AC Compressor Clutch wont Engage - Turn Signal doesn't flash

Crop Farmer

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI, 5spd
I am new to this forum so I hope this is the place to post this. I have a 2003 Jetta TDI 5spd. My compressor clutch will not kick on. With the key on the auxiliary fans do tun on. I put power and ground to the clutch and it still wouldn't engage. I checked the fuses and I had a friend hook his gauges to it and I know that there is at least a good amount of refrigerant in it. Just looking for more things to try before I pay a shop to diagnose it.

Also my left turn signal doesnt always flash with the headlight switch on (sometimes it does work), it just stays on steadily. If the headlights are off the turn signal works fine. Thanks

elroy

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI GLS
If you gave power and ground to the clutch coil and it didnt engage then its faulty. Replace your clutch coil and go from there. I just replaced mine about 20 minutes ago. Fairly easy to do. Got it off ebay for $100 shipped to my door in Canada. MUCH cheaper than a new compressor and the headache of having the vacuum the system. Just double check what kind of compressor you have, Sanden or (forget other brand)

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Yep! I agree with Elroy's assessment.

eBay has the coil for cheaper than $100.00. Seems there is a complete kit (coil, clutch, pulley, etc., at a reasonable price). There is a write-up on how to remove and replace the coil........ I do not have the link. There were pics, but this is not rocket science.

With Serpentine belt off:

In summary.....

1. Remove the nut holding the clutch plate (14mm nut and screw driver for leverage). It will break loose easier than you might think. Wiggle/giggle the clutch and it will come off... it will only go back one way, it's in the splines.

2. With snap ring pliers, remove snap ring holding the pulley. Same thing here, wiggle/giggle and/or use a piece of wood to bash it loose and off.

3. With snap ring pliers, remove snap ring holding the coil....... this one is a PITA to get out. Once it is out, the coil will almost fall out. Of course, remove the wire assembly. And, notice the new coil will only fit one way.

I hope this helps!

elroy

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI GLS
the only part i can add is using a 3 jaw puller to get the pulley off. I couldn't tap it off nor did i want to try to hard. Granted that might have been because i had the 3 jaw puller handy. I found dropping the compressor down and leaving it on a milk crate filled over to take strain off the hoses was the easiest. It allowed me to see what i was doing and easy access to the snap rings.

Heres the site i went off. I dont think its 100% foolproof as the pictures and descriptions are out of order. However it does give you a general idea of what you'll be looking for.
http://www.myturbodiesel.com/wiki/air-conditioning-compressor-coil-replacement-mk4-vw/

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Yeah, I forgot to mention the work will go better if the compressor is removed (do not disconnect refrigerant lines). Also, if I recall, the link to myturbodiesel is for a Passat. But, the work is basically the same.

I used a big flat blade driver for leverage against the socket rather than the channel locks ..... and, I was able to do the work without removing the compressor as the engine is in my Vanagon.

SheeB

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta GLS Manual
Elroy,

Happen to have the link handy from Ebay? I'm in Canada too and have a Sanden compressor.

elroy

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI GLS
sorry just came back to this thread to check it out.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/26166346255...iewitem=&sspagename=ADME:L:OU:CA:1120&vxp=mtr

Thats the exact one i got. I dont know if this is for a Sanden compressor. Before purchasing this one i bought a used compressor from which i took the coil. (I didn`t want to take the car elsewhere to have the system vac and then refilled). What i didnt notice is the coil size was different, which i think caused it to burn out.

What im getting at is make sure you get the right size.