A4 broken in Troy & far from home - Can anyone recommend anyone?

MikeS_18

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, '13 Passat SE, '64 Ford Econoline
Hi Midwesterners from NH,

My son has my 2000 TDI in Troy Michigan and it is down with an oil leak. It was low on oil (light started to blink on and off). He drove a mile home and saw a oil spot (not puddle) on the driveway. He put 3 quarts in and started it up and it poured out approx 1.5 quarts immediately. Turned it off.

1st off, it's not the oil pan. That was replaced a while back and he didn't hit anything.

Called Marty Bergel and he can not take the car. The earliest he could look at it is towards the END of November. When pressed he recommended Munks Motors in Waterford.

To pour that much oil out, I suspected a turbo oil line. The car did not pour oil but dripped oil when the engine was not running.

Munks has not given me a level of confidence. Said they could take diagnose it day 1, finally got it into the garage on day 3.

They charge me for washing the engine to see the leak and have said it is the cam and crank seals. I have to connect with them again tomorrow to ask for the 3rd time if they have confirmed that it is not a turbo feed/return line leak.

Do cam or crank seals fail dramatically and discharge oil by the quart? Timing belt job was done 47,000 miles ago by one of New England's best - Jolly Green Giant.

They have quoted me 7 hours of labor and $450 in parts to effectively do a timing belt job plus new seals. In the quote, it says "clean all bolts , loctite and torque to specifications." I'm hoping that is standard lingo the quote software is using. I'll have to request specifically new bolts. I haven't even had the cam shaft lock and VCDS discussion with them yet.

Marty can not take the car for over a month. I cannot wait weeks to get it repaired. Are there any other choices in that area or within 50 miles that you trust?

If not, I think I have no choice but to ensure they have proper hardware and process and throw the dice. I also have to ensure that they own a guarantee that this is where the leak is. Times like this really really test my interest in these cars.

Thanks for the help guys.

Mike in NH

Last edited:

handweanie

TDI
2012 touareg tdi
i take it you mean troy, MI ?

i would at least call la fontaine vw in dearborn on telegraph just below mich ave. (yes its a dealership.) they just opened and seem to be able to get me right in when i call

had planned on taking the treg to marty but he wasn't interested in working on a touareg in so many words

i haven't had major work done there (la fountain) but the work they've done has been problem free and I've been there a bunch with scheduled maintenance and little glitches. just had 40k service and new tires there last week

the service guy tom koslowski has been pretty good to me.
here's the number
313-996-6000

if you tell him the guy with the grey '12 treg tdi he'll prob know who it is

my two cents. good luck

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
I know it's a bit farther, but did you think of Kirk in Cedar Springs(about 170 miles)? Sounds like that garage you're at is gonna nickel and dime you to death.

r90sKirk

Veteran Member
TDI
All TDI's - No gassers! Luxo-Tourer = 13 Passat (hands down, the nicest car we've ever owned), Most fun = MK4 Golf
Mike,

I'd be happy to take a look at it if you got it up here, but I believe it's going to be cost prohibitive to do so, ya know?

Kirk

MikeS_18

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mike,

I'd be happy to take a look at it if you got it up here, but I believe it's going to be cost prohibitive to do so, ya know?

Kirk
Maybe not. PM on the way. I'd like to talk, not sure I have your number.

-Mike

relumalutan

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI Special Edition
Try this:
John & Holger Service Center
Address: 16521 E 9 Mile Rd, Eastpointe, MI 48021
Phone:(586) 773-5820
Hours:
8:00 am – 5:30 pm

They did replaced my camshaft four months ago. It's an independent shop specialized in VW, BMW and Mercedes-Benz, I'm sure they will be able to help you and they are only 20 miles away from Troy.

MikeS_18

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Thanks. I am neck deep with Munk's now and I think they are working out okay. Charging me two arms and one leg, but...

I'll post up soon what they have found. You won't believe it.