A Refuelling Mishap

listerone

Veteran Member
TDI
2018 BMW 540d
Just took delivery of my '09 Jetta Sedan.Was refuelling today and,after having pumped about 3 gallons,I realized that it wasn't ULSD (15 ppm) but,rather,the 500 ppm variety.I immediately stopped and drove about a mile to a station that sells ULSD.I filled up to the top at that station.Now,I have a full tank with about 3 gallons of 500 ppm and the rest being ULSD (15 ppm).Anyone know what,if any,damage to the vehicle could occur as the result of my inattention? TIA

Also,anone know if small quantities of diesel spilling onto paint,tires,etc will do any real harm? TIA!

Hui's 03 Jetta tdi

TDI
03 Jetta
In our area,northeast,As I understand it it is not even delivered to stations anymore,maybe the pump was mis-marked?

ON EDIT;on further thought I am just regergitating some info I got from a different diesel site a while back so I am not going to stand by the validity of this,sorry for the confusion.

Last edited:

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
listerone said:
Just took delivery of my '09 Jetta Sedan.Was refuelling today and,after having pumped about 3 gallons,I realized that it wasn't ULSD (15 ppm) but,rather,the 500 ppm variety.I immediately stopped and drove about a mile to a station that sells ULSD.I filled up to the top at that station.Now,I have a full tank with about 3 gallons of 500 ppm and the rest being ULSD (15 ppm).Anyone know what,if any,damage to the vehicle could occur as the result of my inattention? TIA

Also,anone know if small quantities of diesel spilling onto paint,tires,etc will do any real harm? TIA!
The odds are very good that both of pumps in question were dispensing ULSD regardless of the label.

You did the right thing by diluting with the proper (as near as anyone can tell) fuel ASAP. You did no lasting harm to your car, enjoy!!

Bill

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
Try contacting the fuel company and ask them what type of D2 they are selling? Here in Il Speedway was very responsive to my e-mails in regards to the % of bio in their ULSD.