Abs light on / Airbag light on / no code

eberg

TDI
2005 Jetta TDI, Manual - 2000 Golf TDI, Manual
My yr 2000 Golf TDI is experiencing some gremlins:

first abs light is on - somtimes it will briefly turn off, but brake pedal will vibrate.

Then this morning, airbag light is on too!

For some time I have also had issues with the lights. When lights are turned on, and if signaling to the right, and pushing the brakes at the same time, it will start blinking very fast and all the lights on the back will act up. This only happens when signaling to the right and pressing the brake at the same time!

I am confused - is this all related to the same thing - bad ground??? or do I have multiple systems failing at the same time?

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Could be a ground. Does your horn work or is that giving you problems also? My first guess is the clock spring in your steering column is going bad. Are there any noises when you turn your steering wheel? Your abs is probably a bad wheel sensor. To really know you need to get it scanned with VCDS. Otherwise youre just going to throw parts at it till you finally guess right or get lucky. You will have codes you just can't read the airbag or brake system with a regular scanner.

D24T

TDI
2001 Jetta
For the ABS, it sounds like you have a loose sensor wire triggering the ABS. This illuminates the ABS light, but not the check engine with a OBDII code (from my experience).

As far as the rear lights, check your wiring and bulbs. Start there, you may find what is causing the problem..

Spenser

eberg

TDI
Thanks for the feedback guys! it is nice to have a starting point when trying to track down the problem.

eberg

TDI
Finally getting around to doing something about these issues. ABS light turned out to be due to a broken wire on the right rear wheel - fixed now.

Airbag light still on - the horn IS working and there are no noises when turning the steering wheel - is the clock spring still the likely culprit??

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Probably not the clockspring. You need to get someone to hook your car up to vcds, that will tell you which airbag is setting a fault code. Did you have anything disconnected lately like a front seat removed for cleaning or something like that?

Glad you figured out the abs light.

dweisel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
dweisel isn't diesel anymore!
Air bag

Yes'scan with VCDS. Possible air bag light would be seat belt female side. They are almost always a problem.

eberg

TDI
I think the problem has been found - broken wire underneath the drivers seat - "fixed it" - airbag light went out for a second or two and came back on.
Going to reattempt joining the broken wire - but will the airbag light actually turn itself off, or does it have to be done with VCDS?

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Isn't there anyone in your area with a VCDS? There is a locater list on this forum..somewhere I think.

It would probably be a good idea to disconnect your battery before attempting to repair that wire. Actually as I think about it, you said it went off and then came back on? Was that when you started the car? If so you've probably already fixed it you just need to have the code cleared.

eberg

TDI
Isn't there anyone in your area with a VCDS? There is a locater list on this forum..somewhere I think.

It would probably be a good idea to disconnect your battery before attempting to repair that wire. Actually as I think about it, you said it went off and then came back on? Was that when you started the car? If so you've probably already fixed it you just need to have the code cleared.
It could well be that there is someone with VCDS near me - I am a bit hesitant about bugging people. Guess I need to think hard about buying the software.

The battery was disconnected prior to messing with the wire.

Yes the light turned off when starting the car, for a second or two, and then came back on.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yes the light turned off when starting the car, for a second or two, and then came back on.
I think you got it fixed then. Unless you want to make absolutely sure of the connection. You just need to get the light reset. As far as bugging people, the most they can do is tell you to bug off, but for most guys on this forum, from what I've seen, they wouldn't mind helping at all. Some have even gone out of their way while on vacation to do so.

eberg

TDI
Check the grounding points under the airbox
Good reminder - I need to find and check the grounding points on this car (I thought they were underneath the battery?) - it has a lot of weird gremlins - under certain conditions every light on the back flickers when signaling to the left, interior lights work sometimes, sometimes not, cruise control does not work, etc.

btw. I'm amazed that his site has active members as far away as Denmark! :)