A "What's it Worth" Thread

ritsco

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 TDI GSW SEL and 2006 Golf TDI GLS
OK, I am retiring at the end of this year. My wife said we can't keep 3 cars, so one has got to go. Bottom line is that she loves her SUV and she isn't budging. I love my 1984 M1009 Diesel Blazer and I am not budging. I don't feel like sleeping on the couch and she did make some other great points, so the GSW will be leaving.

She is a 2015 GSW TDI, automatic SEL with the lighting package. Just rolled over 93,000 (dealer purchased with 25,000 on her in 2018). Pano roof with zero water issues and all maintenance is up to date (records come with the car and she just had an oil change and trans service). She'll need tires in the spring (225/40 18"), but she comes with a set of mounted snows (235/45 17) in great shape. She also come with new carpet mats (monster mats oil the car) an a few other bits and pieces. A few small marks on the paint here and there, but no dents and the headlight have been covered (Laminx) since I bought her . Everything works as designed and Phase 1 was done, but not Phase 2....yet (holding out as long as possible).

I am looking for a ballpark on what she may sell for. Not in a hurry, but I am trying to plan some things out for the next month or so. Dealer was interested in the car during my service last week, but I brushed them off...for now. they had zero cars available.

Any ballpark ideas would be greatly appreciated.

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat CVCA; 2015 GSW CRUA; 2012 wagon CJAA; 2004 wagon BEW
Ask the dealer for their offer, that would be an easy data point. Also online services like Carvana could be easy data points.
Car prices are locale dependent, so you need data points around you. No idea of prices as of late, but I had to travel to find both my 2015, most likely because I wanted manual transmission.

Got my GSW with about 100k for around $10k a couple of years ago or so. My Passat SE with about 80k was about $11k if I recall correctly.

Last edited:

ritsco

Veteran Member
TDI
VW dealer said I could be looking at $13,000, maybe more. A private dealer floated a slightly higher number, so that made me ask the question. It will be a little more than a month or so before I am ready to let her go, but I don't want to put her up for to much $$ and conversely, to little $$.

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
Sounds like your not really asking. The wife seems to have made the call

Two guys walk into a bar
One guy says "hey I just lost 150 pounds of ugly fat"
The other answers "how's ya do that?"
Guy one answers "I made her walk home"

Keep all 3

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
IMO any one here will prob undercut what carvana would want to give you, just because used car prices are crazy stupid right now.

I'd say hold onto the car for another month or so let gas hit $4 then you might be able to squeeze out another 1k out of carvana.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
I'd take the $13-14k and run. The used car market isn't going to stay this hot for all that much longer, imo.

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
RIP-2010 Jetta 6spd 2014 Touareg Execline
It's worth what someone who is interested in it is willing to pay for it.
Market, condition, location, potential buyer options\knowledge\desperation are just some of the factors.......
It's currently "a seller's market" so unload it and run before you end up kicking yourself.

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
My local dealer, and the dealer I bought from in 2017 keep asking if I want to sell mine. I do not, haha.

ritsco

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks for all the input.

Well, we only have three cars and we will be going down to two. I can't argue with that, as we have a place overseas and have a car there too. Lots of things to do, and keeping three cars here in the states (parked half of the time) isn't one of them.

As for used car prices, they won't be coming down anytime soon. They are up at least 25% and are expected to increase into the second quarter of next year. Demand for a new car is really high and since they are in short supply (my VW's dealers around here don't have any), clean, well maintained used cars are trading for a premium. I don't want to sell the GSW, as out of the 4 VW diesels I have owned, this is the best by far. But in these uncertain times, the best move is to down size a bit and enjoy the things we have, while we can.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
let us know what you get for it. I'd cross shop all the online car resellers, with instant quotes before stepping foot in a dealer.

If anything it seems like if you wait a few more weeks or month it won't hurt the value.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
There are plenty of investments that will appreciate a heck of a lot faster than your used car value. If it will make the wife happy, sell it soon and think about throwing some of the proceeds into the stock market.

JWamp

TDI
2000 Golf
Sounds like your not really asking. The wife seems to have made the call

Two guys walk into a bar
One guy says "hey I just lost 150 pounds of ugly fat"
The other answers "how's ya do that?"
Guy one answers "I made her walk home"

Keep all 3
hahahahahah savage

r90sKirk

Veteran Member
TDI
All TDI's - No gassers! Luxo-Tourer = 13 Passat (hands down, the nicest car we've ever owned), Most fun = MK4 Golf
RITSCO,

check your private messages, please

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
There are plenty of investments that will appreciate a heck of a lot faster than your used car value. If it will make the wife happy, sell it soon and think about throwing some of the proceeds into the stock market.
Tell that to the guy who dumped all his investments into mortgage backed securities in 2007. I mean they are federally insured, so what could go wrong?

lol

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
For every guy who did that there are three who dumped it all into Apple in 2004, or Amazon in 2010, or Google etc., etc. And 50 that invested in a S&P 500 index.

Last edited:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I bought my apple in 2001 when OSX went live.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
...at a split-adjusted price of ~$0.33/share; currently at $152.... roughly 460x more.
(well-played, sir!)

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Not bad at all. Anybody here buy Shiba Inu crypto last year? Wish I had.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Nice. I just bought a little this morning after reading a headline about some guy that turned $1000 into something like a billion $ in the last year.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I was told that's fake.
Ah, I admit my due diligence wasn't particularly thorough- didn't even read the article, lol.
Definitely speculative. Probably a bubble. But no worse than lotto tickets, imo.

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
Actually, the guy I saw collected up all the cash he could leverage, $181,000 and bought Dogo when it was $0.04. I saw the interview. It didn't take long to become a millionaire.
Since we are off-topic, has anybody else forgotten to remove the plug from their new garbage disposal where the dishwasher drain goes into? Do I need to explain why I asked this question? It's 40 years at least since installed one, and I wondered why all of the sudden the dishwasher wasn't pumping... My wife said there must be a plug, and light turned on in my head. Duh!

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
we have chickens, that's our garbage disposal.

Ah the life of owning a septic system. Even if we were on city sewer, never really saw the benefit/need of a disposal.

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
Back onto topic somewhat.... my Carvana offer increased another $600 or so since last offer to $14,066.... just to think, last year when I was plugging my info into one of those sites it didn't even give me an offer because it was an S trim GSW( and about 15k less miles);););)

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I expect used car values are going to fall off a cliff over the next several years. This is a golden opportunity to take advantage of high valuations, imo.

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
RIP-2010 Jetta 6spd 2014 Touareg Execline
Perfect time for all you "collectors" out there with 12 vehicles in your fleet and a nagging partner..... just sayin....

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I expect used car values are going to fall off a cliff over the next several years. This is a golden opportunity to take advantage of high valuations, imo.
IMO until the dealership lots are flooded with new cars and manufactures are tossing 2-8K off MSRP demand will still stay high. due to lack of supply.

I'm sure those people who replace their cars every 5-10 years are sitting on the sidelines not digging into their pockets paying above MSRP, my guess is the people who replace every 2 years are those who don't care about prices and just roll over the negative equity into that 96 month loan.

Our rides are coming up on 5 years ownership f, we were thinking of changing one out at 5-6 years, but if this market continues we'll gladly push them to 8-10 years.