AC fan always running...

dogger37

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 passat
I'm at 165,000 miles and feel like I've noticed lately that when my AC is on it seems as though the smaller cooling fan never turns off? Is this normal or was I just not paying attention that well the first 165,000 miles?? Definitely louder than I remember too...

Thanks
Donny

HBRD_KLR

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE 6M
Mine has been doing the same lately. Its been really hot so im running AC all the time. It always runs after i shut off the car. Shoot. The whole car has been getting louder as well.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
Both fans should run together. If only one is running the stationary one is broken. The engine computer will also call for fans to cool the intercooler. The fans on our '12 run almost continuously, even in the winter with the AC off.

-J

dogger37

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 passat
So if I check vag com will it tell me if the larger fan is malfunctioning? Any ideas of a cause for it not turning ?

Stamie

TDI
02 Golf GLS 324,000 all stock original..... 2013 Passat tdi se 62,000 same
Any one.... have kinda the opposite problem '13 Passat tdi A-6....no fans at all until coolant reaches temp. thus, no AC until fans come on. My '02 Golf tdi had the same problem which was fixed with a cooling fan control module. Cant find manual for the Passat....can't troubleshoot without one. Maybe a relay? Or a module? Anyone?

Spike_africa

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI/w DSG
The fans run when the AC is on. They also run when its hot of course, and they run when the car is doing a DPF regen to keep the engine bay cool. SO they run a lot. If you shut the car down while its doing a DPF regen, which the car doesn't tell you its doing which is super annoying. The fans will run till the whole thing cools down even with the car off and the keys out of it and the doors locked.

dogger37

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 passat
Large fan is bad.. It will go if u help it but will not start turning on its own. I'm tearing into it for replacement as we speak...

Also replacing the fuel pressure sensor. With the code being thrown its either a fault sensor or the HPFP is dying. Stay tuned....

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
The fans run when the AC is on. They also run when its hot of course, and they run when the car is doing a DPF regen to keep the engine bay cool. SO they run a lot. If you shut the car down while its doing a DPF regen, which the car doesn't tell you its doing which is super annoying. The fans will run till the whole thing cools down even with the car off and the keys out of it and the doors locked.
Couple points: The fans run on max speed during and just after a DPF regen. They end up running on the middle speed for the intercooler almost all the time. AC usage will start the fans out on low speed, and go up to a medium / high speed if demanded.

The fans will run after turning the car off if the coolant is above 212*F. They run on high speed until it's below 212.

-J