AC not blowing cold 30 psi low side 100 psi high side 75 ambient

03wgn5spd

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 TDI Wagon 5spd 2002 TDI Sedan Auto
Any idea what the issue can be?

Seems 175 high side 30 low side is more like it.

Thanks.

P2B

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta, 2003 Jetta, 2003 Jetta Wagon

Start there. Post 1 has links to step by step troubleshooting guides, check for electrical issues first.

I've actually never checked pressures in a MK4 AC system, always found an electrical issue before getting that far.

03wgn5spd

Veteran Member
TDI

Start there. Post 1 has links to step by step troubleshooting guides, check for electrical issues first.

I've actually never checked pressures in a MK4 AC system, always found an electrical issue before getting that far.
Fans run fine and compressor clutch engages fine when ac button is pressed. Just replaced txv valve which was original and had alot of bb looking ferrous material in it from a previous failed compressor I assume. Most threads here show 30 low 175 psi is reasonable at 75 psi ambient so no shortage of info there. I don't think it's an electrical problem and that thread is 69 pages long. Cools to about 62 in the shade at 75 degree ambient. Pulled a vacuum for about an hour and fed it 28 ounces of r134.

Last edited:

dieseldonato

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 jetta
Did you flush the system to get all the junk out from the failed compressor? Replace the receiver dryer? Also possible your blend doors are doing the famous foam fall off.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Just to add to dieseldonato statement check and see if you can move the blend door .
See if the pivot on the bottom , aft of the air bag module has dropped down about 1/8 of an inch. You need to remove the panel next to the go pedal and take a look.

03wgn5spd

Veteran Member
TDI
Did you flush the system to get all the junk out from the failed compressor? Replace the receiver dryer? Also possible your blend doors are doing the famous foam fall off.
No, I did not flush the system. I did not change the drier. I was a bad boy I know. I have a condenser with drier ready to put on but it looks like a pain in the butt to install.

03wgn5spd

Veteran Member
TDI
Just to add to dieseldonato statement check and see if you can move the blend door .
See if the pivot on the bottom , aft of the air bag module has dropped down about 1/8 of an inch. You need to remove the panel next to the go pedal and take a look.
I have been holding off checking this stuff cause I was scared of the enormity of the task. Is there any video on checking this. I am having a hard time visualizing this.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Check this video out

Don’t freak out because the whole HVAC is out …..can easily be done in the car.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
This one is checking while in the car.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
My AC hasn't worked in a few years. Fans won't come on.
MkIV's are going on 20 years old now, just let them die gracefully.
If you want AC, buy a new car.
Why? It doesn’t take much to fix them. Just because it new doesn’t mean that won’t break too.
I’ve had several brand new cars that have had issues , and the newer one a a pain in the a$$ to work on.
Everything is a special tool or a special electronic device to test something…..I believe in the KISS rule,

Keep
It
Simple
Stupid.

Ok…I’m off the soap box…..

03wgn5spd

Veteran Member
TDI
My AC hasn't worked in a few years. Fans won't come on.
MkIV's are going on 20 years old now, just let them die gracefully.
If you want AC, buy a new car.
Oh heck no!!!! I wish I had it as easy as you! My 21 year old sedan blows ice cold with me at the helm of both AC systems even with foam spitting in my eyes!

I am willing to bet that my new TXV is clogged again with BBs because I am too much of an ac hood rat to change the dryer and this is why my high pressure is low.

Last edited:

Genesis

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon
If the dryer is plugged it will eventually burn up the compressor. The compressor relies on the circulating refrigerant to cool it; the built-in regulator will keep it from exploding (or blowing the relief valve) BUT not from overheating if refrigerant circulation is abnormally low.

STDOUBT

Veteran Member
TDI
dos jettas

dieseldonato

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 jetta
The bb as you are refuring to are likely the desiccant from the receiver dryer that got pushed throughout the system with the failure of the compressor. Seen it quite a bit on equipment. Compressor goes boom, crap makes it down stream and chews up the expansion valve and receiver dryer, cloggs the orifice tube ect..... normally thays why it's reccomended to replace certain things and flush the system when a compressor goes out. Also make sure rhe new compressor has oil in it, and if the mfg reccomends adding oil to the system. Typically after a system is flushed you should have to add make up oil as the oil is carried by the refrigerant through the system.