Add Blue, more please 2010 Touareg TDI

vfrav8r

TDI
2006.5 TDI Special Edition Jetta (A+), 2010 JSW TDI (short lived), 2010 Touareg TDI(C -hard on tires), 2014 Jetta TDI- TDI (little de-cultured)
My Touareg likes Add Blue so much, I can't make it past 4000 miles with out the continous light coming on,and every few minutes the picture repeadily going across the MFI of 'Add Blue' pouring into the tank. I only have 10,000 highway miles on the rig, it's been filled twice, and I get filled again this Friday.

This is what I learned about this process. There is no gauge, it takes 17 quarts under the spare tire. If the dealer only has one (big) jug, they add it. However, it may need three jugs, and it requires a special device to add it. If the dealer breaks into half a jug, they can't save it. So what occurs is service centers like to not top off the tank! Well this is how I figure it. Now, at service time, I demand that the tank be topped off.

Hey VW, how about a gauge so I can verify this clear fluid is properly serviced? VW dealers don't like to over stock parts, and even carring this new fluid required- short stocked. I was told at the time of purchase, the Add Blue should last up to 10,000 miles, depending how you drive the SUV. Well my TDI Touareg lives on the highway and needs to visit the dealer every 5 weeks-way short of my expectations.

I even asked if I should carry a spare quart of Add Blue-it won't help with out special servicing hoses. Fuel efficiency is making me blue. Why do you have to baby sit the dealers? Every time there is a VW problem, first you schedule an appointment- a week out, arrive, then they tell you come back next week for parts. Every item needs multiple visits to the dealer. I just don't have the time to camp out at the dealer.

****Just had VW top the tank for the 3rd time in 10,000 miles. Some odd news. My two local dealers don't carry the servicing equipment (or one doesn't service the tank right..). In turn, they just top off the initial tank, and leave the main tank to let it slowly flow in. There is no gauge, the first tank is full- good right? Wrong. One dealer told me, they don't even sell Touareg TDI's and that is why they don't have the extra hoses that can completely fill the two tank system. *****

Last edited:

jbright

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta DSG
I just posted this on the Q7 forum:

Is Ad Blue the same thing as DEF? A local company just opened a station near Indy that caters to clean diesel vehicles where you can fill your DEF tanks:

http://www.countrymark.com/news_rel_...s_Story_ID=342

This fuel station is also unique in that it is the first fuel station between Indianapolis and Cincinnati to offer a public dispenser for Diesel Exhaust Fluid, also known as DEF.

All 2010 on-road diesel engines are required by the EPA to contain new technology that will significantly reduce diesel emissions. Many of the engine manufacturers have answered EPA’s call with Selective Catalytic Reduction technology that requires the use of DEF. New DEF dispensers are starting to pop up in Indiana, but so far are located only on major interstates.

“We saw this as an opportunity to provide diesel drivers along State Road 52 and State Road 9 with a convenient place to pull in and fill their DEF tanks,” said United Energy Vice President Denny Frey.

DEF technology reduces NOx emissions by 90 percent, hydrocarbons and carbon monoxide emissions by 50 to 90 percent, and particulate matter emissions by 30 to 50 percent.

The industry estimates that more than 75 percent of all diesel engines manufactured in 2010 and in the near future will use DEF technology.

According to United Energy CEO Wade Beatty, the Fountaintown CountryMark fuel site is open 24/7, accepts major credit cards and membership is not required for fuel purchase. The site is well lit with LED lighting, accessible from both State Road 52 and State Road 9, and offers pay-at-the-pump dispensers for gasoline, on and off-road diesel fuel, E85 and DEF. All diesel fuel at the site is a 2 percent biodiesel blend.

strokethistwo

TDI
2004 Jetta
I think there is something odd going on, as I have been able to go over 10k miles without a fill, and have seen other posts on the Touareg forum indicating the same. I realize from what I have read that there are factors that affect adblue usage, but this seems excessive in my non-expert opinion.

vfrav8r

TDI
2006.5 TDI Special Edition Jetta (A+), 2010 JSW TDI (short lived), 2010 Touareg TDI(C -hard on tires), 2014 Jetta TDI- TDI (little de-cultured)
Dear Colorado Touareg TDI Owner:
I'm slowly finding out, not all VW dealers are equal. The 'AutoBahn for All' is just a myth. My nearby VW dealers, don't service Add Blue properly, and or, don't carry the servicing hoses. So they fill the initial tank, and don't worry about the main tank. Then they send me on my way. What surprizes me, is there are no federal regulations on having a gauge on the tank to avoid having consumers bamboozled by service departments. I'm learning more than I wanted to know about clean diesel.
In regards,

Yeti35

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Touareg V6 TDI
There is only one place to fill the tank and it is under the spare tire under the floor in the rear. As far as I know there is no special tools needed to fill it either since the bottle fits in the opening and it is squeezed into the tank. Your dealer is full of crap!!

wensteph

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg sold to VW 2014 Audi Q5 re-programmed
It's not any harder than filling up the bottle for the windshield washer and there is no gauge for that either.:)
Excellent instructions with pictures over on chittychittybangbang's site linked to above. DEF is cheap and easy to put in. The 4 gallon tank should last 10,000 miles; top it off yourself so you know it's full and then add more depending on how much you drive.

TheDieselFamily

TDI
2005 Golf GLS, 2011 Touareg TDI
We have always gotten at least 10,000 mi / tank of Ad Blue in our '09 and '11 Touareg TDIs. It is so cheap and easy to fill, that it is hardly worth calculating into the running cost of the vehicle.

vfrav8r

TDI
Dear TDI Touareg Owners:
The Add Blue and VW dealerships in small town USA is challenging. First, scheduled maintenance is included with new 3.0 TDI's. What is not included, is having to visit the yellow dealerships multiple times for what was told, should last close to 10,000 miles. From my understanding to service both blue tanks, in a timely manor, requires hoses and a few jugs of clear urea. From my experience, my two local dealers don't stock the blue in sufficient quantities and the hoses are no where to be found. Which when you add this all up, blue, yellow, clear, leaves me green.

This special service, unexpected return visits, were not factored in when purchasing this expensive rig. My time is not valued, and finding a service appointment is not convienent. The add blue video on my dash board every 30 seconds and service light will drive you nuts. The standards of service are not properly aligned with VW dealerships in the USA. VW is very in tune with small and mid sized cars, with light trucks, they are not.

Happy New Year!

TheDieselFamily

TDI
2005 Golf GLS, 2011 Touareg TDI
The Touareg only has one tank of AdBlue, it is the Audi Q7 that has two tanks.

No special hoses are required, only a funnel. The tank is under the spare, and very easy to access.

Happy New Year!

Yeti35

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Touareg V6 TDI
Dear TDI Touareg Owners:
The Add Blue and VW dealerships in small town USA is challenging. First, scheduled maintenance is included with new 3.0 TDI's. What is not included, is having to visit the yellow dealerships multiple times for what was told, should last close to 10,000 miles. From my understanding to service both blue tanks, in a timely manor, requires hoses and a few jugs of clear urea. From my experience, my two local dealers don't stock the blue in sufficient quantities and the hoses are no where to be found. Which when you add this all up, blue, yellow, clear, leaves me green.

This special service, unexpected return visits, were not factored in when purchasing this expensive rig. My time is not valued, and finding a service appointment is not convienent. The add blue video on my dash board every 30 seconds and service light will drive you nuts. The standards of service are not properly aligned with VW dealerships in the USA. VW is very in tune with small and mid sized cars, with light trucks, they are not.

Happy New Year!
It sounds like your dealer is not filling the damn thing up when you take it in and as said before, there is only one tank. Where are you getting there there is two tanks? The fill opening on the tank as well as the tank it's self is under the spare tire. No special tools required at all. Your dealer needs to get a clue and learn how to service you vehical properly. I have only had mine topped off once since I had it and I drive mine almost daily. Your issue is not the vehical, but it is your incompetent dealer!