A/C No Workie (of Course); Little Help Please

thebigarniedog

Master of the Obvious
TDI
1998 Jetta tdi
A/C stopped blowing code Saturday evening :confused:. Both Fans work when I engage the compressor (ie turn the AC on); light also lights up on the panel as it should. I noticed that my Strip Fuse is shot (ordered new one). A/C charge looks good. Does this strip fuse have anything to do with A/C workie or no workie?

Open to suggestions ........

16vjohn

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
EA288 CVCA 6MT
I'm fairly certain that strip fuse is for the cooling fan... even though your fan is running, that might be a circuit that the AC uses to determine if the fan is on. You could try jumping it with a small wire to see if anything improves.

Is the compressor turning? There's the pulley that moves independently of the compressor clutch... the clutch is the middle part inside that pulley. You should see that whole assembly spinning if the compressor has power. If the compressor is spinning, the AC should blow cold, provided the cooling fans are keeping the condenser cold enough and there is refrigerant.

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
Nope,that's the coolant glow plug relay-usually they start melting.Looks like the wires have some corrosion on them also. The screws might be a PITA to remove-my little black box is melted(common problem on the A3's),but the strip fuse is intact. IIRC it is a 50amp strip fuse,last one I bought years ago at dealer was a buck or two.You could always check your local parts stores in case they might have one.

sfierz

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Tornado Red Passat
How do you know the refrigerant pressure is OK? Usually, if it is just a little low the compressor will not kick in and you will get no cooling. Filling it to the correct level will get the A/C working again. Just be careful not to overfill and use gauges.