A6 TDI HPFP Swap?

muddge

TDI
2014 Audi A6 3.0 TDI
I've tried some searching on my own but was unable to come up with anything. Has anyone (or know of anyone) that has swapped the CP4 HPFP on the Audi A6 TDI with US engine code CPNB for the CP3?

nayr

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi Q7
nope, not possible.. the 2nd Gen 3L's moved the HPFP to the back of the engine, under the intake manifold.. its driven by the timing chain now and there is no frigging way there is enough room to fit a CP3 in there without a custom intake manifold first.

muddge

TDI
2014 Audi A6 3.0 TDI
Thanks. Hopefully my diesel additive regimen can keep the HPFP from catastrophic failure.

nayr

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi Q7
I'm working on a fix, if the EGR valve is removed and the intake/exhaust blocked off that should free up enough room infront of the HPFP to fit a bypass plate on it.. I got a 1micron filter on the return line already and the EGR tuned away, just need to either modify someone's existing bypass plates or design my own and have someone cut it for me..

about 8mo ago or so I emailed a few of the Duramax shops making bypass plates asking if the'd do a generic one with barbed fittings for us Euro vehicles.. dont got much hope the'll come through but if not I'll just cut up their plate I think.

muddge

TDI
2014 Audi A6 3.0 TDI
What would be the relative ease for installing a setup like that?

nayr

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi Q7
gotta tear the intake manifold off, which is considerable work getting everything outta the way and it off.. then I'm pretty sure gotta pull the whole EGR assembly off to get the valve out.. its got a bunch of coolant running through it and it cant be deleted out completely but the exhaust valve can be taken out to gain a bunch of room around the HPFP..

I'm expecting it to take me a weekend

commedeschatons

TDI
2003 ALH Wagon 5mt, 2016 VW Touareg TDI, 2014 Q5 TDI, 2011 335d Msport, 2009 Q7 TDI
German Diesel motorwerks either has or will have a cp3 kit for gen2 3Ls using bmw cp3 pump. this also includes engine specific egr cooler delete/coolant bypass

when i called in nov they told me it will be shipping in december. I'll call em again tm.

they are asking like 3k for the kit & pump

viper550

TDI
14 JSW 6M, 15 Q5 TDI S-Line
German Diesel motorwerks either has or will have a cp3 kit for gen2 3Ls using bmw cp3 pump. this also includes engine specific egr cooler delete/coolant bypass

when i called in nov they told me it will be shipping in december. I'll call em again tm.

they are asking like 3k for the kit & pump

I'm very interested in this for my Q5. The HPFP was already replaced about 20k mi ago under warranty. Fortunately it just started leaking and didn't fail catastrophically. The tech said that he never seen one fail just by leaking so I was very fortunate with that one considering I was stranded over 900 miles from home for a week waiting for them just to replace the pump. Then a week later I was back at the dealership back home because every fuel connection under the hood was leaking. Audi also covered that or else that would have cost me another $700+ on top of the $8k to replace the pump. Thank goodness AUDI covered it all.
So needless to say I'm very interested in a cp3 swap.

commedeschatons

TDI
2003 ALH Wagon 5mt, 2016 VW Touareg TDI, 2014 Q5 TDI, 2011 335d Msport, 2009 Q7 TDI
You should give them a call.

Called em today to get the quote and payment link sent over for the EGR cooler delete part of the cp3 kit and had a long talk with Ryan today about the kit and other ****.

They don't have it on their website cause it's a secret item that I only found out about by pure chance when cold calling random tdi-related companies asking if they had such a kit when I thought my cp4 was toast

Yes, it will use a bmw r90 pump, waiting on the pricing because he told me and I fotgot. The egr cooler part of it is required for fitment and is a nice thing to have if you are tuned/deleted.

They are asking 1250 for the egr cooler delete which honestly seemed crazy to me until I saw the parts that come with it (friend sent me them). I talked to some people who work with cnc and they guessed the parts cost more than 1k when I asked, not knowing the price or even what it was for. I guess that's a good sign

Those are the pics of the egr kit. 5axis cncd and they look insane.

Haven't seen the cp3 part of the kit yet but will post pics when I get it or if someone I know gets it.

Obviously there is really low demand for this kind of stuff for our cars , but the price for those parts considering the machining cost is fair.

GDM told me the initial reason they developed this kit was for a friend of theirs who was building a 3.0 TDI engine for use in a small properller aircraft.

I guess he didn't want the cp4 popping midair lmao

I actually heard about that guy before I called today while googling. Hes running the engine off a motec ECU.

nayr

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi Q7
oh hell yeah.. I looked into removing the EGR and it was gonna be neigh impossible.. thats a nice kit they developed, it will remove several potential failure points caused by the EGR too.. I already had mine fail and fill the Vee up w/coolant.

I looked into creating a CP4.2 bypass plate for fitting one of the Cummins ones to ours, the EGR was a big problem in the way of even that though.. the best I could come up with was taking the EGR valve off, plugging the turbo/intake and leaving the other 80% of the EGR in place for the cooling.. that would had freed up a little room around the CP4 for some alternative fuel line routing.. but not a lot.

I've still got plenty of settlement money in the bank, taking care of that CP4 would be a relief and set me up for a big turbo upgrade soon after.. I'd love to get my SUV up to ~400 to the wheels so I can hang with the lil hatchbacks again.. Wonder if Malone could get a stage 3 working on this remotely.

Last edited:

commedeschatons

TDI
Wonder if Malone could get a stage 3 working on this remotely.
I think they already have. Theres a few cars running around with the GDM kits already.