AC Stopped Working

rdean

TDI
Jetta, 2001, Bright Green, Jetta, 2002, Blue Lagoon (RIP)
02 Jetta, AC was blowing nice and cold in the morning. When I went out a few hours later NOTHING BUT HOT AIR!!! Fuses are good. Ambient temp switch is good. I have the Bently manual and it isn't much help. I also have a VAG COM but when I try to check the AC system it can't find the controller! Any suggestions?
PLEASE HELP IT'S gOING TO BE near 100 TODAY!
Thanks
Update: FCM is working- BOTH fans run. 11.5 volts to compressor- checked at connector.

Last edited:

Jimbo70

Veteran Member
TDI
None currently
Sounds like you are in the same boat as me with a bad compressor clutch. I've been researching this exhaustively since my A/C quit on me last month. Believe it or not, it is less expensive to purchase a new A/C compressor with the clutch on it than it is to purchase the clutch alone. My compressor seems to be in great shape, so rather than spend the money to have someone else replace the whole compressor, I'm going to buy the new compressor, swap the clutch over to the unit on my car, and keep the new compressor on the shelf in case the old compressor packs it in at some point.

f4n929

TDI
96' Passat TDI
First off 96' Passat TDI...94,000 miles
I have some A/C problems...we came on vacation and AC was working fine fine when we went to breakfast, came out and noting but hot air. We drove a few miles and it sounded like something started dragging and then broke loose and I could hear someting bumping the underneath of the car but i never saw anything shoot out the back. Does anybody have any idea if something could have fallen off the car? It seems to work fine accept the A/C isn't working and Hilton Head is extremely hot right now. I was going to tank it to a local shop since i don't have any tools or even a jack with stands so I can't really start digging around to see what seems to be the problem.

Thanks in advance!