A3 OC Basic Tutorial

fahrenheit351

TDI
2013 Passat SE TDI
Did my 10k oil change and check up today. While I was at it I snapped some photos and created an album in Photobucket.

This is not meant to be a step by step but more of a very basic walk through in case you are wondering what it takes (tools, parts etc). I am concluding that if you are thinking about doing an oil change on your A3 you have done OC's before on other vehicles, know basic safety procedures (correct use of jacks, blocks, etc), and proper remove and replace procedures. Therefore I left all that out. The only info included is that specific to the A3-what makes this different. Some of the pictures have detailed commentaries.

http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/dd273/fahrenheit351/A3/A3%20OC%20Tutorial/

Peace

Miles

Last edited:

2ndCityA3

TDI
2010 Audi A3 TDI
Nice job with photos and documenting this! I'll take my car in for the oil change but it's good to know what's all involved.

fahrenheit351

TDI
2013 Passat SE TDI
corrections

To remove the splash pan I gave the wrong torx recommendations. got my tools mixed up. Captions on the tutorial have been changed and are now correct. Thanks Chittychittybangbang for the catch.

Front single screw is a Torx T15
Side eight screws (4 per side) are T20
Back three are T30

Peace

fahrenheit351

TDI
2013 Passat SE TDI
MethylEster said:
Can you not do this using a Pella Extracter from the top and not have to take off the splash pan ???
I'm sure you could. Maybe I'm old school but as I don't know the baffling inside the oil pan I am hesitant to think you will get all the oil out from the top. I trust Audi/VW to put the drain plug in an area where it would facilitate the removal of the oil. Since I have the tools and the time I drop the splash guard and pull the plug. I don't think going in from the top would save me all that much.

Peace

Miles

T_D_I_POWER

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 VW PASSAT GLS TDI '06 Audi A4 q Avant 6-Spd Sport Pkg
+1 I'm with you on this one. One of the advantages of bottom drain, is that you can drain the oil while the oil is hot, and thus it flushes out all of the foreign mat'ls with it.

Don't forget to do this next time, good for the valvetrain upon first start up after an OC, so there's no oil starvation.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=247340

P.S. Good pictures & documentation

Last edited:

fahrenheit351

TDI
2013 Passat SE TDI
good tip!

I'll make sure to do that in a couple months when I do the 20k service....:eek:

......I'll add pics then also.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
MethylEster said:
Can you not do this using a Pella Extracter from the top and not have to take off the splash pan ???
I'm old school as well.

Not taking off the splash pan is a bad idea. Something that is suppose to be done during a 10K mile service is to do a visual inspection of the underside of the engine/trans-axle/suspension. A Pella allows you to take shortcuts you really shouldn't take.................