A friend with 2006 Toureg TDI and DTC P1952

nhdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 GLS NB TDI 5 Speed
My friend's 2006 Touareg lost turbo boost and threw a CEL and DTC P1952 which relates to the turbo charger control module 1 defective. It's on its way to the dealer but he suspects the worst case is they will say replace both turbos...that seems to be their response to any turbo issues on these. Since it is just out of warranty (65K miles) he's asked for goodwill for any repair but hasn't officially been told one way or another. Does anyone know whether there is a common issue that can cause these symptoms or are new turbos just the standard fix all.

Last edited:

Yeti35

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Touareg V6 TDI
The V10's can go through turbo's. I hope he gets some good will if not the bill is going to be pricey. He is aware they drop the motor to replace said turbos? They are generally better off to replace both while the motor is already out so you are not back in there in a month or two with the other one blown.

NHV10

TDI
2@ 2005 Passat GLS TDI Wagon (one auto, one 5-speed manual), 2@2005 Passat TDI sedan (one GL auto and one GLS manual), 2006 Touareg V10, 2006 Jetta TDI, 2010 Jetta TDI
Update: it turns out that certain states, MA among them, require coverage of emissions-related components until 7 years, 70k miles, so my car, which is registered in MA, is being repaired under warranty.
While they have the motor out, can anyone suggest any other components that it would make sense to change? It would be a bummer to have an exhaust sensor fail and have to take out the engine all over again (and on my nickel)..

leicaman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE, 2005 TDI GLS, RIP
It it was expensive new, you can truly bet it will be expensive when it gets older. While the V10 TDI is truly a torque monster, a fat wallet really helps in keep it in the groove.

NHV10

TDI
2@ 2005 Passat GLS TDI Wagon (one auto, one 5-speed manual), 2@2005 Passat TDI sedan (one GL auto and one GLS manual), 2006 Touareg V10, 2006 Jetta TDI, 2010 Jetta TDI
Further update: I visited the car yesterday and the engine/transmission/front end are now sitting on the dolly with the body of the car suspended on the lift...an awesome sight! The old turbos were gone (returned as cores already) but the new ones, with Honeywell stickers but no other markings, were ready to be installed. The only thing I noticed that looked amiss was some carbon buildup in the air intake on the top of the engine. They agreed to give me a price to remove and clean it.

They also have replaced the electronic thermostat assembly (a substantial cast aluminum body with machined couplings to coolant hoses and an electric sensor wire was all I could see, it having been installed already) which they said was indicated by an error code, but which they had not mentioned in the original diagnosis...this seems strange. is it possible that a malfunctioning thermostat could have caused the problems with the turbos? There was never any evidence of overheating.

NHV10

TDI
Yes, I picked it up last week. So far, so good ! She runs like a top and seems as good as new.

Contrary to the dealer service guy's earlier statement that they would be changing the oil as a part of the turbo replacement, they in fact only topped it up with 4 quarts and did not change the filter.

It is going to Precision Imports in Manchester, NH on Monday morning for an oil change and thorough looking over...

NHV10

TDI
"Final" Update (fingers crossed)...Josh at Precision Imports said that everything looks great. He changed the oil while I waited and let me walk around under the lift and see everything back where it belongs (as opposed to a couple of weeks ago when the engine and tranny were on the dolly and the rest of the car was on the lift above). The shiny new turbos are visible from underneath and all of the various components are where they should be. With 12 fresh quarts of 507 spec oil the engine feels perfect. I gave it a thorough interior and exterior cleaning this weekend so it really looks great.

NHV10

TDI
Thank you. It's nice to know that the engine can come out and go back in without any problems, but I don't want to try it again to be extra sure!

NHV10

TDI
Further info: I met a veteran vw service manager from a Boston area vw dealer yesterday who says that the turbo failures stem from the corrosion and breaking of a pin that holds a rod that controls the waste gate. The failed pin causes the waste gate to stay open, which causes an imbalance in pressures, so the good turbo is also shut down and the cel illuminated. The new turbos have a galvanized pin that won't fail, but even if they do, he has developed a technique to replace it without removing the engine from the car or replacing the whole turbo units (which have to be replaced in pairs because they are a matched set, not simply because "once you're in there")

Pm me if you would like his contact information...it could save you a ton of time and money if you have this problem...

sjberg40

TDI
2004 Touareg V10 TDI
Further info: I met a veteran vw service manager from a Boston area vw dealer yesterday who says that the turbo failures stem from the corrosion and breaking of a pin that holds a rod that controls the waste gate. The failed pin causes the waste gate to stay open, which causes an imbalance in pressures, so the good turbo is also shut down and the cel illuminated. The new turbos have a galvanized pin that won't fail, but even if they do, he has developed a technique to replace it without removing the engine from the car or replacing the whole turbo units (which have to be replaced in pairs because they are a matched set, not simply because "once you're in there")

Pm me if you would like his contact information...it could save you a ton of time and money if you have this problem...
Looking at doing turbos on my V-10, PM sent.

tomdarcy

TDI
2008 T2 V10
I know this is an old thread but I can't seem to find anything on this issue. My 2008 Treg V10 is throwing the P1952 error and dinging the warning tones. Other than that, the turbos seem to generally be functioning normally.

It would be amazing to be able to fix this issue without removing and replacing the turbos. Has anyone actually done the pin upgrade? If so, details and photo's would be amazing...