A different kind of build alh content

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
My original plan for intercooling was to use a massive fmic I had left over from another build but I didn't like how much piping would be between the turbo outlet and the intake manifold that could add a lot of boost lag and clutter up the engine bay... So instead I built this
That's pretty sweet! I'm planning on a water to air on my caddy I'm swapping a tdi into. I got one from a 2012 Passat tdi. Seems to be a nice size.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
heh, my intercooler basically the same except I used the 4.5" core instead of the 3.5" one
it was also the first aluminum thing I welded
Really wish I'd gone with the 3.5" core like you did

I used a pump and radiator from the inverter on a 1st gen prius that was in the junkyard.

JonThomas91

TDI
Alh
I built 2 identical plates to base my motor mounts off of and tack welded them to the frame

I'll build the rest of the mounts off of this then pull the engine out so I can drill the holes. I'm not sure if I'll be able to use m12 rivnuts or if I'll have to cut into the frame to weld nuts in

JonThomas91

TDI
Alh
heh, my intercooler basically the same except I used the 4.5" core instead of the 3.5" one
it was also the first aluminum thing I welded
Really wish I'd gone with the 3.5" core like you did

I used a pump and radiator from the inverter on a 1st gen prius that was in the junkyard.
Did you use any kind of bracing to hold it or were the 6 original bolts enough to hold it?

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
Did you use any kind of bracing to hold it or were the 6 original bolts enough to hold it?
The 6 m8 bolts are plenty, didn't have any issues with it cracking there with some 50k miles (or more, I forget) on it
Did blow the tanks up like a balloon though when the line fell off my wastegate and it pegged my 60 psi boost gauge hard enough that I heard it wrap around and hit the wrong side of the needle stop.

on the frame, up here in rusty MN I'd 100% weld nuts in, rivnuts just start to spin in the base metal once there's a little bit of rust

JonThomas91

TDI
Alh
I got the motor perfectly centered and leveled and got my motor mounts tacked together today. I still need to make the transmission mount then I can pull the motor, drill the frame and get everything fully weled and braced

I'll cut open the frame and get nuts welded in for the mounts at some point too

JonThomas91

TDI
Alh
Just ordered a vnt 17plust turbo from kerma after I get that build the down pipe and do an oil filter relocation I'll be able to beging building the firewall/engine cover