AdBlue Reductant Code P2048 & P208E Need Help

Brian K

TDI
`06 Jetta BRM `10 Jetta CJAA
My sisters '13 Passat SEL Premium with 78,466 miles has presented us with the dreaded 150 miles to no start warning. This is the first time the CEL has ever been on. I have found some excellent info on here already about how to remove the AdBlue tank but have not run across anything concerning these two codes or how they relate to each other.

I have VCDS and am pretty good at fixing things if I can get the information I need. I scanned the car after it had sat overnight. I understand how AdBlue works but this is the first time dealing with it. My understanding of these two codes (9616 - Reductant Injector Bank 1 - P2048 - Short to Ground) and (9647 - Reductant Injector Valve Bank 1 - P208E - Stuck Closed) seems to be that they would be near or at the point introduced to the exhaust system instead of the tank apparatus itself. Is this an accurate assumption? I did a search for these codes on here and nothing came up. Perhaps the search feature was inoperable when I searched.

How do I go about fixing this?

What will parts might I need?

Are there some links that show the process of fixing this?

Thanks in advance for the help. VCDS info below.

9616 - Reductant Injector Bank 1
P2048 00 [175] - Short to GND
MIL ON - Confirmed - Tested Since Memory Clear
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00000001
Fault Priority: 2
Fault Frequency: 7
Mileage: 126113 km
Date: 2016.09.22
Time: 20:30:31

Engine speed: 2465.00 /min
Normed load value: 57.6 %
Vehicle speed: 131 km/h (car was sitting in the driveway)
Coolant temperature: 100 °C
Intake air temperature: 42 °C
Ambient air pressure: 1000 mbar
Voltage terminal 30: 14.120 V
Unlearning counter according OBD: 40
Outside air temperature: 28.5 °C
Exhaust gas temperature sensor 4: 349.0 °C
Pressure sensor for reducing agent; measured pressure: 5012 hPa
Sensor for reducing agent fill level; fill level: 77.11 %
Sensor for reducing agent tank temperature; temperature: 39.2 °C
Calculated temperature at reduction agent injection valve: 63.6 °C
Heating circuit 1 for reducing agent metering; activation-Bit 0: 0
Heating circuit 1 for reducing agent metering; activation-Bit 8: 0

9647 - Reductant Injector Valve (Bank 1)
P208E 00 [175] - Stuck Closed
Freeze Frame:
Fault Frequency: 1
Mileage: 126139 km
Date: 2016.09.23
Time: 07:50:34

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
The AdBlue injector is located in the exhaust approximately in the middle of the vehicle - maybe slightly forward from the middle. If you get under there, it'll be obvious when you see it. Based on your codes, I would check the electrical connection to it to make sure it wasn't ripped off by road debris, and if that checks out, consider replacing the injector. You shouldn't have to do anything with the AdBlue tank in the rear of the vehicle.

Aleksandar F

TDI
VW Sharan
My sisters '13 Passat SEL Premium with 78,466 miles has presented us with the dreaded 150 miles to no start warning. This is the first time the CEL has ever been on. I have found some excellent info on here already about how to remove the AdBlue tank but have not run across anything concerning these two codes or how they relate to each other.

I have VCDS and am pretty good at fixing things if I can get the information I need. I scanned the car after it had sat overnight. I understand how AdBlue works but this is the first time dealing with it. My understanding of these two codes (9616 - Reductant Injector Bank 1 - P2048 - Short to Ground) and (9647 - Reductant Injector Valve Bank 1 - P208E - Stuck Closed) seems to be that they would be near or at the point introduced to the exhaust system instead of the tank apparatus itself. Is this an accurate assumption? I did a search for these codes on here and nothing came up. Perhaps the search feature was inoperable when I searched.

How do I go about fixing this?

What will parts might I need?

Are there some links that show the process of fixing this?

Thanks in advance for the help. VCDS info below.

9616 - Reductant Injector Bank 1
P2048 00 [175] - Short to GND
Freeze Frame:
Fault Frequency: 7
Mileage: 126113 km
Date: 2016.09.22
Time: 20:30:31

Engine speed: 2465.00 /min
Normed load value: 57.6 %
Vehicle speed: 131 km/h (car was sitting in the driveway)
Coolant temperature: 100 °C
Intake air temperature: 42 °C
Ambient air pressure: 1000 mbar
Voltage terminal 30: 14.120 V
Unlearning counter according OBD: 40
Outside air temperature: 28.5 °C
Exhaust gas temperature sensor 4: 349.0 °C
Pressure sensor for reducing agent; measured pressure: 5012 hPa
Sensor for reducing agent fill level; fill level: 77.11 %
Sensor for reducing agent tank temperature; temperature: 39.2 °C
Calculated temperature at reduction agent injection valve: 63.6 °C
Heating circuit 1 for reducing agent metering; activation-Bit 0: 0
Heating circuit 1 for reducing agent metering; activation-Bit 8: 0

9647 - Reductant Injector Valve (Bank 1)
P208E 00 [175] - Stuck Closed
Freeze Frame:
Fault Frequency: 1
Mileage: 126139 km
Date: 2016.09.23
Time: 07:50:34

Hi Brian, I have an identical problem. I wonder how you solved the problem? Best regards

Tom in PT

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat sedan - SOLD; 2013 Passat DSG; both purchased new
Aleksandar, what is the engine code for your VW Sharan? We do not have this model designation in the USA. The solution might be specific to the year and engine code. Also, this is an old post and in the US most of these cars were subject to emissions upgrades and software fixes to get the vehicle to comply with emission regulations, and owners were given an extended warranty to cover these systems. In Serbia if VW also extended its warranty you might investigate getting your issue fixed for free at a VW dealer.

Tom in PT

Veteran Member
TDI
In the US there also was a software update (notice mailed December 2018) that addressed an issue with the 200 mile countdown, but that probably only applies to vehicles that got the so-called "fix" for the emissions defect. Mine is an '13. Just thought I would throw that out.

watatrp

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta tdi (gone) 2013 Passat SEL TDI
I had some similar problems. Never got to the engine no start but within 20 miles. I stopped to refuel and the warning went off. Took it to the dealership. They had previously reprogrammed the adblue system and that didn't seem to help. They had it for over a week and ended up changing the rear nox sensor and the nox catalyst. I have not had it on a road trip since but no warnings yet with local driving. I understand that this problem pops up more when driving over 70 mph for extended periods of time. Mine would never show up until I had driven 75-100 miles at speeds over 70 mph.

Tom in PT

Veteran Member
TDI
The software update I mention in previous post involved the error condition coming on after high speed driving, 80+ mph over 15 miles IIRC. If our friend in Serbia is driving a lot on the autobahn or equivalent over there he just might benefit from a software update, suggest he contact a local dealer and see if one is available for his issue/car.

viperius

TDI
13 Passat SEL
I don't think this update fixes this error, I bought my car Feb 2020 it has stickers on for the "Fix" that was preformed on Dec 18th 2019

this error still pops up, I cant wait for the warranty to be done so I can tune and get rid of this garbage.