A small upgrade - warning triangle mounting

Rechtsverdreher

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Passat (met its end), 2000 Jetta
Haven't seen this, so thought I'd mention it.

In Germany there are several requirements set out by the authorities for mandated safety equipment cars have to carry, including the first aid kit and the warning triangle.

I mention this because I noticed that the Audi's carry the warning triangle which is a nice fold up unit in a little holder under the package tray in the trunk. Take the mounting off with the screws from the Audi and it bolts into the same area on the Jetta (MKIV). These triangles also come in plastic cases, for instance in the Passat (B4) where they fit in a pocket on the left side of the trunk, but the Audi places it in the aforementioned holder. Small but easy upgrade.

(Used to have laying on top of the spare wheel but that caused the carpet not to lay flat)

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
I have one of the Audi units on the spare. It fits on the tire sidewall without carpet bulging. I don't have a case for it though, so that may be why it's thin enough.

Rechtsverdreher

Veteran Member
TDI
I didn't have a case for my triangle either, the carpet just did not sit right. Wonder why? It sat in the center though over the tire repair tool kit.

The vortex post essentially reflects the pieces that I got in the junkyard from an Audi. He's got a great idea installing it in the trunk lid of reflectivity, and I may still do that with another one, but I'm not sure how I feel drilling into the trunk liner on my MkIV.

Otherwise, its all the same pieces, just cheaper and in a different place. By the way, the Mercedes Benz carries a first aid kit, either in a roll or a plastic case. I change out what gets old with age and have a nice, cost effective kit in the trunk as well. Don't forget to pack the latex gloves.

glitdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Tdi asv motor in a mk3 golf, om642 in a wk jeep
Mark Iv Jetta's (technically Bora's) use a liner on the truck lid itself and the safety triangle is fixed to it.. Ask me how I know.. probably one of the only guys in N.A. with this mod.

Its a different setup from the Audi's it requires a different trunk liner that's standard on the n.a. version and is recessed where the triangle and mounting bracket affix to.
Very handy for two reasons.
1 Its out of the way and you dont have to worry about crushing in with your run of the mill supplies and items you store in the trunk.
2 you open the trunk on the side of the highway you instantly have more visibility. Of course if you were in a breakdown scenario you would want to remove the triangle and set it up approx 40 feet away from the vehicle.

Rechtsverdreher

Veteran Member
TDI
I like the trunk liner but would have to get rid of the Guido and Luigi trunk handle release.
So that trunk liner is only available in Europe I gather...

glitdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Tdi asv motor in a mk3 golf, om642 in a wk jeep
You can cut out the safety trunk release handle and install it. I couldn't be bothered...
Also yes its a Euro only piece to the best of my knowledge.