A TDI-ous, dragged-out thread for 2 guys in a generally pointless race to 300k miles

Who will win this race to 300,000 miles on their odometer?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BeetleGo

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
5-door, 5-speed Golf GLS replaced BeetleGo.
Well Tom, I think you just showed your hand! :D

TomJD

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI GLS, 2015 Golf TDI
I have some secrets up my sleve. They are legal and could give me an edge if needed. Remember that I am doing this in a car that is 11 years older than Dozens. I will retire her when this is over. Park her in the garage and maybe get a paint job for when I take it out on weekends.

BeetleGo

TDI
Tom, have you started the savings for your next car? I always tell people to start saving now. Basically continue paying whatever you were (or less, but SOMETHING!) into a Christmas acct at the bank. When it's time to buy, whatever you've saved up sure makes the purchase easier! :)

JDSwan87

Black Swamp Thing
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 5 speed Lagoon Blue Metallic(sold); 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon auto
Who's going to be the first to jack up there car like Ferris Bueller and put it into gear for miles? Lol!!:D

jhinsc

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium
I voted for Dozenspeed, only because the taxi almost always wins the race for mileage! But I guess we'll see.....

There's a guy on the Prius forums that has taken his vehicle over 300k miles over a few short years, but he's not a taxi driver. I think he's a medical courier, so he's always on the road, sometimes racking up 800 mile in a day! That's a lot of seat time!

TomJD

Veteran Member
TDI
Combined, Dozen and I have officially covered over half a million miles as of recently.

TomJD

Veteran Member
TDI
Tom, have you started the savings for your next car? I always tell people to start saving now. Basically continue paying whatever you were (or less, but SOMETHING!) into a Christmas acct at the bank. When it's time to buy, whatever you've saved up sure makes the purchase easier! :)
Ironic, as I did just that. No real plans on buying new. I'll probably upgrade to the next gen. Though enough time with Dozen and I might end up in a MK6. My company also has a deal with Volkswagen. We buy hundreds of cars a year for our sales force, so we have an in with pretty much all the companies. I can get them at just above cost. Which is nice...my boss bought a GTI per my suggestion.

TomJD

Veteran Member
TDI
Met a guy last night with 344k on his 1996 Camry (v6 auto). I became instantly jealous.

BeetleGo

TDI
Just for the record, that generation Toyota Camery was closer to a Lexus Camery. They dumbed it down considerably in the Camery's that followed it. Little things like using real screws vs. "punch and stick" for everything under the hood.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Actually, just for the record, that generation Camry was really a rebadged Toyota Scepter. And the Lexus ES is a rebadged Toyota Windom. ;)

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Tom's Jetta is here today getting a suspension refresh/upgrade and an 11mm pump install.... gotta get it done quickly so he can get back in the race! :D

Dozenspeed

Top Post Dawg
I'm about to post update #4. But before I do, here's the spoiler. Things have turned quite bleak for my chances. :eek: I'll just admit I have been lazy, maybe try to justify low miles with slow business and spending more time fussing over my car's appearence than driving it. :rolleyes: Also, my momentum has experienced some deflation due to one of Tom's little "secrets" (Weak human trait, I know)

But I'm going to whine....er tell you about it now! In previous reports, the ratio has been essentially 2 miles to 1, right? Well, it turns out our fiend I mean friend decided the first week of the year, right after the last update, that rather than fly to Arizona for a wedding obligation, he would make the 3400 mile roundtrip trek in his car! So 7 days into 2015 and I'm instantly 5500 miles behind target. :rolleyes: There. You have my "racing driver excuses." :p

Go ahead, place your votes for Tom now. :rolleyes: Sorry to the early voters for me should I lose. There will not be another update before the poll closes in 2 months.

And now, the astounding lead Tom is pulling....

Dozenspeed

Top Post Dawg
Update #4

Previous Update:

TomJD - 265,6XX - 34.4 points remain

Dozenspeed - 228,000 - 72.0 points remain

Gap: 37.6 points (-5.8)

Ratio to tie (TomJD/Dozenspeed): 1:2.09 (+0.05)

Current Update:

TomJD - 281,597 - 18.4 points remain

Dozenspeed - 251,677 - 48.4 points remain

Gap: 30.0 points (-7.6)

Ratio to tie (TomJD/Dozenspeed): 1:2.63 (+0.54)

Next update planned in ???

TomJD

Veteran Member
TDI
Previous Update:
TomJD - 265,6XX - 34.4 points remain
Dozenspeed - 228,000 - 72.0 points remain
Gap: 37.6 points (-5.8)
Ratio to tie (TomJD/Dozenspeed): 1:2.09 (+0.05)
Current Update:
TomJD - 281,597 - 18.4 points remain
Dozenspeed - 251,677 - 48.4 points remain
Gap: 30.0 points (-7.6)
Ratio to tie (TomJD/Dozenspeed): 1:2.63 (+0.54)
Next update planned in ???
The real question is how you got my Odometer reading...I didn't give it to you.

TomJD

Veteran Member
TDI
Tom's Jetta is here today getting a suspension refresh/upgrade and an 11mm pump install.... gotta get it done quickly so he can get back in the race! :D
Until my desired replacement parts become obsolete... :cool:

TomJD

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm about to post update #4. But before I do, here's the spoiler. Things have turned quite bleak for my chances. :eek: I'll just admit I have been lazy, maybe try to justify low miles with slow business and spending more time fussing over my car's appearence than driving it. :rolleyes: Also, my momentum has experienced some deflation due to one of Tom's little "secrets" (Weak human trait, I know)

But I'm going to whine....er tell you about it now! In previous reports, the ratio has been essentially 2 miles to 1, right? Well, it turns out our fiend I mean friend decided the first week of the year, right after the last update, that rather than fly to Arizona for a wedding obligation, he would make the 3400 mile roundtrip trek in his car! So 7 days into 2015 and I'm instantly 5500 miles behind target. :rolleyes: There. You have my "racing driver excuses." :p

Go ahead, place your votes for Tom now. :rolleyes: Sorry to the early voters for me should I lose. There will not be another update before the poll closes in 2 months.

And now, the astounding lead Tom is pulling....

The caveat to this is my trip occurred early in our race, so Dozen still has had 6 months to catch up. ;)

Lucky for him, I have to spend 8.5 hours behind a desk giving me only 15.5 hours of driving time during the week to throw on miles vs. his 24.

BeetleGo

TDI
How do I change my vote? I think Dozen has...the hutzba(sp?) to pull this off.

GOoooo Dozenspeed!

TomJD

Veteran Member
TDI
I think Dozen will win. Driving 18.5k miles is not an easy task with my schedule. Plus from a cost perspective, this is will cost me more than any repair I've ever done to the vehicle. At least Dozen gets paid for a portion of his miles.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
I think Dozen will win. Driving 18.5k miles is not an easy task with my schedule. Plus from a cost perspective, this is will cost me more than any repair I've ever done to the vehicle. At least Dozen gets paid for a portion of his miles.
Is the drive to TDIFest in your plans? :D

Perhaps we could announce the winner at the awards banquet!

CoolAirVw

Vendor
TDI
Jetta
dont give up! You can do it!

TomJD

Veteran Member
TDI
Is the drive to TDIFest in your plans? :D
Perhaps we could announce the winner at the awards banquet!
Unfortunately, I don't think so. Everyone of my friends is getting married this year and eating up my time off.

That being said, I may be in Virginia this summer. :D

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
You know where to find us. Stop by for beer and food!