A5 Brake/clutch fluid flush

PaxTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI DSG; 2006 Jetta TDI DSG
Mach1 said:
Pax, the manual doesn't contridict itself, there is two different bleeding procedures.
There is a prebleeding for doing the ABS unit.
Then there is a procedure for routine bleeding the wheels.
You need to do the prebleeding procedure to get the pedal firm again. Bleed it exactly like it says.(it even says, if you dont follow this procedure you will have a soft pedal).
Good luck with it..
Ahhhh! Thank you for clearing that up. I ordered the VAG-COM today to get my pedal "firm" again ;-)

Mach1

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
05.5 Jetta 5 spd, 06 Jetta DE DSG, 04 F250 6L, 2000 F250 7.3L
Pax, dont forget to use the proper bleed procedure after running the ABS output test....It does make a difference..Follow the book to the tee..

Henrick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf VI TDI, 77 kW (CAYC)
I just did the brake fluid flush service yesterday. I think it's worth to mention that VCDS is a scam and completely useless for this procedure. I drained the old fluid from the reservoir and filled with the new. Since I was changing the oil at the same time, my engine was sitting without oil and filter during this process. I hooked up VCDS and tried to run output tests. It said it activated ABS pump, etc, but i got NOTHING from clutch or wheel bleeders. Ended up doing it the traditional method: pumping brake pedal and then bleeding.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Of course you got nothing from the clutch. The only thing that is common to the clutch and brake/ABS system is the reservoir on top of the brake master cylinder. It is impossible for the ABS pump to push fluid through the clutch hydraulic circuit.

Don't know why cycling the ABS pump didn't push fluid out of the brake bleeders. I've heard it works for others on this forum, though. Maybe someone will chime in................

Henrick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Anyway, I'm done with manual/traditional method and I'm very happy with it. The pedal feels really hard, at least harder than it was prior that. I used ATE SL.6 fluid.

MacBuckeye

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta
VAGCOM procedure

Can someone help out a new VAGCOM owner with the brake fluid flush process? Can't seem to find them anywhere. I've only owned my VAGCOM for a short while. Only used it to run basic diagnostics.

BTW, I saw on the internet to drain/flush as follows- RR, LR, RF, LF. Farthest wheel 1sts, closest wheel last.

Thanks for all the good info in this thread.

Henrick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I don't think the sequence of bleeding does matter. However, I used the one described in this thread.

Theoretically, you need to run 'Output Tests' to activate the pump. I suspect for that to accomplish you'll need a running engine too.