A3 to A3 swap

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
Some people just never learn, do they?:rolleyes: Here I go again.

I had use of an A3 TDI while I was doing the B4 swap and liked the A3 a lot. I had purchased an A3 TDI for myself a year ago when I decided to sell the B4, but once my wife took over the B4, I ceased considering selling it. I sold my A3 instead and bought the B5.5V.
An offer recently came in to buy the B4 that She and I each decided should not be passed up and we agreed to sell the B4. She took over the B5.5 and I started looking.
b.t.w.:We both agree the B4 is a better car than the B5.5, but money talks.

So naturally this time it's A3s for me. I picked up the 1995 German built 2.0 gasser 2 door GLX (leather, power windows) recipient on Saturday and drove it home. I picked up the rusty, salvage titled, four door, GL trim (blown out cloth seats, crank windows), 1997 Mexican TDI donor on Sunday, drove it home and parked it.

There'll be a few more steps involved with this A3 swap than was needed with the B4s due to transmission differences and the need to swap shifters and pedal sets, but the knowledge gained from the B4 swap has given me confidence in another satisfactory outcome.

Last edited:

mrchill

TDIClub Enthusiast, Super Secret Diesel Ninja Vend
MASS! home of THE WORLD SERIES CHAMPION RED SOX! x
TDI
96 B4v red \ 98 Mk3 green\98 Mk3 Jetta black\ 99 Mk4 Jetta green x2\ 99 Mk4 Golf silver x2\ 99 Mk4 Jetta black\ 97 B4 sedan green\04 JSW gold\03 JSW silver
Jon....youre a dangerous man!!. I have full confidence that this will be yet another sano swap! And as it is lighter....you shoul do better with the mileage competitions!

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
Its fairly straight forward. I don't have any doubt that you will be able to do this and make it look easy :)

Pics post pics, we all love them :)

tdibeliever

Veteran Member
TDI
None currently- just pieces
The Go pedal is bolt on. I'm doing this same swap right now in Rehoboth,MA. The Jetta was a '98 base model. The GTI is a '96 semi spiffed up car. With the hotrod AHU I've built and the Peloquin'd trans I expect that car to be a lot of fun.

Lug_Nut

TDI
Yeah, but my 2 door 2.0 has pendulum motor mounts at both ends of the engine / gearbox, as well as at least 2 of the traditional three mounts on the subframe. I can't yet confirm, but I suspect that the third subframe mount also exists.
It also has a cable clutch and a linkage shift. I expect that I'll find it easier to swap the entire pedal cluster over from the Jetta than to swap just the clutch pedal and TPS.

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
The mounts are a direct swap, you won't even need to swap the k-frames.

T_D_I_POWER

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 VW PASSAT GLS TDI '06 Audi A4 q Avant 6-Spd Sport Pkg
12MPGHWY said:
I didn't know they came in 2 door, is that a golf or a jetta
The A3 shared w/ Golf/Jetta platform. They don't come in 2-dr but 3-dr.,
and only availbale in Europe. I personally like the 5-dr Avant style better than the 3-dr hatcback version. I believe the A3 should be coming with the CRTDI engine in 2010

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
You sure? I thought all Ventos were 4 doors.

One other difference you will encounter will be the airbag wiring, the 1998 car will have a different connector for the airbag warning light (which is in the cluster of the TDI not on the little filler piece like the 95).

Personally I would remove the airbag system from teh 1998 car and install it in the 1995 one, as the 1998 has de-powered airbags.

-J

94x

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2002 CTD w/12 valve, 2003 GTI w/ALH
I saw your ex-B4 at Keith's shop last Thursday getting some goodies before retiring to Florida. It is sad to see them go after all that work...

A3 wiring is more difficult. All of the underhood wiring (except for the ABS) go into one mega harness through the firewall. I believe the A3 TDI harness does not have the necessary wiring to run the MFA. For sure, the oil temp wire is missing. There are 2 wires less (A3 vs B4) that run between computer and fuse block. Last week I cut down a 1998 A3 harness to use in a 1997 B4 GLX/TDI project (conversion #10), I added an oil temp wire and 2 floating wires between the ecu and fuse block before taping the harness back together. I'll know in a week or two if this wiring is needed to run the MFA.

If you run into any problems or questions just ask.

Lug_Nut

TDI
It was my wife's idea to not pass up the sum offered for the B4V. No remorse, no regrets about selling.

I won't be installing the MFA in the A3 recipient as it it not on the donor A3.
I'm intending to take the A3 donor's entire engine bay wiring harness and installing it in the recipient. I was surprised to find that the engine bay harness can be nearly completely removed while the engine is still in place.

I got the TDI home on Sunday noon, and save for separating the exhaust, the TDI driveline is ready to come out tonight.

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Its not difficult to add the oil temp sensor and the outside air temp sensor for the MFA. The oil temp wiring is already present and the outside temp sensor is only 2 wires.

k_harley

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI, 2005 Audi S4, 1997 Audi A4 Race car, 2004 Passat TDI 6MT 4motion
Hey there, Im liking your B4 more and more with the upgrades! It'll be sad to see it go, its a nice car.

That blue jetta glx on the lift was a tdi conversion that you saw, that guy there at the time Mike, may have been telling you about it, and its interesting past. :rolleyes:

As for the whole 2 door thing....Im confused, this is a '95 2 door jetta? Is it a custom job? My friend had one of the 6 or so mk3 jetta coupes, really nice, but not worth the work.

Picture?

As for the harness, ya, way more stuff packed into one, not fun.
Pedal cluster, thats nothing compared to swapping an auto to manual. Just ditch the cable and stick the master cyl in the hole. Swapping the shifter is only about a 30 minute affair, not bad.

Now just if Mike would sell me one of his mk3 throttle pot. brackets.....they are discontinued in this county. No passat ones turned up so far.:mad:

Good luck, and keep us posted.

Lug_Nut

TDI
Keith, You've got one of these 2 door A3s already. I figured you'd be the first to catch on.

I'll show you mine if you show me the B4V with the requested changes the new owner had you put on.....

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
did the factory actually make a 2 door jetta in the mk3 body style? first I have heard of that.

I would LOVE to see a photo or 20...

k_harley

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI, 2005 Audi S4, 1997 Audi A4 Race car, 2004 Passat TDI 6MT 4motion
Thanks Mike, Ill definetly take you up on the offer. Its the ONLY missing peice for that blue glx before I can drive it!

Jon, Ill get some pics later today maybe so I can send them to JB as well. I put 16" Borbet type E's on it, looks nice!

So you got a Golf "Sport" I guess. It really is a 2.0 gti. Only difference was the name change in 96, and obvious updates. Does yours have the plaid seats? Those are awsome! Ive seen people do a plaid headliner to match it.

BTW, I know someone selling a 95 jetta glx 2 door coupe, rear panels from a gti. Forest green, nice shape, probably in the neighborhood of $6-7k.

Last edited:

Lug_Nut

TDI
OK, no more guesses.
The intended recipient is a '95 A3 Cabrio. Dark (Sequoia?) green, Sahara beige leather, tan top. Front fenders are rotted out where the mud flaps were, and that's why I don't like mud flaps. Otherwise it is amazingly devoid of the tin worm infestation that afflicts so many others. 119k miles, when the current odometer is added to the dead and replaced odometer number.
Between this car and the donor I'm presently into the project for $3400.

k_harley

TDI
Oh duh.....that makes sense now. I totally missed that one!

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
He threw me for a loop too... The only German made Mk3s except for the Cabrios are a very few 1994 GLX VR6 Jettas.

-J

Jetter_Sprinta

Veteran Member - TDIClub Contributor
TDI
2 Peeps sharing 1 UseYerName//an array of cars
Nice! Got bit by the convertible bug, huh? :) I know how you feel...sortof! I have wanted to do this swap since my 78 Rabbit met the first gen Cabriolet. My old mechanic Floyd thought I was out of my mind.

Now the question---are the seats heated?

Lug_Nut

TDI
No seat heater switches in the dash, so I suspect not. Unlike the Audi's.:D

Mrs. has already put me on notice that she'll be taking it whenever she isn't taking the dogs and needs the B5.5V. And that she will have only small dogs after the Weim has gone so that she can take the Cabby more often.

Last edited:

Jetter_Sprinta

Veteran Member - TDIClub Contributor
TDI
2 Peeps sharing 1 UseYerName//an array of cars
Smart woman with good taste that Bonnie!

And sorry for the project if babysitting the Audis had anything to do with it!

Lug_Nut

TDI
Picture time!
Today, Bonjonbart (Mrs. Lug_Nut) posing with the intended recipient.
She says she has dibs on it.:(

Last Sunday, about 4: pm, about 2 hours into deconstruction of the donor.

So far all the work, about 12 hours, 4 Sunday, 4 during evenings after work, and another 3 this morning has been on the 98 Jetta getting it torn down to this point.
Saturday 13th 10: am

Since this picture I've pulled the clutch master and slave, fuse/relay block and engine wiring, shifter box and cables.

Cost increased by another $68 for a sawz-all purchase. She said go ahead to a purchase of one for my own rather than renting yet again.
Cost invested: $3468
Time invested: 16 hrs.

Last edited:

Lug_Nut

TDI
Another few hours this afternoon spent on the Jetta retrieving the throttle pot and motor mount bases. Then I hooked up the Bolens and towed it fully onto the driveway to allow the grass to revive.
Then it was on to the Cabrio. I have the exhaust, the shift linkages, transaxle flanges and the motor mounts yet to disconnect, but I anticipate having this engine out in another day or two.

During the intermittant rain showers this afternoon I ducked inside and began stripping the interior in preparation for the TDI wiring and cluster.

Bought a used A3 Bentley in the morning. Cost invested: $3503
Time invested: 21 hours

Lug_Nut

TDI
Changing that hadn't crossed my mind, and it would be more work, so... Yes, I was planning on keeping it.
I may put in the black glove box, and black driver's side dash lower panel from the Jetta, but that can wait.