AAZ > 1Z in 1982 Westy ....

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI

the subject: original 1.6D westy that my friend Don purchased from utah over a decade ago...my buddy converted it to an AAZ and then to run on straight WVO with an elsbett kit... I've mothballed the veggie system and in the process of converting it to a 1Z tdi from a 97' passat donor

the still beating heart with a gt2052 WG turbo ... pump will be swapped for a full E-TDI setup as i progress with the project

serpentine setup i've been working on, using an ALH balancer for slight underdrive and better reliability and a 1.6d t belt tensioner....no power steering at the moment but plans include adding an electric ps unit from a saturn VUE

intake is a pd130 unit with custom welded racepipe, yes that is a luk 17-050 dmf/clutch setup ;)

clearancing for the LUK DMF setup

Last edited:

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI

trans ready for bell housing... that's the larger spline input from germany here for the TDI 28 spline clutch disc, this allows you to run a stock G60/VR setup in your vanagon ... internals include a weddle 3/4 gearset, larger input bearing, remachined weddle cases, oiling plates and a peloquin diff

custom drainback fabbed from a BHW unit using teflon braided and pex clamps... works fantastic btw

installed this twin pass "amosdoodle" intercooler setup when it still had the AAZ

pipework

Last edited:

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
Lots of good ideas in here!

I like the serpentine set up. Is that a vr6 water pump pulley?

-Todd

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Lots of good ideas in here!

I like the serpentine set up. Is that a vr6 water pump pulley?

-Todd
thanks Todd, yes, that is a vr6 water pump pulley ... i had to space it out via two 5/16" washers on each bolt to get out enough... i'm convinced however there is an off the shelf VAG pulley that has the exact spacing i need, if not i'll have a spacer machined for the right fit ... as for the serp tensioner it is mounted to a short drop down bracket that will be revised in the near future

Tdipickup

Veteran Member
TDI
alh caddy, ahu caddy, 03 tdi beetle, 07 gti
thanks Todd, yes, that is a vr6 water pump pulley ... i had to space it out via two 5/16" washers on each bolt to get out enough... i'm convinced however there is an off the shelf VAG pulley that has the exact spacing i need, if not i'll have a spacer machined for the right fit ... as for the serp tensioner it is mounted to a short drop down bracket that will be revised in the near future

I used a water pump pulley off a non ac ahu. Almost like vr6, except correct spacing, lines up with tdi harmonic balancer perfectly. I have another one if anybody is interested, shoot me a pm.

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
not related to swapping engines but ever since i got the van i wanted to upgrade the rusty top hardware :)

old

new ^^ .... found these on ebay for about $6 per bag of eight shipped, ordered four bags to cover the twenty seven bolts i needed to replace.... it's a stainless steel m6x1x16 countersunk bolt and an anodized aluminum washer... thread length was perfect for replacing all the top hardware ... i did have to silicone the latch and strut bolts as they pentrated into the cabin but all others were installed dry

Last edited:

CRSMP5

Veteran Member
TDI
idi
i think id add silicone to the others also.. staniless to aluminum corrode in a odd way.. being a kubvan owner i can see how steel vs stainless corrodes aluminum.. a smer in each tapered seat will keep the washers from turning to dust over time

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
i think id add silicone to the others also.. staniless to aluminum corrode in a odd way.. being a kubvan owner i can see how steel vs stainless corrodes aluminum.. a smer in each tapered seat will keep the washers from turning to dust over time
i'm hoping the anodization on the washers will prevent this but i'll keep an eye on it nontheless ... thanks !

sccaddy

Veteran Member
TDI
96TDI Passat, 1.6 81d caddy, 86d golf, 82d rabbit, 81ALH caddy, 82 Westy
Well Done. Glad to see this. I'd love to do this swap in mine, w the 96 passat.

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
big brake upgrade ....

wanted big brakes while retaining the rhein 15" alloys and manual knuckles so i came up with my own big brake kit :D

about 1/4" of clearance between the caliper and rim, no spacers required

these are crown vic rotors machined down to just over 12" ....calipers are mercedes twin piston from a 300sd with some machine work required to get them cozy with the knuckles but the stopping power is massive :D

size comparison between the stock vanagon rotor and the machined down crown vic rotor :eek:

Last edited:

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
cabin trip

up the hill from the springhouse

at the moment of gained traction... it rained all night and made a soupy
mess at the top of the drive... that's Clay and Nicole giving a needed boost :)

just after getting unstuck, triumph !! :)

Last edited:

shortysclimbin

Veteran Member
TDI
Kubvan, mk2 golf, mk6 golf
Jimbote,

Any pictures of the serpentine belt bracket setup? I have my ahu in a mk2 and would like to remove that pesky power steering belt and tie everything into one. I am keeping the PS and AC though. If I can do this I gain 24mm more room for changing belts.. this doesn't sound like a lot but it really is. Also, I eliminate that silly belt squeal when wet.

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Jimbote,
Any pictures of the serpentine belt bracket setup? I have my ahu in a mk2 and would like to remove that pesky power steering belt and tie everything into one. I am keeping the PS and AC though. If I can do this I gain 24mm more room for changing belts.. this doesn't sound like a lot but it really is. Also, I eliminate that silly belt squeal when wet.
sorry, i don't have any pics... not running power steering so the bracket won't let you incorporate that into the serpentine system ....

Zeitgeist

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Variant and Vanagon mTDI
Assuming that's the stock AAZ pump, how's the power?

I really like your MB brake mod. It's hard to tell from the pics, but how did you attach the rotors to the turned down hubs?

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Assuming that's the stock AAZ pump, how's the power?

I really like your MB brake mod. It's hard to tell from the pics, but how did you attach the rotors to the turned down hubs?
it's a rover 11mm pump modified with an ALH hub and threaded inserts on the mounting ears for easier installation... the power is great combined with the dlc1019's and the gt2052 wastegated turbo ... the rotors are attached to the back of the hubs via 14 x 1.5 x 65 mm allen bolts that also serve as wheel studs... not really obvious are the 5mm (iirc) spacers between the rotor and hub made from 380sel rear rotor hats turned down... had to add these to keep everything in alignment

Last edited:

Zeitgeist

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Variant and Vanagon mTDI
Cool, I have the same pump on my ALH swap, but the engine still has the stock automatic injectors, which I fear will be too small for the kind of power my van needs. I'm 99% done with the swap, but haven't fired it up yet. Can you recommend a source for those injectors?

Your brake swap is a real boon for pre-'86 Vanagons. You could probably sell every set if you put together a kit.

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat B4V, ALH engine out of a 2002 Jetta, some IE Rods and ASV Pistons. Nothing drivable yet though
Ugh I want a TDI westifalia so bad! Looks really good, I am trying to source the best parts for my oil feed and drain lines. Where did you get your Teflon braided stuff? Good work!

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Ugh I want a TDI westifalia so bad! Looks really good, I am trying to source the best parts for my oil feed and drain lines. Where did you get your Teflon braided stuff? Good work!

it came from a local hydraulic hose repair shop so it's rated for oil.... yeah I really like this van, it's a little older but it was well-kept and it was from Utah so very little rust

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
looks like photobucket is holding my images hostage for a mere $400 ransom !! i was all set to pay $20 or something more reasonable ... i guess they get nothing ;) ... i'll try and rehost some of my thread photos on this site ... sorry guys, i think a lot of people got slammed by this ridiculous out of the blue change of terms

smelly621

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf, 2003 Tacoma
ARGH!! Jimbote - your pictures are so helpful and a valuable resource to this forum. I wonder if the mods would be able to set you up with more tdiclub space to store all your photos on? Just the pictures alone in an album on here that people could browse would be better than losing them forever.

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
ARGH!! Jimbote - your pictures are so helpful and a valuable resource to this forum. I wonder if the mods would be able to set you up with more tdiclub space to store all your photos on? Just the pictures alone in an album on here that people could browse would be better than losing them forever.
looks like TDIclub gives unliminted room to store images :D ...I did get my pics moved from photobucket to my laptop....now comes the time consuming task of loading them to the TDI club server, then copy pasting them to my threads...Only 300 plus photos to go :rolleyes:

smelly621

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf, 2003 Tacoma
Good to know! I only really post here so I guess that solves my question of where to host.

Photo bucket made it so easy with the tagged link and everything off to the side you could just plop in-line with your post. Maybe the next oppressively hot weekend day I'll sit down with some beer and update my thread. I have been meaning to get some newer pictures of the "almost but never" finished product anyways.

Unfortunately I am sure many great builds across the internet will never get their links fixed.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Jimbote, although I have not made any comments, I've been following along.

Your project has turned out really well.

How's the IAT with middle-mounted Intercooler?

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Jimbote, although I have not made any comments, I've been following along.

Your project has turned out really well.

How's the IAT with middle-mounted Intercooler?
thanks Andy :) ... i haven't measured my van because it's currently M-Tdi... however my buddy Tom (Amosdoodle) has the exact same intercooler setup and iirc it was 20-30 degrees above ambient even up long grades under full throttle ... the setup really works ... one thing i noticed on my van when it still had the AAZ and no intercooler...the van would start to run hot on long high speed drives, after installing the "amosdoodle" intercooler setup the temps were noticeably reduced... i believe this was because of the heat loading that the hot intake air induced into the head and thus the coolant... i'll be going E-Tdi later this year and will report back with some logs .... on another note, did you get your starter issue sorted out ?

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Starter issue ....

Other than removing, cleaning, and re-installing, which never helped, I never done anything else.

However, it does not hang "engaged" now. For some reason it just quit hanging up. So, I'm good with that.

Hopefully, I'll be able to get the AC going (all new hoses) and head out "again" toward Alaska on Monday. Monday is the close of the window of opportunity as far as I am concerned. If that doesn't work, we'll be falling back to plan B ..... trip out west!