ADblue Between services

paxsman

TDI
Passat TDI SEL 2013
I am going on my second time that I have had to add more Adblue between services (generally at 9000-9500 miles after service). In the first 70k miles I never even received the warning to add more. Is this common or is the dealer just not filling me up. The dealer claims my driving habits play a role in how much Adblue is used. This is a great idea however I have been driving back and forth to work for the past three years and have right at 90k on the car...I think my habits are about the same. Just a note I do perform the service every 10k. Could this be a sign of something else going on? Thanks.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
It's not clear whether or not you're doing your own OC service, or you're taking the car to the dealer for the OC service and they're just not topping off the AdBlue, and then making excuses. Either way, what the dealer is saying sounds like an excuse.
Consuming an entire tank (>5 gal.) of AdBlue in less than 10K miles sounds like a lot to me.

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 Jetta GLS BEW, 14 Audi A7 V6 TDI, 13 Porsche Cayenne V6 TDI
You should be able to get about 20k between adblue fillups - sounds like they aren't filling it. Since DEF usage is tied to fuel consumption, you would have to be getting around 20MPGs to use that much DEF.

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
Mine too, Last july at the 40K I tried to add 2 gallons of def, and over filled it. Low Def light came on in October at 49K, added 2.5 gallons without a issue :confused:

Ares

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE
It is easy to tell if the dealer added any DEF, they usually spill it over everything and leave the cover off. ;)

I've never gotten a warning between OCIs. All dealer changes.

APT

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL
I think the engine software update from Jan 2015 increased the DEF consumption rate. I'm getting about 2400-2900 miles per gallon of DEF now.

Last edited:

jimbo1mcm

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 SEL TDI PREMIUM Blue 2015 SEL TDI PREMIUM's Silver and Blue
fyi: checked WalMart and the 2.5 gal Peak is $24.99 plus $6 shipping.
Tractor Supply " " $12.95

d2freeman

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
I have been using Wal-Mart brand Fed for 6 months now and no issues. 7.88 for 2.5 gal.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I think the engine software update from Jan 2015 increased the DEF consumption rate. I'm getting about 2400-2900 miles per gallon of DEF now.
I'm just about due for my 30k service. I did both the 10k and 20k services, filling the DEF only after the light came on at a bit over 21k with about 4.5 gallons. I will see how much it takes.

The reflash was done at 19k, right before I did the service. I'll have pre/post usage assuming it was full from the factory.

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I just filled my DEF tank. It took 3.25 gallons at less than 10k miles from the last fillup. I have been driving the car harder so my MPGs are a bit down, but that's a decent increase in DEF usage since the reflash. From 4.5 gallons in 21k to 3.25 in 9k.

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 2013 Passat SE 6Man
At 28K since last dealer fill, no warning yet. At this rate I hope to be able to hit my oil/fuel filter 60K service interval, I will refill DEF at that point regardless of warning. No 2N35.

DEF is super cheap at Wally world!

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
At 28K since last dealer fill, no warning yet. At this rate I hope to be able to hit my oil/fuel filter 60K service interval, I will refill DEF at that point regardless of warning. No 2N35.

DEF is super cheap at Wally world!
I agree that it's cheap so it's not a big deal, but the update did appear to increase the usage. Even if that usage goes up with the next 'fix' it's nothing major. I wanted to use up the gallon I bought 2 years ago and a friend gave me a cruise bottle to make filling easier.

The timing was perfect having the update done right around the first fillup (all done by me).

kyledooley

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
I agree that it's cheap so it's not a big deal, but the update did appear to increase the usage. Even if that usage goes up with the next 'fix' it's nothing major. I wanted to use up the gallon I bought 2 years ago and a friend gave me a cruise bottle to make filling easier.

The timing was perfect having the update done right around the first fillup (all done by me).
It's even cheaper at Farm and Barn if you have one of those.

It's not recommended that you use DEF that's more than a year old (if opened). If it's a sealed container 12 months is the minimum shelf life, as long as it stays below 90 degrees. Much above 90 and/or exposure to sunlight, and shelf life rolls off pretty fast.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
It's even cheaper at Farm and Barn if you have one of those.
It's not recommended that you use DEF that's more than a year old (if opened). If it's a sealed container 12 months is the minimum shelf life, as long as it stays below 90 degrees. Much above 90 and/or exposure to sunlight, and shelf life rolls off pretty fast.
Never heard of farm and barn - we have tractor supply? Haven't checked there. It was a sealed one gallon container kept in the garage so relatively moderate temps. I should have used it at the first fill-up.
$7.88 Walmart Supertech DEF 2.5 Gallons. That's the cheapest I've found by the bottle. I fill via a Kruse bottle.
That is a great price - I think I paid $11 at Advanced Auto.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Most of my NMS TDI customers can go the full 10k interval without needing to top up the DEF tank, although some do come in with the warning/countdown already on.

Luckily it is not THAT big of a deal to top it up. But any new software, especially one that tries to bring the CKRA engine into NOx compliance in the "real world" driving will almost certainly mean you'll need to top up the tank between services.

The 4 cyl Sprinters have a 15k service interval, and most of those cannot make it much past 4k miles or so before they need to be filled up. Which is weird, because the 6 cyl Sprinters, with a 10k mile service interval, usually can go 10k miles on a DEF fill.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Dealer did the 30K service (guessing they topped it off). I did the 40K and 50K service, bought one Kruase bottle and one 2.5gal Def jug and added them around 45K and VCDS did say 100% full, sitting at 58K now and no light on. Did have 2N35 this past fall.

I'll be looking for another jug for the next OCI.

kyledooley

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
Never heard of farm and barn - we have tractor supply? Haven't checked there. It was a sealed one gallon container kept in the garage so relatively moderate temps. I should have used it at the first fill-up.

That is a great price - I think I paid $11 at Advanced Auto.
Sorry. Farm and Barn = Farm and Fleet.

r_boyd

TDI
2012 vw passat tdise sunroof and nav
Quicktrip and other truck stops sell def by the gallon 2.68 gallon refill peak bottle

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Truck stop in Bow NH had it 2.79, which worked out pretty well filling the 2.5 gal jug for $7. The bulk tank was in a heated cube (tons of Detroit diesel branding all over it) with a special nozzle in a hidden door next to the diesel pump. I don't think they have many people just asking for 2.5 gallons of DEF, ha!

Tossed that and the remaining 1/2 gal this weekend, and it took it all. Guess I'm good for another 15K before spending another $7.

kydsid

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
Truck stop in Bow NH had it 2.79, which worked out pretty well filling the 2.5 gal jug for $7. The bulk tank was in a heated cube (tons of Detroit diesel branding all over it) with a special nozzle in a hidden door next to the diesel pump. I don't think they have many people just asking for 2.5 gallons of DEF, ha!

Tossed that and the remaining 1/2 gal this weekend, and it took it all. Guess I'm good for another 15K before spending another $7.

The one I go to requires pre-payment and there isnt a card reader. I get very weird looks telling them I need 15 gallons of def for the F150 in lane 3. :D