a/c effectiveness in vw tdi's

tom

Veteran Member
a/c effectiveness in vw tdi\'s

I live in Arizona, we us our a/c a good part of the year under difficult conditions due to the very high temps. folks who own tdi's: do these cars have effective air? what sort of drain on power? any other effects on the car when using the air?(positive/negative)
your experiences on this subject would be most appreciated, Thanks.

surfTDI

Veteran Member
Re: a/c effectiveness in vw tdi\'s

In New Enlgand we just went through a
series of 95 degree days. The AC worked
well in my dark blue Golf TDI with black
cloth interiors. But the car does take
time to cool down, mostly because of the
amount of glass and the heat that builds
up when parked - it gets HOT in there.

Except for the LOUD hum that I get when I
turn off the A/C (Still to be resolved),
I say it is a well done system.

M

mickey

We finally had a couple of 90 degree days in Utah recently. The A/C in my '99 NB worked fine, set on recirculate with the fan on "2". A bit noisy, but effective. A/C systems will never be as cold as they were back in the Freon days, but what can you do?

There is a noticable drain on power. Not enough to be a problem if you're a good little boy, but enough that it made a good excuse for a Wetterauer upgrade. (Any excuse will do, actually.) The motor had plenty of torque when it was stock, but "plenty" was not enough for me. Besides, running the A/C is the only way you'll ever know if your radiator cooling fans work.

-mickey

Switca

RIP, Gone But Not Forgotten

For years, I used one of those reflective shades you put in the windshield in my black in black Honda.

The Jetta's windshield was a bit smaller, so I bought a new one for the black in black Jetta.

The new shade goes in the front, supported by the visors and the old one goes in the back, supported by the fully extended head rests.

The shades cut way down on the passive solar gain.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI

When did VW switch from R-12 to R-134? Does the A/C in a 1996 Passat have R-12 or R-134? Also, anyone have experience with how many years VW A/C systems usually last before crapping out? The A/C in my Toyota didn't do much from the day I got it (4 years old).

Sorry for the multiple questions, I just bought the car so I'm all excited!

Olli

Veteran Member

Automakers began the transition from R-12 to R-134a with the 1992 models. The transition was complete with the 1994 model year regardless of make. To help prolong the life of your A/C compressor you need to run it at least once a month. 4 years is not the normal life span of an auto A/C compressor.

Olli HVAC/R Tech.

EPA A/C Refrigeration Cert. Universal

EPA A/C Cert. Automotive

N.B. "Freon" is a brand name and not a type of refrigerant

M

mickey

"Popsicle" is also a brand name, but what else would you call it?

-mickey

M

mickey

Good idea. I can just hear my kid now: "Mommy, I gotta boo boo. I need a disposable adhesive bandage strip".

-mickey

p.s. That request would be directed to my wife, you understand. He knows who "Mommy" is. He also knows that Dad just tells him to "Cowboy up! It's right in the middle of Seinfeld!"

[This message has been edited by mickey (edited June 16, 1999).]

Joe Rappa

Veteran Member
TDI
None at the moment

I drive a 99 Golf. The A/C blows around 48 degrees F at full blower speed with no recirculation. At lower blower speeds it can get down to 42 degrees. That's not too bad. I don't notice a power difference when the A/C is turned on. Diesels have plenty of torque.
Joe Rappa

Peter Cheuk

Gasser :P
TDI
'06 Jetta GLI

The AC system works well on our cars. The power loss is equivalent to about 500 lbs of passengers being loaded into your car instantly. While the motor can handle it, I've noticed that I'm deeper into the throttle than normal. The impression is that the motor is sluggish. When I need power to pass, the switch goes off and away I go. Then the switch goes back on. Not enough to toast me, but enough to toast the guy I just passed.
The Hopa module (or Wetterauer chip) helps.

------------------
'98 Jetta TDi with Hopa Module and custom short shifter

sljkr

Veteran Member

Here in Fort Worth Texas I have used the A/C almost constantly. I don't notice any major difference in power. In comparing with my previous gas powered vehicles, I definitely don't notice the power drag at idle that has always been the case with gas vehs. The air seems to work extremely well, mine being very close to as cold as any previous generation r-12 freon A/C system. The interior (black leatherette) cools extremely well even after sitting in direct sun.

------------------
99 Silver NB TDI

nrg

I live in the UK so its an exciting day when I get to use my A/C. At first I wasnt too impressed as it didnt seem cold, but I think its relative to outside. The hotter outside the colder inside. Its the manual A/C just turn it to cool. (Couldnt afford the posh set up). What temps should come out of the blowers when its working properley. Out of curiosity? I havent noticed any power drop at all, but I do have to have the blowers on hard to cool down on the odd hot day.

M

mickey

The important thing is not the temperature of the air coming from the vents, it's the DIFFERENCE in temperature before and after the air passes through the A/C coil. I'm not sure what the temperature drop should be. The Bentely manual specifies a lot of different refrigerant temperatures for different locations in the system, and under different conditions. I guess that's how the professionals check the system. If I had to guess, somewhere around 45 degrees F. coming from the vents after the system has been running for a few minutes would be pretty good.

-mickey