ac clutch plate fell off

epp

TDI
2002 Jetta Wagon
My ac quit working a few days ago on my 2002 Jetta Wagon TDI and I have been reading a few of the threads on replacing the ac compressor clutch. I drove my car up on ramps to take a look. When I removed the skid plate the ac clutch plate fell out and this is the only piece that I found. I took a few pictures and would like to apologize for them not being too clear. I was in a hurry to button things back up so I could get my son to soccer practice. My question is other than the retaining nut and some shims, is there anything else that flew off? If I can get some shims and a retaining nut can I just put the old clutch plate back on without replacing the whole clutch assembly?

Front view of clutch plate:

Rear view of clutch plate:

Remaining ac clutch assembly:

Andrewh

Veteran Member
I believe so. I have seen that happen on a toyota. I just got a pack of shims and had to do some trial and error till I got the right number of them in.
I don't remember why I had to figure out which shims, but it makes a difference.
Seems like either the clutch would not engage, or always stayed engaged, or made noise or something, so I would add a shim and tighten. It was obvious when I did it, but it has been a couple of years.
Make sure you are consistent on tightening the nut or bolt, because it affects it. Then I would lock tight it.

epp

TDI
2002 Jetta Wagon
I think I will give it a try. I'll need to get the nut and some shims. I have the Bentley manual and it shows to tighten the nut to 15 Nm (11 ft-lb) and the gap between the plate and the clutch pulley should be between 0.4-0.8mm (0.01500.032 in). If I get it back working, I wonder how long it will last before it falls off again.

epp

TDI
2002 Jetta Wagon
Understood. I think I stil have some blue left somewhere. Turns out VW sells a kit that includes the nut, shims, and retaining clip (circlip) for $19.15, part number 1J0-298-012. Hard to believe but it is not a stock item and I currently have one on order. Should be here tuesday. I guess if you bring your car in to them with this problem they just sell you a new compressor with clutch.

epp

TDI
2002 Jetta Wagon
I picked up the parts on Thursday and reinstalled the clutch plate on Saturday. Temps were still in the low 100s and the AC worked great. The threads on this subject and pictures in the Forum were a great help and I'm sure saved me a bunch of money.