AC problem

vol4til3

TDI
golf 4
Good day, I am having a very confusing problem with my MK4 golf TDI (AHF)

The problem is Air conditioning, I bought the car at an auction as a daily driver and as anticipated I wasn’t expecting all systems to be go, but you buy them "voetstoots".

Here is the conundrum. I wasn’t aware of how air conditioning works but All I know is if you put the blower on and press the AC button it will get cold on a hot summer’s day. Mine just blows hot air and that’s when I realized there was a problem, it is manual AC and not climatronic.

I started googling and I followed a few suggested remedies which all came back negative, they are.

1. when you start the car and you press the AC button it should light up and Both fans AC and radiator fan should start spinning at speed 1, Mine don’t spin in fact they never spin even after a 240km drive however there is never any overheating, the coolant temperature remains at 90 °C ,I am guessing the coolant temperature sensor is only triggered at 95 °C+ temperature to make the big fan spin. I did a jumper test on the fan connector using a jumper cable and they spin both at speed 1 and 2 both fans are working fine.

2. -Fuses- All fuses related to air-conditioning are in working order, all the fuses above the battery are working particularly fuse S164 40A & S180 30A, position 16 fuse in the cabin that is responsible for the AC clutch are all working.

3. The Fan control Module relay 1J0919506Q under the battery tray is in working condition it throws no error codes on the VAGcom I believe the module is J293, I can do an output test for the fans via VAG com and this I believe indicates the module is not faulty.

4. I thought it was the AC clutch was having a problem so I removed it and sent it in for repairs, they said they found the magnetic coil faulty and replaced it, when they sent it back because there was no freon in the system I took it into a AC garage to get some freon in the system but they said when they hooked the cylinders to the service ports and they set the AC blower to max and press the AC button there was no reaction from the compressor clutch to suck freon gas into the system, but when they jumped the connector on the AC pump the clutch engaged normally.

I have completely run out of ideas and diagnosis, maybe someone in the group has had the same problem and found a fix.

thanks

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds

This connector is located on top of the starter down beside the battery. (Left hand drive) you will notice wire 4 is broken that wire and the number 3 wire power the compressor. Check to make sure they are intact.

Also the fuse block on top of the battery is known for melting and one of those big fuses powers the fans. Check and clean all those fuse connections.

Fuse arangements in fuse bracket/battery:
S162. Glow plugs (coolant) (50A).
S163. Fuel pump (FP) relay/glow plug relay (50A).
S164. Coolant fan control (FC) control module/coolant fan (40A).
S176. Relays panel interior (110A).
S177. Generator (GEN) (90 Amp.) (110A).
Generator (GEN) (120 Amp.) (150A).
S178. ABS (hydraulic pumps) (30A).
S179. ABS (30A).
S180. Coolant fan

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Here is our go to a/c troubleshooting guide.

vol4til3

TDI
golf 4

This connector is located on top of the starter down beside the battery. (Left hand drive) you will notice wire 4 is broken that wire and the number 3 wire power the compressor. Check to make sure they are intact.

Also the fuse block on top of the battery is known for melting and one of those big fuses powers the fans. Check and clean all those fuse connections.

Fuse arangements in fuse bracket/battery:
S162. Glow plugs (coolant) (50A).
S163. Fuel pump (FP) relay/glow plug relay (50A).
S164. Coolant fan control (FC) control module/coolant fan (40A).
S176. Relays panel interior (110A).
S177. Generator (GEN) (90 Amp.) (110A).
Generator (GEN) (120 Amp.) (150A).
S178. ABS (hydraulic pumps) (30A).
S179. ABS (30A).
S180. Coolant fan

All the fuses and those connector cables are all fine

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Work your way through the troubleshooting guide that I linked to in post #3.

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
Certainly do the above I don't think a bad Fan Control Module will necessarily set a Trouble Code as you seem to think based on #3 in your first post.

whkdad

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI 5spd, 2003 Golf TDI 5spd (project)
I’d ask the AC shop if they evacuated the system first before they tried to recharge the system. This checks the system for leaks and also creates a vacuum to draw in the freon. They did confirm that the clutch engaged normally when they jumped the pump connection.

From A/C101
“After system has been evacuated a gauge reading 0f 29″ Hg (inches of vacuum) should be reached, run the vacuum pump for 20 minutes.
Close both AC manifold gauge valves
Shut off pump, wait for at least five minutes and verify that vacuum reading stays at 29″ Hg. If it does NOT then it’s likely there’s a leak.”

I suspect the answer from the shop maybe NO.