AC issue related to ext. temp gauge?

matthewgb

TDI
2006 A5 . TDI . 5sp . Pk1. Platinum Grey (ON ORDER)
In the last 2 years or so the exterior temerature gauge on the dash will throw out a few wild readings and I have noticed a new trend that I was wondering if anyone else was experiencing. Lately the temperatures have been reading in the range of -20F to 40F and changes rapidly. Some days it works fine. When the problem first started the teperature readings were on the high side, like 120F. This hasn't really bothered me because I don't really depend on my car telling me the exterior temp, I can roll the window down. Since the temps have been reading on the LOW side of reality, the air conditioner won't produce very cold air. How are these systems linked or are they? Any suggestions? Where is the temperature sensor?

Thanks in advance.

2006 Jetta TDI, Pkg 1, 5sp

Last edited:

hid3

Banned
TDI
Golf V 1.9 TDI-PD 105 HP
Temperature sensor is (should be) on the left side in the front near radiator. You'll need to remove the fron bumper to access it. So be prepared to have a new one nearby. Also, you might consider moving it to a more comfortable/accessible location.

masterflex164

Veteran Member
TDI
AC compressor will not go on if the temp guage reads under about 40F.

If you have climatronic, I bet there are even more sensors involved

matthewgb

TDI
2006 A5 . TDI . 5sp . Pk1. Platinum Grey (ON ORDER)
Thanks for the info guys.

Looks like I will stop in the dealership so the extended warranty can take care of it, if it will act up on me the same day I show up there.

No climatronic for me, just the basic AC.

dweisel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
dweisel isn't diesel anymore!
The outside temp sensor has a broken wire on my 03 Beetle and reads ---. A/C works fine. I don't think it has anything to do with your AC not cooling.

Dweisel