system

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
In a add blue system, where is it injected at?
The DEF in injected right before the SCR catalyst (Catalytic converter). The exact location could vary with different vehicles, but it will always be after the DPF.

Have Fun!

Don

peobryant

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
If you have a '10 TDI your car won't have a DEF system, that wasn't added until 2011 if I recall correctly.

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
If you have a '10 TDI your car won't have a DEF system, that wasn't added until 2011 if I recall correctly.
2015 Jetta was the first year for add blue system.

mctdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta
Thanks for the replies.

So if part of VW's fix for the 2010s is to add an add blue system I would think that they likely will go to a new cat rather than reworking at the dealership to add a fitting.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
And as an added detail, in the 2015 EA288 family of engines, the DEF is injected before the DPF, which includes catalysts to convert trapped soot, as well as enable the conversion of the DEF with the NOX (ignoring some chemistry in the middle)

earlier engines which did include the DEF injected after the DPF. (these are Passat and other models, not Jetta/Golf)

it is likely that if the 2009 to 2014 models which did not have DEF are converted, they would replace the NOX cat, which means for 2009, the DOC/DPF as well.

The chemistry for NOX cat changes with the use of DEF, so the cat has to change.

TDIMeister put a nice presentation together which includes descriptions of the chemistry.

http://pics.tdiclub.com/data/4156/T...entation_Diesel_Exhaust_Fluid_DEF_and_SCR.pdf

page 19 has a nice figure which shows the DEF injector (label in german) identified at the top right. the figure matches the 2015 pretty close.

Last edited: