A3 8P BMN Cold Start Problem Finally Fixed

seancook1983

TDI
a3 tdi 170 bmn
so I have owned my A3 8P PD 170 BMN for only a year and since owning the car it has always been a pain in the back side to start it that car been left over night. I spent 8 months chasing the problem and replacing parts with no success, I replace the Lift pump, the HP fuel pump, fuel filter, glow plugs, battery, fuel lines, coolant temp sensor & more but nothing fixed it. So I had a look at the service history I got with the car and noticed the injectors had been replace on a recall back in 2012 and thought just what if they never got every bit of air out of the fuel system after replacing the the injector. So I fired up VCDS and Run a manual Lift pump run, it runs the lift pump and pressures the fuel system for 30 seconds, I done this 6 times in total and then left the car for 2 days. Went outside after 2 days with not much hope as it was 3 degrees temp turned the key and fired instantly, wasn't sure if it was luck so left again for a few days and again started instantly and has done ever since. So my thought is that there has been some sort of air lock in the fuel system since the injector recall and its been causing fuel pressure to drop over night making it a pain to start.

BlueMalch

TDI
Audi A3 170 BKD
so I have owned my A3 8P PD 170 BMN for only a year and since owning the car it has always been a pain in the back side to start it that car been left over night. I spent 8 months chasing the problem and replacing parts with no success, I replace the Lift pump, the HP fuel pump, fuel filter, glow plugs, battery, fuel lines, coolant temp sensor & more but nothing fixed it. So I had a look at the service history I got with the car and noticed the injectors had been replace on a recall back in 2012 and thought just what if they never got every bit of air out of the fuel system after replacing the the injector. So I fired up VCDS and Run a manual Lift pump run, it runs the lift pump and pressures the fuel system for 30 seconds, I done this 6 times in total and then left the car for 2 days. Went outside after 2 days with not much hope as it was 3 degrees temp turned the key and fired instantly, wasn't sure if it was luck so left again for a few days and again started instantly and has done ever since. So my thought is that there has been some sort of air lock in the fuel system since the injector recall and its been causing fuel pressure to drop over night making it a pain to start.
Hi Sean I have the exact same issue recall done in 2012 car has 51k on the clock not moved much since the recall so I have a feeling mine could be similar, how's the car now? Do you have VCDS

seancook1983

TDI
a3 tdi 170 bmn
Hi Sean I have the exact same issue recall done in 2012 car has 51k on the clock not moved much since the recall so I have a feeling mine could be similar, how's the car now? Do you have VCDS
Yes buddy the car is starting and running perfect still starts first time every morning now, It might not be the issue that you have but well worth a try for the sake of 10 minutes.

BlueMalch

TDI
Audi A3 170 BKD
Yes buddy the car is starting and running perfect still starts first time every morning now, It might not be the issue that you have but well worth a try for the sake of 10 minutes.
Brilliant I'll give this a shot before injector seals, I could just do with finding someone with VCDS in the West Yorkshire area to try this