A3 brake pads

Superlite

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 3 GT-TDI 110, 1996, Mystic Blue
Hello all,

I have just started venturing in brake pad shopping for my 1996 Golf A3 (110Hp).
I have never realized it was such a hassle to find the proper pads for the car.
All the stores I have visited consulted at least three times the catalogues, with a hesitant look from the vendors I was handed Passat VR6 brakes, standard Golf 3 brakes, etc...
They look up Golf 3 tdi in the book and rush behind the counter to get "some" pads...

I have vented disk brakes up front (256*20).
Why is it so hard to find pads...
If someone has a reference or a part number, brand name, etc...

colucci

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 1998 Green
The A3 TDI takes the same brake pads as the 2.0 l Golfs and Jettas. Both have 10.1" from rotors and drums in the rear. Not knowing where you're from here are some internet sites that sell aftermarket brake pads.

www.parts4vws.com
http://www.germanautoparts.com

The Ferodo pads are very good, but kind of dusty. The Mintex RedBox pads have less dust but don't work very well. I've used both and am sticking with Ferodo.

Good luck.

D'nardo

Superlite

Veteran Member
TDI
Colucci,

I'm from Belgium and the car I own (GT-TDI 110HP) has discs all round. The rears are relatively easy to find.

After three different stores still no luck.

Ferodo catalogs only lists pads for the Golf 3 GT-TDI 90Bhp amongst other Golf models, I don't know if I could fit those, anyway the store didn't have any left...

I have Valeo (?) pads for the Golf 3 and when I tried to put them on, the caliper wouldn't close.
Pads + vented disc are too thick.

I suppose that the pads for the vented discs are thinner maybe.

I checked the websites but had no luck and anyway I need the pads SOON otherwise I'm going to end up in wall.
The previous owner had fitted ATE pads, they are dusty as he... I have the 14 inch "Orlandos" on and they just turn Anthracite in no time!
What about Pagid, heard anything good about them?

A friend's friend is going to source some pads somewhere, he works in the auto parts business, but then again...

Thanx for the info.

[ December 16, 2002, 09:49: Message edited by: Superlite ]

colucci

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 1998 Green
If you have 14" wheels you have the 10.1" rotors (256 mm). 14" wheels won't fit on larger rotors. I am as usual jealous of you Europeans - not so much for your bacteria (I mean culture
) but for your ability to get great VW combinations. I wan't rear disc brakes!!!!

I've heard very good things about Pagid. As far as the dust goes, I think you'll have to live with it. Do you want clean wheels, or do you want to stop? You can't have both

D'nardo

Superlite

Veteran Member
TDI
Yeah, 256 I'm sure about that. Just have to get the width sorted!

As far as the wheels go, I'm planning fitting 15inch Corrado steelies and quit worrying about rims... That is if I can sell my OZ F1 cup wheels by springtime, or else I'll be sporting them instead... *grin grin*
Rear pads are another story, I'm really going to have a hard time finding the piston retractor tool for vw/audi rear brakes.