A4 Intake Manifold burn out cleaning question

sdean7855

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta
Just one question: someone commented that it's a good idea to monitor the temperature while doing this with one of the pistol remote reading non-contact infrared thermometer. Of which I happen to have one. What temperature range should I be looking to stay within, what is a do not exceed? My unit reads up to 320C.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I just hot tank them, or something like Castrol Super Clean. Have not had to do one in so long, still have three precleaned ones sitting here, LOL.

touaregv10tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Beetle TDi,2000 Beetle TDi, 2016 BMW X5 Diesel, 2004 Touareg V10 TDi,2015 Beetle TDi, 2005 Jetta TDi
I think as long as you don't cool it immediately, let it sit to cool on its own, there is no problem doing a burn.
I did mine three weeks ago.

JDSwan87

Black Swamp Thing
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 5 speed Lagoon Blue Metallic(sold); 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon auto
Don't do what I did and melt it... it sure makes some pretty colors once it starts melting!

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
350f is the temp to pull and replace seats and guides in an aluminum head. Did that with a Shovelhead head heated in an oven. I used a torch with a light intermittent stream of compressed air to clean my ALH intake. Just work patiently

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
Do yourself a favor and pay to have it hot-tanked. Cleaning these things is a big pain. Unless you can run a scope down the runners you won't know for sure if you're cleaned out totally: after cleaning with oven cleaner (also did some heating, but that just didn't work well for me) I rattled bolts and coins (dimes work well) in order to help dislodge any lingering crap.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
you can hot tank yourself for about $15-20, less if you have a large bucket on hand. get a lint clothing dryer line cleaning brush, there perfect and long and get in the runners. you can do this yourself for nearly nothing and do a much better version of the "burn out. that being said, you cant go to hot with it, i have done 3 burn outs and its a huge mess but lots of fun. I also once put a pd150 into a BBQ and forgot about it, it got so hot, it melted the BBQ sheet metal because i had the lid down and the burners on, YEA that was dumbdumb

touaregv10tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Beetle TDi,2000 Beetle TDi, 2016 BMW X5 Diesel, 2004 Touareg V10 TDi,2015 Beetle TDi, 2005 Jetta TDi
intake

common mistake people make is to keep the torch in the manifold. You use the torch only to ignite the soot. The air from the compressor accelerates the burn much like if you blow an amber. Once the soot is ignited turn off the torch.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I've only done two intakes, so my experiences are limited. But for me, in retrospect, I'd have been better off handing them over to a local shop to clean. It takes time and it's messy. There's entertainment value for some, but for me I didn't find it entertaining enough to have warranted my time.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
I did mine for the entertainment value��

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I did mine for the entertainment value��
It really can be entertaining!:D I got a little bit of a show, but nothing like I'd seen others having in their posts on YouTube.

Franko6

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
I burn them out because I can have it off and back in place in less than 1/2 hr. There is no 'glow' from hot aluminum. If it gets too hot, the metal just falls out. If you get a 'sweet smell' in the air, STOP! let it cool.

Agreed, getting the torch only to light the soot and blow air to burn it out, but even just the heat from the burning soot can melt an intake.

If you aren't sure of the amount of heat you can apply, go for about 3 minutes, then let it cool down. Don't be in a rush to destruction.