about to order spec 2 clutch. Which one doesn't make noise? SMF or DMF?

Pcar993

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2000 White
I know they make SMF and DMF but which one does not make noise? I head spec stage 2 doesnt make noise so that why im going with that but then i heard SMF or DMF makes more noise than the other. So which one is it?

2footbraker

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta, 01 Golf
I am pretty sure that any single mass flywheel will make more noise than a dual mass in a diesel. I haven't heard of any difference on noise amongst the different stages of SPEC combos.

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
That is one of the main reasons for a DMF. NVH reduction. Also stands to reason that a solid chunk of steel will transfer noises better than a couple plates of steel with a thick fluid between them.

Slightly off topic here-didn't hot rodders back in the '60's and '70's use aluminium valve covers to deaden to sound from solid lifters?

jayp111

Veteran Member
TDI
n/a
SilverGhost said:
That is one of the main reasons for a DMF. NVH reduction. Also stands to reason that a solid chunk of steel will transfer noises better than a couple plates of steel with a thick fluid between them.

Slightly off topic here-didn't hot rodders back in the '60's and '70's use aluminium valve covers to deaden to sound from solid lifters?
Actually aluminum transmits sound/vibration VERY well.....next time you're in a bike shot looking for a bike for Junior take a look at what that bell is made of.

This is ONE of the reasons that a solid Aluminum FW will generally be noisier than a solid Steel FW.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
The G60 flywheel with the Corrado VR6 clutch is the one that has the 'rattle' that people talk about. I have one in my wagon and it's quite noticeable. However, the SPEC flywheel may not rattle: I've experienced them in a couple of A4 cars and they were quiet. One option I want to investigate is if we can use the stock A3 flywheel with a VR6 clutch: the A3 flywheel is single mass, but it doesn't rattle.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
The SPEC clutch won't rattle. You can also get a SMF but you need to maintain the stock FW weight. SACHS Powerclutch is a very nice choice for SMF config.

2footbraker

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta, 01 Golf
Is it the flywheel that is chattering or the sprung hub clutch? Or there may be enough play in the clutch plate spline that it vibrates between the flywheel and the pressure plate.

jthesby

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Silver TDI Golf
throwing in my two cents, my lightweight sm flywheel with stage 1 spec rattles louder than the engine, seriously, now people actualy believe me when i tell them its a diesel.... other than the soot:D

KROUT

persona non grata
satge 2 with duel mass flywheel doesn't chatter its nice and quiet. (until all my torque take its toll and trashes the fly wheel.

Pcar993

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2000 White
TooRoundTDI said:
It is the transmission internals that rattle with a SMF. Not the clutch setup. The DMF absorbs the harmonics that make the trans internals rattle.
Soooo SMF is louder than DMF? Did i understand that right?

How can i tell if my car is SMF or DMF?

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
justpaddlek1 said:
Actually aluminum transmits sound/vibration VERY well.....next time you're in a bike shot looking for a bike for Junior take a look at what that bell is made of.

This is ONE of the reasons that a solid Aluminum FW will generally be noisier than a solid Steel FW.
Well, yeah, I know if you have a metal to metal contact it rings really well. Much easier to make a lot of noise as apposed to steel. On the other hand I remember the valve click on my old AC Beetle got quiter when we swapped the tin covers for cast aluminium. My thinking is the cork or rubber gasket insulates the noises in the block from resonating with the valve cover through direct contact. The extra thinkness and rough inside texture muffled the noises from air contact.

Remember, this is all a guess as to the why. I just put them on the beetle for the cool look and was rewarded with less of the Singer tick.

Pcar993 said:
Soooo SMF is louder than DMF? Did i understand that right?

How can i tell if my car is SMF or DMF?
Uhh...(thinking, click...whirr :)) if you can get at the ring gear on the flywheel, maybe through that rubber plug on top, and rotate the flywheel back and forth while someone or somthing holds the crank pulley stationary. I know from doing clutch jobs that you can just grab the ring gear and rotate it back and forth by hand. This is all true if you have a DMF. Of course you shouldn't be able to do that if is is a SMF, or something is broke.

2footbraker

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta, 01 Golf
If you check the SPEC website for your year of car, it will say if the OEM is dual or single mass. I think your car (2000 Golf?) is a dual mass but I am not positive.

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
justpaddlek1 said:
And by solid Al, you mean one that is bolted/riveted to a steel friction plate and a steel ring gear. ;)

rickbeau

TDI
'06.5 Blk Jetta TDI, Anthrocite, Pkg 1
KROUT said:
satge 2 with duel mass flywheel doesn't chatter its nice and quiet. (until all my torque take its toll and trashes the fly wheel.
Krout, I'm a bit confused. Did you keep your stock OEM DMF and order everything else? I'm not familiar with clutch design and find not knowing what to order on the spec website a bit confusing. They mention flywheels and performance kits. They have several kits available. Non - SAC and sprung hub. Totally confused.

Best regards,

Rick

2footbraker

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta, 01 Golf
You have to be careful mixing and matching clutches and flywheels. Make sure the SPEC clutch will fit on your OEM flywheel before you order it.

SAC=self-adjusting clutch (the Luk pressure plate)
Sprung-hub just means the clutch disc has springs to dampen vibrations between the disc and the driveshaft.

Most people go with stage 2 and are happy with it. Anything higher gets really "grabby" and loud. Stage 1 is probably fine too.

rickbeau

TDI
'06.5 Blk Jetta TDI, Anthrocite, Pkg 1
I also found on another thread posted by tdiracing.com that he just had his DMF flywheel relined with a performance lining. He is quite happy with the result. I've since asked for more information about this mod as well.

Taggs

TDI
Jetta, 2001, Blue
I have a stage 2 Spec with a stock flywheel. I did this because I didn't want the vibration that the engine produces traveling through the single mass flywheel into my trans. Dave

LiquidBlackDZL

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf
So far, I've read up on the VR6 & g60 (lightened and stock weight), power clutch & g60 (lightened and stock weight) and Spec 2 & stock DMF. But what experiences has anyone had with a Spec 2 and stock weight G60 flywheel? Does this setup still make any noise? This is the kit I am leaning towards.

eetsoot

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2002, galaxy blue
Single Mass flywheel (G60) = noise!

Lighter flywheel makes no difference in noise except louder. Yes the lighter will rev and fall slightly faster.

People have mentioned that Spec 2 does have a slight shutter/grabbiness when starting from a dead stop. The disc won't make a difference in noise because it has nothing to do with the noise. The noise is the vibration from the crank rattling the gears in the tranny. The springs on the disk are not capable of dampening it.

So LiquidBlackDzl, if you opt for a G60 style flywheel you will have noise, no ifs, ands, or buts about it. After 190K, I just live with the chatter because I like the feel of the clutch. When it goes I'll just throw another VR6 disk back in. Why tamper with success. Besides I just sold my orignal DM flywheel a few weeks ago so now I'm committed.

Last edited:

LiquidBlackDZL

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf
I was just thinking that since a few people with the g60 flywheel and power clutch were lucky to not have any noise, that maybe the vr6 spec 2 might be the same. I just can't justify the extra $200+ for the power clutch with minimal increase in torque capacity over the stock VR6 clutch. But the spec 2 would've been worth the extra money if it had any chance in not being noisy.

Pcar993

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2000 White
I just ordered SMF with spec stage 2 so i will let you know if i hear clatter noise or not. and how the clucth engages.

diesel4ever

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2000, black
Installed G60 clutch with SMF and no percieved louder noise. I had to discard the original flywheel bolts (fastening to the crankshaft) for 'low profile' head bolts. There would be a lot of noise, otherwise because of interference with the plate. If they are noisy I would suspect there is something wrong with them. I am very happy with my set-up.