A bit of advice...hpfp?

djjaes

TDI
2013 Jetta Sedan DSG
This may not be in the correct spot. I have a 13 Jetta, now 112k miles, at 120k emission warranty is out. Random, usually, cold starts, stutter then shuts off. It takes multiple attempts to get it to start. Very random at this point. Past 4-6 months happened two maybe three times. Possible sign of high pressure fuel pump? I have 10k service 2/17, I will ask them to take a look at the system.

I use shell diesel 99% of time in KY, I use diesel power service additive every few fill ups. Mostly high way driving , average 250 miles a week just for work, average speed 70 or so most of those 250. I otherwise live in small town so no real congested traffic/stop go consistent driving.

I’m considering how much longer to keep the vehicle, especially out the emissions warranty.

update:

I do have dsg model and run in sport mode occasionally to keep rpms up to help dpf, well so I think it helps.

ebain21

TDI
2012 Golf TDI 6M
Sounds an awful lot like water in the intercooler. Check out the threads on that for the Mk6 cars. HPFP seems to be more isolated to the earlier MK6 cars or related to bad fuel/dieselgate cars sitting for long periods of time.

djjaes

TDI
2013 Jetta Sedan DSG
Sounds an awful lot like water in the intercooler. Check out the threads on that for the Mk6 cars. HPFP seems to be more isolated to the earlier MK6 cars or related to bad fuel/dieselgate cars sitting for long periods of time.
After posting then seeing the sticky, it does seem like this...I’ll ask VW bout the TSB and if there is a solution but I still may request a Fuel System check, especially before 120k emissions warranty run out... I had planned to keep the car, maybe a dpf/egr delete etc but def don’t want a hpfp blowing up on me before or after such an install.

2004LB7

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
you could always pull the regulator off the pump and inspect the screen for metal particles. at least that may give you some piece of mind

djjaes

TDI
2013 Jetta Sedan DSG
you could always pull the regulator off the pump and inspect the screen for metal particles. at least that may give you some piece of mind
Def a great idea. We are having ice/snow storms so perhaps afterwards I will be able to check. Additionally I have switched. to Stanadyne fuel additive for TDI, so fingers crossed.

jetlagmech

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 jetta
another possibility is the fuel rail is losing pressure sitting overnight. the pressure retention valve, that holds pressure in the line and returns extra fuel to the tank, could be leaking. there have been several people having to change this valve.

djjaes

TDI
2013 Jetta Sedan DSG
Update: after VW 110k service, they said excessive water in inner cooler, drained and ordered the winter version, cover under diesel warranty...def need to check the other things mentioned above as well.

06bluebeetletdi

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 Passat TDI SEL and '13 Beetle TDI
Just an fyi, the cold weather kit doesn’t solve the problem, make sure to get someone to pull the intercooler hose occasionally (i pull mine every 5,000 miles after my 2nd frozen intercooler and i had the cold weather kit installed after the first one) and dump the water out.

djjaes

TDI
2013 Jetta Sedan DSG
Just an fyi, the cold weather kit doesn’t solve the problem, make sure to get someone to pull the intercooler hose occasionally (i pull mine every 5,000 miles after my 2nd frozen intercooler and i had the cold weather kit installed after the first one) and dump the water out.
I was thinking this...at least step in a better direction...I've seen a few reports of some putting in a small hole to allow it to drain on its own. However, I def plan to drain it more regularly.

jetlagmech

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 jetta
I drilled the tiny hole in mine and put a little screw in it during non winter months. there is always a pile of goo on my underbelly plastic cover every time I pull it down.

djjaes

TDI
2013 Jetta Sedan DSG
I drilled the tiny hole in mine and put a little screw in it during non winter months. there is always a pile of goo on my underbelly plastic cover every time I pull it down.
I have been reading the forums on this, kinda torn bout it, although it is not perfect solution. As well, I was thinking on the winter covers, at least for the lower grill...with the hole option, I would be a bit concerned with boost loss and poss. damage to other systems. I am wondering if draining at least every oil change at 10K is good enough. Now, I need to decide on a possible tune after warranty runs out, decisions.

Matt927

Veteran Member
TDI
several
Block your lower grille in the colder months, it will solve your problem and you wont have to drill holes in your charge air system.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
The cold weather intercooler helps, but it often won't eliminate the issue. Blocking the grill in cold weather will likely do the rest of the job for most people. But if all else fails, turning the low pressure EGR off is a 100% fixed forever remedy for this quite common issue.

No idea why some folks have more problems than others, other than driving style. I recently did a delete/tune on someone's car who has had chronic problems with it. I had the car sitting in my driveway (after being driven there and parked from a good distance away) and sent the ECU out. I got the ECU back, it was 2 F that morning. The car was having a hard time starting so I left it until it warmed up (in Missouri that is usually a short wait). Two days later, it was 54 F (again, Missouri...), I started the car with a stumble, but it did start. Moved it out of my driveway, up to the carport, it ran for maybe two minutes as I prepped my tow dolly to bring it in to do the exhaust. Shut the car off and went inside. Went out the next morning: hydrolocked HARD. So hard, the dumbass keyless start auto-crank nonsense cooked the starter motor right in front of me! Had to push it on the dolly, drag it to the shop, rack it, do the whole "drain the quart of water, manually roll the engine backwards then forwards" nonsense and in this case replace the starter motor. It fired right up (after the exhaust was swapped) but dang... it literally idled for two minutes and that was enough along with whatever was already in there to cause this to happen.