A/C Compressor replacement in DC - anyone w/ a evac machine?

peace_of_soul

TDI
2000 Jetta, 2012 Passat
I will be replacing my a/c compressor in the near future.
I have read this thread
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=146151&highlight=(install+replace)+a/c+compressor+hose
which was very helpful.
Before I try to tow my car to Jiffy Lube and have them do an evac/charge for me, I was wondering if anyone in the DC area had a machine for vacuuming out the R-134a that would be willing to share.
I can clean the expansion valve, remove the receiver/drier, and replace the a/c compressor and then have it towed. It is currently in the Springfield area.
Thanks for your help.
(For those of you interested in the whole saga, see this thread.)
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=224177

peace_of_soul

TDI
2000 Jetta, 2012 Passat
Ninedee_golf_tdi, very true, no towing is necessary.

After research and suggestions from tdi enthusiasts more experienced than I, I feel confident going ahead to flush, vacuum, and recharge my system.

Before I buy a set of R-134a gauges and vacuum pump, though, I was wondering if anyone nearby in the DC metro area has one or both that they could loan me.

(I found a decent vacuum pump on Harbor Freight I could get shipped for $88 and can look on eBay for the gauges - after all, maybe it wouldn't be so bad to have the tools on hand...)

owr084

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat GLS, 2005, Stonehenge Gray
peace_of_soul said:
(I found a decent vacuum pump on Harbor Freight I could get shipped for $88 and can look on eBay for the gauges - after all, maybe it wouldn't be so bad to have the tools on hand...)
There is a Harbor Freight store right down in Woodbridge by Potomac Mills. They also have cheaper vacuum pumps that use compressed air.

peace_of_soul

TDI
2000 Jetta, 2012 Passat
Just wanted to explain what happened. Thanks to all the guys who responded. I would really like to thank Piper 109 for loaning his pump out to me, kudos to you. :D

With some extensive coaching (www.autoacforum.com and www.airconditioning.com was helpful, as well) I was able to flush the hoses with mineral spirits and then special a/c flush fluid, replace the a/c compressor, clean the expansion valve, and replace the drier.

Then, I evacuated the system for 2 1/2 hours, and then charged the system with two cans of freon. I realize that leaves me about 80 grams short, but I will check the system in a couple of days to check to see how the pressure is holding. It blows cold, now, but it is october, after all, and I won't be using the a/c much. :)

TDI
96 glx variant tdi
For others reading this, generally you only need to flush the system out when the compressor grenades and even then you will probably miss something causing problems in a few hours. Good practice for when you really need it though.

Keven

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
You can rent vac pumps and A/C manifold kits at AutoZone, I just re did the A/C on my Mustang a few weeks ago. FREE!!!

peace_of_soul

TDI
2000 Jetta, 2012 Passat
Keven said:
You can rent vac pumps and A/C manifold kits at AutoZone, I just re did the A/C on my Mustang a few weeks ago. FREE!!!
Not in NoVA you can't . . . we tried. Got an A/C clutch tool from them, though. Although we ended up not needing it because the clutch we ordered fell through and we ended up having to buy an all-new compressor.

(Although I can't complain there . . . worked out better in the long run, I'm sure.)