A4 Jetta - 1st/Rev. how to adjust?

JLKunka

TDI
'99.5 Jetta - parts car, '99.5 Jetta - black, '02 Jetta - silver, '13 Jetta DSG - black
Reverse is hard to find - like one try out of five makes it. I've read posts that say "adjust the shifter linkage", but the only location I see to adjust is the linkage slot on top of the transmission housing. The nut has a factory paint dab which usually indicates "leave me alone". Is this the correct adjustment? Moving the cable back in the slot (toward the firewall) appears that it will "lengthen" the upper cable, forcing the shifter down further into the transmission. I hate to move this until I hear some confirmation.

Thanks in advance!

JLKunka

TDI
'99.5 Jetta - parts car, '99.5 Jetta - black, '02 Jetta - silver, '13 Jetta DSG - black
...did some additional searches - found a procedure...trouble is, my shifter is completely different under the boot (no alignment holes), and there is no locking pin in the tranny case. Did 99.5 Jettas have an older transmission that is different?

Last edited:

JLKunka

TDI
...maybe this means I have the more rugged clutch...

alphaseinor

TDI Innovator, Gone but Not Forgotten
TDI
'03 Jetta TDI 780,000 miles (totaled out), 01 Audi TT 225 Quattro 230,000 Miles (runs great!), 00 Cabreetle Beetle dash, ALH & MK4 harness Swap
You probably have a broken shift carrier... usually under $20 at the dealer.

JLKunka

TDI
Shift carrier is fine.

Judging from pictures of A3 Jetta engine/transmissions, my transmission is like the MK3, but the engine code is ALH.

Bottom line I'm still looking for guidance on shift linkage adjustment.

Canadian_Grizzly

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta TDI
Not sure on the procedure but when mine was a bit of a pain I lubed up all the pivot points on top of the transmission. Been a couple hundred thousand kms since and still works fine. Worth a try.

JLKunka

TDI
You think like I did - lube was the first thing I tried, but the gear selector acts like it can't shove the cable far enough to engage reverse - I just get first gear typically. 180,000 miles, I guess slop develops in the cable ends. I'm inclined to move the stud in the slot a bit toward the firewall - I'll mark it with magic marker before I do so I can go back.

There just doesn't appear to be information about a "home" position for this transmission like the later ones.

JLKunka

TDI
Problem solved.

Moved the upper cable in the slot about 1/16". Reverse now engages cleanly and is a distinctly different feel than 1st gear.

STRANGETDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Audi A3 S-Line Premium Plus Quattro - APR Stage II
JLKunka,

I think I am having a similar issue. Can you explain what you did in a little more detail?

Thanks.

Chris