ABS to non ABS breaks

ss010949

TDI
2003 jetta wagon , 2014 audi Q7
i solved the problem . took out the instrument cluster , took it all apart , used a soldering iron and pulled the abs LED rite off the board . reassembled and reinstalled the cluster . no more light . took it back to be inspected and passed . thanks for your input guys .

Zak99b5

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
I actually found codes for my abs. I used a generic scanner that reads abs and air bag lights, but it couldn’t communicate with the controller, so I assumed the solder connections cracked in the abs module.

Then I used VCDS and got 00287 (twice), 00290, and 00285. Two are right rear (00287s), 00290 is rear left, and 00285 is front left.

Maybe I will try replacing those sensors. Though apparently they’re a b!tch to remove. Upstate NY salt FTL.

P2B

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta, 2003 Jetta, 2003 Jetta Wagon
Maybe I will try replacing those sensors. Though apparently they’re a b!tch to remove. Upstate NY salt FTL.
The rear sensors can be a pain to remove, I use a piece of round steel rod through a wheel stud hole to pound on it. The tiny mounting bolt always breaks but don't worry about that as the new sensor is a friction fit, it's not going anywhere.

The rear sensors usually fail because the tone ring rusts, swells, and contacts the sensor. You can sometimes fix the tone ring with a file while spinning the hub with a drill, otherwise you need to replace it or it will trash the new sensor before you get out of the driveway.

Zak99b5

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
I did just replace the left rear wheel bearing, which Of course includes the tone wheel. Not the right though

Watched a video where the guy calls the wheel speed sensors “corrupt politicians—the longer they’re there, the harder it is to remove them.”

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 1999.5 jettaIV,2005 BEW Beetle
I did just replace the left rear wheel bearing, which Of course includes the tone wheel. Not the right though

Watched a video where the guy calls the wheel speed sensors “corrupt politicians—the longer they’re there, the harder it is to remove them.”
Yup, in the salt belt the screws that hold the sensors in place can also be very stubborn. You DO NOT want to break off the screw. I approach this job with a torch and a lot of patience. Softening up the plastic on the sensor can help but they almost never come out in one piece. Seek and destroy.

P2B

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta, 2003 Jetta, 2003 Jetta Wagon
Yup, in the salt belt the screws that hold the sensors in place can also be very stubborn. You DO NOT want to break off the screw.
I have not had one come out ever, they all break but it doesn't matter because the new sensor is a friction fit, no fastener required.