Adblue Light Came On, Tank Is 3/4 Full

robertgalka

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat Highline
The 1000 km warning light came on yesterday, but when I tried to add fluid it didn't take that much. It's been extremely cold here lately, almost -40, I wonder if this has anything to do with it? I brought the car inside my heated shop last night and I'll leave it there to thaw for a couple of days.

ZippyNH

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 JETTA TDI SE
Bet the DEF is Frozen....or a few short trips let the heating element melt the DEF around it....
My suggestion...try to top it off...
The heated garage should help lots... maybe even some extra heat in the tank.area (heating pad or space heater nearby, carefully of course)....or maybe a longer trip...just because if it's only a couple degrees above freezing, a big frozen block of anything can take a LONG time to melt.
Some models DO have a history of heating element failure in the DEF tank.

robertgalka

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat Highline
I wonder if it would throw a code if the DEF heater element quit? I'll leave it inside for a few days and see what happens. I wasn't doing any short trips, I think I had it running for about four hours on Saturday. It has been so cold lately that maybe the heating element couldn't keep up?

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
if the heater is busted, or a pump a code maybe stored and a CEL, but the dash will show the something like 1000 miles DTE.

Always worth doing a scan for codes.

Seeing the tank is in the rear lower quarter panel, its tough to keep warm outside of a garage.

robertgalka

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat Highline
I started it up today and drove to work. The light went out after a few miles. When it came on it did say 1000 km to empty or something like that. I’ll check for codes later this week.

If there is a problem with the DEF heater, I hope my warranty covers it.

AverageAndy

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2013 Golf TDI 6MT, 2013 Jetta TDI 6MT (R.I.P.)
There was a service campaign to replace the Adblue heater. I live in the desert and they still repaired mine. Check out this link:

Tom in PT

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat sedan - SOLD; 2013 Passat DSG; both purchased new
It should also be covered by the dieselgate extended warranty, if still in force due to time/mileage considerations.

buffa98

TDI
2013 SE DSG White/Cornsilk
I had almost the same thing happen to me. Twice the 200 mile to no restart code flashed up on the dash. The dealer found the first time the injector was only putting in 155ml instead of 158. Second time the ad blue tank had to be "burped" according to the dealer. I have 9,000 miles left on the diesel gate warranty, then I will be doing a stage 2 and complete exhaust/delete.