Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Well now I've had a good laugh for the evening

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Hahahahaha!!

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
stop trolling him. Let the thread die.
Not really trolling. You can't come out and say something like that, which could be potentially be very beneficial for troubleshooting mpg issues, and not follow up.

I don't know what kind of forum etiquette you follow, but if I did a tech write-up (across one of the many forums I'm apart of) and figured out a way to make it faster, simpler, easier on everyone, but didn't follow up, that's just poor forum etiquette.

Small example...I figured out how to re adjust the front doors without taking anything apart (except the inside trim piece by the kick panel). I could have started a thread and said, "I re adjusted my front doors without removing anything!" And left it at that. Poor forum etiquette IMO. But I didn't do that and followed through with a write up with photos. Now, no one may have cared as it's not maybe a very common thing people care about, but obviously the thread he started has gandered a LOT of interest amongst the community.

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
Not really trolling. You can't come out and say something like that, which could be potentially be very beneficial for troubleshooting mpg issues, and not follow up.

I don't know what kind of forum etiquette you follow, but if I did a tech write-up (across one of the many forums I'm apart of) and figured out a way to make it faster, simpler, easier on everyone, but didn't follow up, that's just poor forum etiquette.

Small example...I figured out how to re adjust the front doors without taking anything apart (except the inside trim piece by the kick panel). I could have started a thread and said, "I re adjusted my front doors without removing anything!" And left it at that. Poor forum etiquette IMO. But I didn't do that and followed through with a write up with photos. Now, no one may have cared as it's not maybe a very common thing people care about, but obviously the thread he started has gandered a LOT of interest amongst the community.
let me spell it out for you then with this follow up: the outside air temp sensor had nothing to do with his increased FE. The fact that he has NOT chimed in after being informed that there is zero connection between the OAT and the ECM might mean he wants it to go away. Also somebody posted a meme on that thread of Steve Colbert sharpening a pitchfork... if that's not some kind of troll i don't know what is.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
I wouldn't call it trolling, but more of just other members bandwagoning the fact that others are upset he didn't chime back in. I do think this thread, as much as I found it amusing, was a little overkill. I do agree though that having some closure on "found solutions" is nice though, as there's too many threads here that have just trailed off without any resolution. Maybe Herm found something else that helped his fuel eco, and just hasn't gotten back yet. He'll reply when he's ready. Hopefully.

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
stop trolling him. Let the thread die.
Seconded. If there's further updates down the road and the OP wants to post he will... but none of us are owed anything.

Come to think of it, one could make the case that it's poor forum etiquette to insist otherwise. :) :)

STDOUBT

Veteran Member
TDI
dos jettas
let me spell it out for you then with this follow up: the outside air temp sensor had nothing to do with his increased FE. The fact that he has NOT chimed in after being informed that there is zero connection between the OAT and the ECM might mean he wants it to go away. Also somebody posted a meme on that thread of Steve Colbert sharpening a pitchfork... if that's not some kind of troll i don't know what is.
I don't understand why you think Herm "has been informed". I saw no evidence of that. His FE went up and he claimed it was due to the AAT sensor. If he comes back and says "IDK what could explain the bump in FE" then that's fine. He put something out there, several of us shot it down, you among them, and he's said nothing. You may think he wants it to go away, but I very much doubt it. He's big enough not to hide from his errors I'm sure of that. Posting is free. Ignoring this thread and the other one is your option, and costs you nothing. There have been plenty of threads I thought were stupid, and I ignored them. If we or I keep his thread going with our whining, it doesn't hurt you. Why do you care if we (I) let it go or not?
Here's a thought: you let it go. Thanks!

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
I don't understand why you think Herm "has been informed". I saw no evidence of that. His FE went up and he claimed it was due to the AAT sensor. If he comes back and says "IDK what could explain the bump in FE" then that's fine. He put something out there, several of us shot it down, you among them, and he's said nothing. You may think he wants it to go away, but I very much doubt it. He's big enough not to hide from his errors I'm sure of that. Posting is free. Ignoring this thread and the other one is your option, and costs you nothing. There have been plenty of threads I thought were stupid, and I ignored them. If we or I keep his thread going with our whining, it doesn't hurt you. Why do you care if we (I) let it go or not?
Here's a thought: you let it go. Thanks!
what's the real point in prodding Herm to reappear? You already know the answer is NOT the oat sensor. If i have spell out why your posts seem troll like then i'm afraid you just won't get why he might be making himself scarce. If it makes you happy to keep digging then dig away.

Last edited:

STDOUBT

Veteran Member
TDI
dos jettas
jimbote, the solution to the mystery of why his FE went up markedly is worth annoying a couple people IMO - if that's trolling I guess I'm new to the internet.
I think it's weird, frankly, that you suggest Herm is ducking away from this.
Who'd do that? I bet he's sitting back laughing at both of us. If anything he's inadvertantly (or not) trolling all of us.
IIRC, Herm enjoys a good *****fest anyway. I'll stop bumping though. Wouldn't want to make Herm feel all harassed and prodded lol

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
I replied to that thread with what I understood the sensor did very early on, hence contradicting the OPs stance. Which was why I personally, was looking for clarification, if something else was meant by that post.

You think you're spelling it out for me? My point was, why would you leave something that beneficial to so many people, hanging? I enjoy documenting and sharing things that are beneficial. Maybe that's a personality trait.

How many tech articles have you written and dropped because maybe you failed?
I've done quite a few (not necessarily here) where the outcome I had envisioned didn't manifest. But, I owned up to it in the thread. There's no shame in that. Then again, I don't give a hoot whether people like it or not. If it's not interesting then it can be bypassed. Beauty of forums and topics.

gmenounos

Vendor
TDI
'99.5 Golf GLS, '01 Jetta GLX Wagon (TDI conversion)
The fact that he has NOT chimed in after being informed that there is zero connection between the OAT and the ECM might mean he wants it to go away.
Well, a classier way to make it go away is to just say, "Oops my bad, turns out that had nothing to do with it. Sorry to get all your hopes up." Herm seems pretty well respected here. Admitting one goof isn't going to affect that.

I own 2 MKIVs that don't get stellar MPG so I'm always on the lookout for some magic bullet that might be the cure. However, though I do regular maintenance and fix things when they break, both cars are really old now and there could be a pile of things that have degraded to the point that they're all hurting MPG, but not degraded to the point that they're identifiable as broken. (Every time I read a post by IndigoBlueWagon bragging about his amazing MPG on a recent road trip, it rubs a little more salt in my wounds :) ). Like many of you, I was hoping that Herm's thread would give me one more easy thing to check that might help my MPG, but apparently that isn't going to happen.