Active regens in consecutive trips

big_minnesota

TDI
‘14 Passat TDI SEL
I recently bought a ‘14 Passat with 35k miles, now at 41k. Love the car but still learning about its quirks.

I recently finished a 2-day, 1200 mile trip which was largely highway traveling so I’m sure there was plenty of passive regeneration. The first time I started the car after these long travel days was for a short trip and an active regen started. I let the car run until it was finished, maybe 10-15 minutes.

The next trip was also a short one and when I parked the car, I noticed another active regen. It wasn’t convenient to leave the car running in this instance so I just turned it off. The next trip showed no regens and the car ran normally.

Is this common? I typically see regens every 300-400 miles but maybe the road trip didn’t passively regen like I thought it would.

TDI Owner/Operator
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
When I had my 2014 Passat TDI regens were around 240 mile intervals when I did the 70 mile round trip commute to work. On a long road trip regens would happen between 300-400 miles.

The 2015 Passat TDI I have now (which is not the same TDI engine as the 2014) does regens every 230 miles like clockwork - does not matter if it's commuting to work or on a road trip. I will say if driving all day on a road trip I've seen it go long as 300 miles between regens but only if driving all day with almost no stops.

How do you know when your 2014 is doing a regen - monitoring a AutoPolar or ScanGauge or by feel/ear? I use AutoPolar in both the 2014 and 2015 so know for sure when regens started and ended. I can time it to avoid extra driving / idling so a regen can be completed - not a good idea to shut down a regen in progress if it can be helped. Hope this helps you out!

big_minnesota

TDI
‘14 Passat TDI SEL
I currently monitor by checking the RPMs when idling and listening for the fans going full-bore. The RPMs seem to hover at 900 during a regen and 800 when idling.

I’d like to buy a scan gauge 2 to more accurately monitor the regens while driving. Haven't really noticed any during highway driving but I’m sure they’ve happened.

I’ve got a scheduled service tomorrow so I’m gonna run it by the service guys, too.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Instead of guessing why not get something like VAGDPF or Torque so that you know when they are happening. If you already have an android phone a BT dongle and the app can be had for $20 or so. Knowing is always better than guessing.

big_minnesota

TDI
‘14 Passat TDI SEL
Looks like VAGDPF is only available on android phones. Is Torque the name of another app? I didn’t see it in the App Store for iPhones.