ABS to non ABS breaks

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB

ss010949

TDI
2003 jetta wagon , 2014 audi Q7
have had nothing but problems with mine since 2005 . now this is the second pump that i have to replace

Zak99b5

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
I just drive with the solid ABS and blinking BRAKE lights. The beeps I don’t even hear any more.

ss010949

TDI
I wouldn"t mind the abs light on . but they will not pass me for inspection in NY .

ss010949

TDI
i wouldn't mind the abs light staying on all the time , but they will not pass it for inspection in NY . no beeps or anything just the abs light on all the time , but brakes work fine otherwise

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
What’s the issue?

Zak99b5

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
i wouldn't mind the abs light staying on all the time , but they will not pass it for inspection in NY . no beeps or anything just the abs light on all the time , but brakes work fine otherwise
My car passed NYSI with the light on.

Zak99b5

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
My mechanic did say the blinking brake light should make it fail, but the mechanical brakes were good so he passed it. I do not think just an ABS light would fail it automatically, but then again what do I know.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
There’s a problem with the ABS modules….. more so with the Two plug version , I believe it’s the MK40 .
I think the 02 and 03 use the big connector , Mk 60.
Im assuming that the wiring is the same just plugged into the connector a different way.
The problems I had with the abs I believe was the same code you had. The problem is the solder joints are cracking that power the pump itself.
There was a write up on vortex on how to cut the top of the controller , verify a cracked solder joint and resolder all the heavy wired joints.
All of my cars are Mk 40’s except for the one 03 I have ( mk60 ). I’ve bought a couple off eBay that are ASR , as I’ve installed them on all our cars ( traction control , cheap position traction ) but before I did I took each one apart and found all cracked , resoldered the joints and all are good now.

If you still have your old one cut the back off your controller and inspect the solder joints to the motor for cracked solder…might be an easy fix.
Also you can look on EBay for an Mk 60 , ABS with ASR , it makes a difference in the winter and wet roads when pulling out onto a street….no more one tire spinning , you do have to step on the go pedal more ( the abs with asr uses the abs braking system to stop spinning the slipping wheel and force the other wheel to turn there’s a light already on the cluster that will flash when engaged and you will hear it to ).
Normally ASR is issued to vw’s that are gas powered not diesels. But for me I live in the hills and helps tremendously in the snow. Just my .02.

Zak99b5

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
There’s a problem with the ABS modules….. more so with the Two plug version , I believe it’s the MK40 .
I think the 02 and 03 use the big connector , Mk 60.
Im assuming that the wiring is the same just plugged into the connector a different way.
The problems I had with the abs I believe was the same code you had. The problem is the solder joints are cracking that power the pump itself.
There was a write up on vortex on how to cut the top of the controller , verify a cracked solder joint and resolder all the heavy wired joints.
All of my cars are Mk 40’s except for the one 03 I have ( mk60 ). I’ve bought a couple off eBay that are ASR , as I’ve installed them on all our cars ( traction control , cheap position traction ) but before I did I took each one apart and found all cracked , resoldered the joints and all are good now.

If you still have your old one cut the back off your controller and inspect the solder joints to the motor for cracked solder…might be an easy fix.
Also you can look on EBay for an Mk 60 , ABS with ASR , it makes a difference in the winter and wet roads when pulling out onto a street….no more one tire spinning , you do have to step on the go pedal more ( the abs with asr uses the abs braking system to stop spinning the slipping wheel and force the other wheel to turn there’s a light already on the cluster that will flash when engaged and you will hear it to ).
Normally ASR is issued to vw’s that are gas powered not diesels. But for me I live in the hills and helps tremendously in the snow. Just my .02.
Interesting. I know the B5 ABS modules had a similar issue but it was with solder joints on hair-thin wires. I sent it out to be repaired, and you could still drive the car. I guess with A4 chassis cars you can’t do that. But if I could solder it myself (I’ve done some guitar pickup soldering) then vehicle down-time is greatly reduced. I did find a place online that will fix my module (‘03 but no ASR) for like $100. But it’s through the mail of course so the better part of a week.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I’d look for one with ASR , cut the controller top off ( carefully with a hack saw blade in your hand ) inspect , repair it and install it…….I don’t think you’d be sorry and down time is only a few hours. You will need VCDS to bleed the ABS system.
I know the neck of woods your in as I’m only 2 hours south of you.

Zak99b5

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
I’d look for one with ASR , cut the controller top off ( carefully with a hack saw blade in your hand ) inspect , repair it and install it…….I don’t think you’d be sorry and down time is only a few hours. You will need VCDS to bleed the ABS system.
I know the neck of woods your in as I’m only 2 hours south of you.
Ok I will look into sourcing an ABS module with the ASR.

I may know your neck of the woods, as I was born and reared in North Jersey (Bergen/Passaic/Morris counties area).

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
I just drive with the solid ABS and blinking BRAKE lights. The beeps I don’t even hear any more.
My Beetle doesn't beep - just the solid ABS light on the dash.

It's hard to justify $1000 - $2000 repair on a 22 year old car. (needs replacement ABS pump)

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
It's hard to justify $1000 - $2000 repair on a 22 year old car. (needs replacement ABS pump)
Maybe for a new pump , but there are plenty of used salvageable units out there .
I think I paid $130.00 off eBay for the last one with ASR.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Last edited:

ss010949

TDI
OK guys another problem has just arose . my rear window goes up and down on its own and will not close . it stops about 4 inches from the top . if you hit the switch to close , the window goes down then up to the same position ( 4 inches from top ) and stops . i'm confused .

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
There’s a safty circuit in the window motor or ccm not sure , but if it senses some binding the window motor will reverse
( thinking a child’s hand , head or other body part Is there).
Take some dry film lubricant or some silicon spray and spray it down the felt track guides on either side of the window , then cycle the window up and down a few times , should clear it up.