ABS issue

cochrank

TDI
2002 Jetta
I just replaced my rear brakes on my 02 Jetta TDI. All seemed well. Drove it ~ 40 miles shut it off and life was good. Whne to go drive it again and the ABS light came on. Tokk off the rear tires just to make sure i didn't pintch wires or loosen connection and they were fine. Just of S and giggles looked at teh front tires, they too were fine. Brakes were working but i guess the ABS is not. tried to remove the fuse and replace still nothing. Now this is bothering me, i though it might be the rear brakes were not adjusted all the way so I started pumping the pedal, I found that when I appried pressure they were stiff but as I pushed hard on them they slowly went to the floor. Fluid is fine and no leaks in the brake lines. Again I depressed the pedal, brakes are hard but the longer I pushed on them the slowly started going to the floor. Can anybody help with a fix/solution to what is going on with this and the ABS?

NETHED

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDI (Gone...but not forgotten)
can you get the ABS to kick in at all?

Check your front speed sensors, and find someone who has a Vag-Com to run the code for you. That will help out.

cochrank

TDI
2002 Jetta
I have the VAGCOM free software i downloaded from rosstech and I just ordered the cable. I should have it soon and then i can see what the issue might be.

cochrank

TDI
2002 Jetta
Ok, I received the cable (cheap one from ebay, I know I shouldn't have but I did get it to work sort of after fiddling around with it). The codes that came up were:

Address 01: Engine
Controller: 038 906 012 FD
Component: 1,9l R4 EDC G000SG 4102
Coding: 00002
Shop #: WSC 00066
3VWSP69M62M147871 VWZ7Z0A4772611
1 Fault Found:
18057 - Powertrain Data Bus: Missing Message from ABS Controller
P1649 - 35-00 - -
Readiness: N/A

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Address 03: ABS Brakes
Controller: 1C0 907 379 J
Component: ABS FRONT MK60 0103
Coding: 0004097
Shop #: WSC 00066
1 Fault Found:
00285 - ABS Wheel Speed Sensor: Front Right (G45)
012 - Electrical Fault in Circuit

I was able to clear the engine code but not the ABS code. Can anybody assist?

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
can't offer a solution, but I'm curious. Have you ever changed your brake fluid?

cochrank

TDI
2002 Jetta
No I have nevr changed the brake fluid yet (78,000 miles). When should this be done, I thought it was supposed to be later than that. Also I would love to check the speed sensor but what does it look like. I have two sensors on the fron tire driveshaft area. Once I find it what should I be looking for as to a problem (meaning how do I know if the sensor is bad if all the wires, etc. are in good order) Thanks again to everybody for the help.

Herm TDI

Vendor
Richmond, Maine...The far side of Witsend
TDI
2002 Golf GLS Malone Stage 3, P+520 nozzles, 11MM Inj pump, Sachs VR6 clutch, Stelth Race Pipe, Immo Deleat, EGR Deleat
I just replaced a R/front ABS sensor (should have put togeather a "how to").
The job is not difficault (with the right tools)
The real issue will be removing the old ABS sensor. These tend to sieze due to corrosion.

Here is what I did:
Remove the wheel assembly
Remove the caliper (support the caliper)
Remove rotor
Remove the sheet metal stone guard (three (3) 10 MM bolts)
Use a hack saw to cut the out-board end of the ABS sensor off
Remove the ABS retainer screw
Use a 3/8" drift punch to knock out the old ABS sensor

Now the fun part:
The hole for the ABS sensor needs to be cleaned...your's will be corroded.
I used a flex shaft drill and a 1/2" gringing stone and cleaned the hole in less than 5 minutes.
Other options would be a half round file, or perhaps a Dremal tool with a "sanding drum' tip

Once you have the hole clean then seat the new ABS sensor and secure the mount screw.
Reattach the stone guard, rotor and caliper.

cochrank

TDI
2002 Jetta
so changing the sensor should solve the issue? Also guess i am a little behind on the brake fluid. Does the VW take a special kind?

Herm TDI

Vendor
Richmond, Maine...The far side of Witsend
TDI
2002 Golf GLS Malone Stage 3, P+520 nozzles, 11MM Inj pump, Sachs VR6 clutch, Stelth Race Pipe, Immo Deleat, EGR Deleat
cochrank said:
so changing the sensor should solve the issue? Also guess i am a little behind on the brake fluid. Does the VW take a special kind?
Any brand of Brake fluid will do...as long as it is rated "DOT-4"