Acceleration Hesitation

tumper

TDI
2014 Passat SEL TDI
I have a question for the forum. I have a 2014 Passat SEL TDI and I love the car. However I am still getting used to it. There is a hesitation in the car and I am wondering if it is normal for the turbo diesel, or do I have a problem. Let me describe the situation.
I live in Dallas Texas and when returning to the office from lunch I have to make a left turn on a busy street with no traffic light. So when the traffic is clear (enough) often you have to dart between cars. I have noticed, in I think every case, when I punch the gas (or diesel might be more correct) there is about a one second delay before the car takes off. And that can seem like a lifetime if cars are headed towards you. Now after the one second delay it will burn rubber accelerating. But it does have a delay.
Now I know a little about the turbo charge system and I realize it takes some time to build pressure in the intake, but this shakes me a little. Do others have the same issue?

bobthefarmer

Veteran Member
TDI
2006.5 Jetta Mk 5 192K miles; 2012 Car of the Year, Passat Tdi SE+Nav in blue nightgown, shod in 18 inch heels
No normal to have the hesitation. I don't experience it on my 2012

pparks1

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
I think it's normal in the DSG. I have a slight hesitation as well, but it's something that I'm used to after having driven a manual for the past 12 years. It's no more time then would have passed from me letting out the clutch and getting the car going. In a nutshell, that is what's going on anywhere behind the curtain of the DSG.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
OP: try releasing the brake a second or two before you squeeze the go pedal. Also, it's well documented here and elsewhere that the TDI/DSG combination does NOT respond to rapid pedal mvmt. from a dead stop. Gradually "roll" into the throttle.
There are dozens of threads on this topic, dating back to 2009.

DaveTC

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
My car (with a DSG) does the same thing. It is just a matter of getting a feel for how feather in the throttle. I squealed my tires quite a bit when I first got the car. I can now anticipate the opening and get the car up to speed quickly now.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Tumper: YIKES! I just tried to do exactly what you're doing. THE THROTTLE DOES NOT RESPOND! There's a clear 1-2 second delay if I quickly move from full stop/brake on to throttle. If you want to move quickly, the DSG requires full release of the brake, one second or more, and then rolling into the throttle.

Driving the DSG has become so normal for me, in over 100k miles, that I had no idea how much of an adjustment I had made.

ChadS99SVT

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI DSG
Yep it's normal. You have to adjust how you hit the go pedal from a stop. I usually start rolling into it a few seconds early so in those situations I'm ready to "race" into the turn.

Roshermoore

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW DSG sunroof
At least since 2009!

There is a hesitation in the car and I am wondering if it is normal
You are describing how my 09 JSW with DSG has responded at the get go since I drove it home in February 2009 from Metro VW in Irving.

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
Sport mode solves a lot of it, or do what I do- release your foot brake but hold the car in place with the handbrake- its simply the computer releasing the clutch and holding engine power off until it knows the clutch is ready, as you may or may not know this cars transmission is a computer controlled manual. I also tried not completely stopping but then the car takes off in 2nd gear and rides the clutch up to about 15mph.

Last edited:

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
^^^another DSG quirk. It does NOT like rolling stops, unless you go to manual mode.

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
^^^another DSG quirk. It does NOT like rolling stops, unless you go to manual mode.
Yup, slid it over to manual and it engages 1st perfectly. Wife just lets it slip the clutch climbing up the parking garage. :mad:

skinnyb

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI
Yep both of mine do it (JSW and Passat) however my R32 is not nearly as bad (3.2 vr6, dsg and no turbo) which leads me to believe it is a combination of dsg quirk and turbo lag.

Justinw303

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE DSG w/ Sunroof
Yup, slid it over to manual and it engages 1st perfectly. Wife just lets it slip the clutch climbing up the parking garage. :mad:

Wait, how can I tell for sure that the clutch is slipping? I don't notice anything weird during rolling stops, but now I'm gonna pay a bit more attention.

dzcad90

Rolex & gin
TDI
Jetta - 97 (RIP), '03 (Sold), '09
I don't even think of it anymore - this is my second TDI with DSG, so it's just become nature for me to drive the DSG to account for this.

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
Wait, how can I tell for sure that the clutch is slipping? I don't notice anything weird during rolling stops, but now I'm gonna pay a bit more attention.
its tough, I didn't even notice it at first, then when I got the chance to put 2400 miles on ours this past 2 weeks and climbing a parking garage 2 times a day with all the windows down and sound echoing back into the cabin, if you perform a rolling stop then gently accelerate you will notice it stays in 2nd, and it does a great job holding the rpm about where a torque converter trans would, but then just before 15mph you will notice a slight grab and the tach will drop just a hair when it "lets the clutch fully out"
If I slide it over to manual, it engages 1st perfectly and will hold 1st rather than trying to climb the slight grade in 2nd- these are wet clutches that are cooled with trans oil so this isn't as bad as when my wife does the same thing in my civic :D

Last edited:

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
FYI, staying in 2nd is preferable to the programming in my 2009 DSG, which will downshift abruptly into 1st, with the revs shooting up to 2400+. It's like a novice driver downshifting into 1st and popping the clutch.

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
FYI, staying in 2nd is preferable to the programming in my 2009 DSG, which will downshift abruptly into 1st, with the revs shooting up to 2400+. It's like a novice driver downshifting into 1st and popping the clutch.
That would be tough to drive for sure! I just wish it would engage 1st at around 5-8mph, as it will hold second clear down to 2 mph even on steep grades

skinnyb

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI
That would be tough to drive for sure! I just wish it would engage 1st at around 5-8mph, as it will hold second clear down to 2 mph even on steep grades
X2. I hate that it waits so long to downshift. I have learned to shift to manual when I know I will be rolling on after almost stopping or climbing an incline of any kind at low speed. Second nature to me now I don't even think about it.