A "What's it Worth" Thread

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Actually, the guy I saw collected up all the cash he could leverage, $181,000 and bought Dogo when it was $0.04. I saw the interview. It didn't take long to become a millionaire.
Since we are off-topic, has anybody else forgotten to remove the plug from their new garbage disposal where the dishwasher drain goes into? Do I need to explain why I asked this question? It's 40 years at least since installed one, and I wondered why all of the sudden the dishwasher wasn't pumping... My wife said there must be a plug, and light turned on in my head. Duh!
My problem was that the dishwasher line got twisted and I couldn't see it. Cost me $85 to have someone come out and pull the line straight. Not really sure when it happened since it's been a few years since I replaced both the dw and disposal.

I have a friend that got in early on the crypto coin. He made quite a bit of money and reinvested in other things. He also went out and bought himself a brand new vette for cash. That was his bucket list event.

Since the JSW will be 12 years old this spring, I think you can guess how we feel about it. The truck is coming up to 4 years but may not be around as long. We're still trying to determine how we want to tour the country in retirement. The truck may end up either being too big to tow behind an selfcontained, or too small to tow the size of trailer we want.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
My gut feeling is the elevated values may last for up to a year, followed by a fairly precipitous decline over the next several.

petee_c

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Golf TDI, was 06 Jetta TDI, 15 q7 tdi, was 11 Q7 TDI
I just bought a 2015 Highline TDI (black - manual) with 55K miles on it for $18.2K cdn.... more than I wanted to pay, and it had a couple carfax incidents on it... I was looking for a TDI Comfortline or higher, and the markets pretty thin for manual TDI options...... it's also crazy...

It was to replace a 2015 TDI Comfortline (white - manual) which the insurance gave me $14K for...

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
RIP-2010 Jetta 6spd 2014 Touareg Execline
WOW... that's steep.... I guess it only cost you 4.2k for the upgrade but I would've had a hard time paying that .......
How much fix warranty is left on it?

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
I was perusing all of Carvana's TDI offerings on craigslist yesterday when I saw a '15 silver GSW SE pop up for $26,990 - clicked on it and it said only 2890 miles:D:D:D

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
What a deal! I think that's only about 10k off the sticker for a 7 year old car.

giuseppe_b

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SportWagen SE 6MT
Yep, it is pretty crazy how much prices have risen, that 26k is more or equal to what it would have sold for as a new stop-sale TDI in 2017. But that is a good price in this year with mileage low like that.

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The stop sales also had the $5k rebate off top and 0% financing. The SE should've been around $30k new, my S was around $27k. If I didn't have to roll over negative equity from the '16 Jetta it'd be paid off right now :mad: :mad: ....

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Factor in those who took VW buy back money (20K for our '12 Passat that was already paid off) and bought a NOS 2015 (35K sticker - 8.5K for lease) we were only out around $6.5K in 2017, that value has a street value is hanging around 16-18K.

bigsexyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'98 NB, '04 Jetta
This thread got way too far into current used car prices, and way too far away from stop letting wives ruin your life talk.

whizznbyu

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen 6 speed manual. B5 died at 302k miles.
$43,000 with under 200 or so miles. 6 speed manual, Incredible.

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
My latest offer from Carvana has me seriously considering letting the '15 go. $14,869 w/80k miles. I'm starting to look at Tacomas. Need to find out from VW if they'll cover water pump, I'd rather not use my Allstate extended warranty as I can get some money back if I do get rid of it....

prsa01

Veteran Member
TDI
14 jsw 6m, 96 B4v, miss my a4 :(
Has anyone actually sold to Carvana or has everyone done better with a private sale? An surprises or issues going w/Carvana?

Ted Hurst

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW
Factor in those who took VW buy back money (20K for our '12 Passat that was already paid off) and bought a NOS 2015 (35K sticker - 8.5K for lease) we were only out around $6.5K in 2017, that value has a street value is hanging around 16-18K.
We took VW’s buyback of $20k on our 2012 JSW MT with 80k miles. Turned around and paid $20k for a new stop sale 2015 JSW after the lease incentive in 2017. With the way prices are I could sell it now for what I paid in 2017. If I sold today it would be like erasing a decade of depreciation. The problem is I’d have to pay an inflated price for a new vehicle.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
The dealer that sold us the GSW called and offered me $19K for it. I told him to call me back when VW was selling new TDIs. He had a good laugh...

giuseppe_b

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SportWagen SE 6MT
I've been thinking the same things of late. But Ted said, I would have to pay a higher price for another vehicle, or a new vehicle if I can find one. But there just isn't anything that compares to the GSW in my opinion, unless I can find, say, a CRV Hybrid which probably won't happen for an affordable price. I keep thinking, even just around town, with very little highway driving these days, it's still so wonderful to drive.
SE seats are **** and the infotainment is annoying, but it's cheaper to keep her, as some say.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
We had a CR-V and found that the JSW held about the same amount of stuff behind the rear seats. The advantage to the CR-V was that the opening is higher so bulkier things can fit better, such as a flat screen TV. My wife traded the CR-V in for her 11 Golf. VW bought that one back because I couldn't turn down the deal.