A/C when I didn't ask for it

PaulB

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE M6
When I turn the fan on the A/C often (but not always) comes on with it. What's with that? Are we now too stupid to know when we want A/C, so now the car has to figure it out for us?

I know the dodge about using A/C for defogging the windows, but I almost never need it for that and if I do I can push the button myself.

cfm56

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta TDI SportWagen
im driving a hyndaui sonata at the moment instead of my golf tdi (accident) and the sonata does the same thing....its a big irritating

Softrockrenegade

Veteran Member
TDI
None...2011 Golf DSG (replaced by VW W/) 2013 Passat SE 6M(bought back) Current 2017 sportwagen TSI 4Motion.
The ac will come on of you have the temp on its coldest setting or thr fans in defroster mode .

PaulB

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE M6
I don't know about auto mode. Must be something in the Climatronic?

I can try leaving the temp off the lowest setting, but that is about as bad as having to remember to turn the A/C off. I wish there were some setting to make the whole thing manual.

<later>
Can't find anything in the manual about shutting the behavior off. The feature in question is called "Max A/C", which is selected by turning the temp dial full to the left (different from standard car behavior). Manual says, "The air recirculation and cooling system are switched on automatically." I call this sort of over-thinking the thing "new featuritis" or "engineering masturbation".

The funny thing is that the manual says, for maximum visibility, set the temp dial in the middle and turn the A/C on manually!

Last edited:

PaulB

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE M6
The manual also claims that it is a bad idea to leave the fan off because no fresh air will enter the car! I think this is nonsense; that is what the air recirculation switch is for, and I detect some air movement when the car is moving. I suppose they worry about sitting in a traffic jam. Got to suck those exhaust fumes in so you can breathe! :)

The one thing that should be automatic, which apparently is not, is shutting off air recirculation after a while. Other vehicles of mine have this feature and it makes sense.

The manual on page 232 recommends leaving the A/C switched on all the time! For visibility, but I never have much problem with that. Maybe in a heavy rain it's a good idea.

IXLR8

Veteran Member
TDI
12 Passat Platinum Gray, 02 Golf Black, 01 Jetta Black
I have climatronic in my '12 Passat, with outside temp at 45dF, heater temp set for 72dF, the $%^ AC is on!!?? Not just the light but I can also hear the compressor click on. I just turned the AC switch off and it doesn't come on any more and everything else about the climatronic seems to work fine.

TheGrove

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL Premium Opera Red - Dieselgate Fix, KermaTDI Tune, 2004 Passat GLS Northern Green-RIP
I have climatronic in my '12 Passat, with outside temp at 45dF, heater temp set for 72dF, the $%^ AC is on!!?? Not just the light but I can also hear the compressor click on. I just turned the AC switch off and it doesn't come on any more and everything else about the climatronic seems to work fine.
Remember the outside temp doesn't really have anything to do with the AC. If you have been parked in the sun so the car thinks it is hoter than the 72 you've requested it can run the AC to try and cool down the interior. I found on Friday with mine between the sun shinning in the roof all day and then hitting the temp sensor below the fan speed control it thought the inside was hot and wanted to run the AC. I just turned the temp up from 72 to about 75 and everything quit and I was quite comfortable.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Auto, defrost, and lowest temp will all turn on the AC. If you don't want it on, turn it back off. Pretty simple, really.

The AC is also continuously variable. If you have Climatronic, it will ramp down to almost nothing once it satisfies the temperature setpoint. There is no compressor "cycling" and the MPG penalty is very little unless you have the thing cranked on MAX all the time.

Salsaman06

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL (sold back to VWoA Dec 21, 2016)
Here is something I have observed with my Climatronic. It tends to "remember" previous configurations. For example, I can go to work in the morning, 45 degrees outside, and turn the temp into the heat zone. Then, at the end of the day, it might be 65 or 70 degrees out, I will not turn on the climate system on the way home, but half way there, I start to feel hot air leak from the outlets. But if I turn the temp back to cold before shutting off in the morning, the air that leaks out when I go home (with the system off) is ambient. In other words, it remembers the previous temp setting even when off. I've never seen an auto climate system do that. (this particular behavior mimics the manual HVAC controls)

Now, as for turning the temp all the way down to the lowest setting and the a/c turning on, it depends on what the setting was the last time you did that action. For example, as I turn the temp dial down the the lowest setting, if the a/c compressor comes on I just turn it off manually. THE NEXT TIME I turn the temp dial to the lowest setting, the compressor will NOT turn on. Likewise, I can turn on the compressor with the low temp setting and the next time I dial in the low temp, the compressor will turn on. In other words, it appears to remember what you want it to do with that action of turning the temp dial to its lowest setting.

I've not experimented any further to see what other configuration details it "remembers".

I wonder if the manual HVAC controls "remember" any of the electronic control settings? (assuming they have any) Obviously the mechanical settings will remain in the position you last had them until you change them manually again.

Last edited:

Salsaman06

Veteran Member
TDI
Its probably "remembering" how you want it to work. See my post above.

VernK

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat 2.5L Gas
The manual also claims that it is a bad idea to leave the fan off because no fresh air will enter the car! I think this is nonsense; that is what the air recirculation switch is for, and I detect some air movement when the car is moving. I suppose they worry about sitting in a traffic jam. Got to suck those exhaust fumes in so you can breathe! :)

The one thing that should be automatic, which apparently is not, is shutting off air recirculation after a while. Other vehicles of mine have this feature and it makes sense.

The manual on page 232 recommends leaving the A/C switched on all the time! For visibility, but I never have much problem with that. Maybe in a heavy rain it's a good idea.
With the fan off very little air enters the car, there isn't a strong ram effect. Recirculation doesn't affect that, just whether air comes from outside or inside the car. With the recirculation switch in auto recirculation is off except when the car detects bad air, you wash the windshield, select reverse or for specific climate functions (recirculate on to heat up or cool down faster).

Yours
Vern

VeeDubTDI

TDI
How the Passat HVAC systems work:

Here is something I have observed with my Climatronic. It tends to "remember" previous configurations. For example, I can go to work in the morning, 45 degrees outside, and turn the temp into the heat zone.
What is this "heat zone" you speak of? Climatronic has digital setpoints. :confused:

Salsaman06 said:
Its probably "remembering" how you want it to work. See my post above.
If you have Climatronic turned off and you press OFF again, it will wake up and restore to your previous settings. Pressing AUTO will wake it up in automatic mode (with the AC on). Pressing other buttons will make it wake up into the mode for whichever button you pressed.

As mentioned in an earlier post, the Passat has a variable output compressor via a refrigerant control valve. The compressor itself is always spinning, unlike an older compressor with a clutch that cycles. As you approach your zone temperature setpoint, the compressor unloads itself to maintain the desired temperature as efficiently as possible (older systems add heat rather than unloading the compressor). This is why there is very little fuel economy penalty for A/C use with Climatronic.*

Climatronic:

read more: http://my.vw.com/2012-passat/comfort/climatronic-heating-cooling

Manual Climate Control:

read more: http://my.vw.com/2013-passat/comfort/manual-climate-control

With the manual climate control, turning the temperature knob to the position shown in the pic (MAX A/C) will enable the compressor and engage the recirculation function. The detent on this knob position is very small and is easy to inadvertently select. If the system is off and you press OFF again, I suspect it will behave like the Climatronic system and restore to your previous settings.

On both climate control systems, pressing recirculate will also enable the compressor. This prevents humidity (from your breath) from building up in the cabin and subsequently fogging up the windows.

-----SIDEBAR-----

I think, but have not confirmed that the temp dial on the manual climate control actually corresponds to a zone temperature setpoint, rather than just regulating a heat flapper or valve. To explain it a little differently, I think that, for example, straight up on the temp knob could be 74 degrees and you can go up and down from there. The computer will automatically regulate the compressor load and/or add heat as necessary to maintain your setpoint. Any HVAC gurus out there feel like doing some testing?

*Before someone points out the RCV in previous TDIs (dating back to the ALH and maybe before?): that only regulates the refrigerant flow based on evaporator temperature - not based on zone temperature like the new models.

Last edited:

Salsaman06

Veteran Member
TDI
What is this "heat zone" you speak of? Climatronic has digital setpoints. :confused:
I was having difficulty trying to describe the behavior of the Climatronic that I was observing. The use of "heat zone" was my word choice, not that it is some official nomenclature out of the owners manual or factory shop manual. :eek: What I was referring to was moving the temp dial to a setting (any setting) that would cause heat to flow out of the registers instead of cold air. That range of temp settings (the zone if you will) that produces heat from the registers varies depending on the interior temp. That's what I meant by "heat zone". :)

Last edited:

jck66

Top Post Dawg
TDI
12 Passat SE / 14 BMW 535d
Thanks to you guys for the good explanation - but I have a follow up question: if the compressor is always spinning, what is the function of the Climatronic's AC button?

(And to show how out-of-touch I am, until yesterday I had no idea that variable A/C compressors existed... Kind of like until a few months ago I believed that no diesel engines had throttles!)

VeeDubTDI

TDI
The AC button enables the compressor's refrigerant control valve. With the AC button off, the compressor does no work.

PaulB

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE M6
Boy this is getting complicated. Makes me pine for the days with a lever controlling a cable controlling how much coolant went through the heater. Crude, but you didn't need a PhD to operate it. :)

I guess I will just get in the habit of looking for the A/C light and killing it whenever I see it, except when I want it. A pain in the butt.

I really do like that automatic rear view mirror though. Sometimes real progress is made...

Softrockrenegade

Veteran Member
TDI
None...2011 Golf DSG (replaced by VW W/) 2013 Passat SE 6M(bought back) Current 2017 sportwagen TSI 4Motion.
Easy .. Don't keep it on the coldest setting and don't keep it in full defrost and it will never come on when you start the car ;)

Salsaman06

Veteran Member
TDI
Boy this is getting complicated. Makes me pine for the days with a lever controlling a cable controlling how much coolant went through the heater. Crude, but you didn't need a PhD to operate it. :)

I guess I will just get in the habit of looking for the A/C light and killing it whenever I see it, except when I want it. A pain in the butt.

I really do like that automatic rear view mirror though. Sometimes real progress is made...
Don't let the mechanical details discourage or confuse you. The A/C button works the same as it always has because the physics behind it all has not changed. When a compressor is operating, it consumes energy from the engine (read that "burns more fuel") The difference between the old compressors and the Passat's is that the old compressors consume a fixed amount of energy from the engine as long as it's engaged. The Passat has a variable compressor which varies the amount of energy it consumes from the engine based on the demand for conditioned air. Over the long term, the Passat's variable compressor should consume less fuel than the traditional "fixed" compressor. But if you want to make sure it consumes the absolute minimum amount of energy, press the A/C button and turn it "off".

Last edited:

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Jetta (sold), 2010 JSW (sold), 2013 Passat 6MT traded for 2014 JSW with 6MT-TOTALED in November 2016, 2003 ALH 5MT conversion (sold), wheezing 2015 GSW/DSG and a new 2021 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 p'up
The ac will come on of you have the temp on its coldest setting or thr fans in defroster mode .
EXACTLY... Just adjust to ONE click off coldest setting, and turn off the A/C and recirc (which also automatically lights up!!!). It happens to me too.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Regarding fuel consumption, I have noticed better fuel economy with the AC on compared to windows down. Windows down creates a lot of drag.

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Jetta (sold), 2010 JSW (sold), 2013 Passat 6MT traded for 2014 JSW with 6MT-TOTALED in November 2016, 2003 ALH 5MT conversion (sold), wheezing 2015 GSW/DSG and a new 2021 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 p'up
And diesel is torquey enough to be unruffled by the refrigeration pump. I have always noticed the engine doesn't lose power at all when I turn on the air conditioning. It is one of the real benefits we enjoy with TDI.

Maybe it is more significant when you are loaded with passengers and/or stuff.

TurboDieselPoint

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SE 6-Speed Manual

If you have Climatronic turned off and you press OFF again, it will wake up and restore to your previous settings. Pressing AUTO will wake it up in automatic mode (with the AC on). Pressing other buttons will make it wake up into the mode for whichever button you pressed.

As mentioned in an earlier post, the Passat has a variable output compressor via a refrigerant control valve. The compressor itself is always spinning, unlike an older compressor with a clutch that cycles. As you approach your zone temperature setpoint, the compressor unloads itself to maintain the desired temperature as efficiently as possible (older systems add heat rather than unloading the compressor). This is why there is very little fuel economy penalty for A/C use with Climatronic.*

Climatronic:

read more: http://my.vw.com/2012-passat/comfort/climatronic-heating-cooling

Manual Climate Control:

read more: http://my.vw.com/2013-passat/comfort/manual-climate-control

With the manual climate control, turning the temperature knob to the position shown in the pic (MAX A/C) will enable the compressor and engage the recirculation function. The detent on this knob position is very small and is easy to inadvertently select. If the system is off and you press OFF again, I suspect it will behave like the Climatronic system and restore to your previous settings.

On both climate control systems, pressing recirculate will also enable the compressor. This prevents humidity (from your breath) from building up in the cabin and subsequently fogging up the windows.

-----SIDEBAR-----

I think, but have not confirmed that the temp dial on the manual climate control actually corresponds to a zone temperature setpoint, rather than just regulating a heat flapper or valve. To explain it a little differently, I think that, for example, straight up on the temp knob could be 74 degrees and you can go up and down from there. The computer will automatically regulate the compressor load and/or add heat as necessary to maintain your setpoint. Any HVAC gurus out there feel like doing some testing?

*Before someone points out the RCV in previous TDIs (dating back to the ALH and maybe before?): that only regulates the refrigerant flow based on evaporator temperature - not based on zone temperature like the new models.
On the manual climate control, you hypothesized that the temperature control knob corresponds to a setpoint, rather than just directly setting the RCV or heat flapper. Do you think the setpoints maintain a set temperature coming out of the vents or in the cabin as a whole?

VeeDubTDI

TDI
I really don't know. I'd love to see some experimentation to see exactly how it behaves.

brent_strong

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI
It would very likely be at a temp sensor in the cabin. The air coming out of the vents is significantly warmer/cooler than the cabin temp....having 68* air come out of the vents would never warm/cool the cabin quickly enough to be effective.