AC Compressor

Akvwtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI GLS 5 speed manual
There is a ringing coming from my right side. I can here it while I'm in between buildings. It's not doing it while I'm costing but either in gear or pushing the rpms in neutral. Is this the natural turbo? I remember someone talking about this noise and something bad happened to the engine but im hoping thats unrelated. I thought transmission or turbo but after getting home I'm suspecting the ac compressor or one of the pulleys. I recently replaced the alternator and tensioner and belt but not the idler pulley. Only thing I could do was listen while it was parked and have someone press the pedal and there's an apparent noise but not the exact ringing I'm hearing while driving, if that makes any sense. but it's not coming from the motor or the back of the motor or the turbo while i have it parked and pressing the pedal.

Last edited:

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 2005 BEW Beetle, 2005 Jetta Wagon
Take the serpentine belt off and see if it goes away. If the AC clutch plate nut is loose on the shaft as it has happened more than a few times it could cause a ringing as it bangs against the pulley.

Akvwtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Im still looking into this. I didn't know you could run the car without the belt.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Yep… won’t have power steering and battery light is on as it’s not spinning the alternator.
If you’ve ever had trouble and had to cut the belt or it failed on you while driving , you can still drive the car….
Just shut off all electrical devices not needed for essential driving , you will not have power steering and if your old enough you will remember how cars used to be …..P/S was a luxury back then…but you can still drive the car.
Happened to my daughter …shredded accessory belt over 35 miles from home……I drove out and swapped cars and she continued to work while I drove hers home in the rain….only used wipers when needed…..had no problems. Just an FYI…

Akvwtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Okay good to know. I think my old Ford Taurus lost all steering power at one point and they're not fun turning from what I remember.

Zak99b5

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
At speed it’s not bad at all. You’ll definitely notice turning onto streets in the city or in a parking lot though.

My first car, an MG B, had manual steering. But the steering wheels were bigger than to give more leverage. Same in the air-cooled VWs, which had the added advantage of no engine weight resting on the front wheels.

Akvwtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
It's definitely coming from my ac compressor. Can I take this thing apart and repair it?

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Define taking it apart?
You can pull the clutch off , that’s replaceable that has a bearing in it .
That’s not breaking into the system

Akvwtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Sorry yeah it's for sure coming from that clutch area. I'll look into this some more.

Akvwtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Sorry the ac clutch plate is that what's on the face of the pulley right? That center nut is tight and the plate doesn't feel loose. Could the bearings be washed up or can the clutch and bearings be done with the compressor on the car? Not sure really why it's doing that.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yes they can be done on the car . I believe that there is a how to on doing this.
Only special tool really needed is a deep 90 degree snap ring pliers to get the circling off .
Compressor needs to be dropped down onto a box and the sliding nuts that hold the compressor in place need to be tapped back a bit so you can reinstall the compressor.
Need to drop compressor so you can get to the clutch assy.